NOTE: On my personal blog, today, I have a bird image I took last week at Lakeview Park here in town. The bird is nearly camouflaged - like hunting for the renowned children's hidden objects in the book...WHERE'S WALDO. If you'd care to give a go at finding it...be my guest LINK WILL OPEN IN A NEW WINDOW. Click on the thumbnail image below, or skim down to view my other bird photos for the day [or both]:
. . . <---thumbnail link
ROSEATE SPOONBILL[s]
Oso Bay Observation Deck - Corpus Christi, Texas
BROWN THRASHER
photo taken: Hans Suter Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range map:
COMMON NIGHTHAWK [aka goatsucker]
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture Reserve - Port Aransas, Texas
[common nighthawk and lesser nighthawk are similar except for the white on the wingbar - common nighthawk the white is more centralized - lesser nighthawk the white is closer to the tip of the wing]
GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
Hans Suter Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
TROPICAL KINGBIRD
photo taken: Hans Suter Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas [last July]
habitat range map:
Another confusing bird to ID --all the references to the habitat range shows that tropical kingbirds are 'non-existent' in my area. But then again, the Wood Stork habitat range didn't show Coastal Texas as being in their range either and we saw one last year [no doubt in my mind and yours if you know what a wood stork looks like]...but, the tropical kingbird's color and markings with the descriptions online show me 99% of the info matches...you decide. According to two bird guide books and wikipedia: An adult Tropical Kingbird is 22 cm long and weighs 39 g. The head is pale grey [check], with a darker eye mask [check], an orange crown stripe [check...it did have this, but nearly invisible in my photo because of the angle], and a heavy grey bill [check]. The back is greyish-green [check], and the wing and forked tail are brown [check]. The throat is pale grey, becoming olive on the breast, with the rest of the underparts being yellow [checkmate!]. The sexes are similar, but young birds have pale buff edges on the wing coverts.
So, I did some online digging, and found this helpful site that may come in handy enough that I added it to my sidebar for future use. eBird Range Map It shows the percentage of sightings in a certain area around the world of any bird that you care to research. Arrows show the area I live, and on the right side of the graphic, it shows a percentage of 0-25% possibility....
connecting to:








Love those spoonbills! I love that they have those pink feathers.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link to the range map. Might help me ID a bird hubby and I have seen this week for the first time in our yard.
Going to go play Where's Anni's bird now. :)
That can rather frustrating when you're trying to ID a bird that doesn't belong in the area. The worst part is coming across escaped parrots that you know shouldn't be in the area:) Love your shots. Exciting stuff!
ReplyDeleteThose spponbills look like they've had the pink painted on them, I'd really like to see some birds like that. From Findlay
ReplyDeleteThat was fantastic birds, those spoonbills!
ReplyDeleteGreetings Pia
great shots!!! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures ;-)
ReplyDeleteCéline & Philippe
Great collection of birds, Anni! I love the Spoonbill and the Nighthawk! Great sightings!
ReplyDeletethe nighthawk is awesome! love those spoonbills, too!
ReplyDeleteAll beautiful birds but the spoonbills are especially great with that color. I followed your links but needed help finding that little bird :-)
ReplyDeleteAdmire your bird shots, Anni and salute to all efforts to identify them.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni
ReplyDeleteNice pictures you show a some beautiful birds, we do not have in this country.
Thanks for the comment on my blog - has no white swans (mute swans) where you live?
Wish you a good day :)
Hanne Bente
Oh your spoon bills are amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteSpoonbills are one of my favorite birds. You gota love those pink feathers and wide smiling bill :>)
ReplyDeleteThese are are all beauties, Anni.. have a delightful week!
I've never had the pleasure of seeing a Spoonbill.
ReplyDeleteThey appear to be a fascinating bird to observe.
Thank you for sharing!
I think you are spot on with your Tropical Kingbird Anni. You are only just outside the range shown on the map and a range map can only show the normal range, not those few birds which don't always fit the so called norm.
ReplyDeleteDu zeigst wieder sehr schöne Vögel liebe Anni, ich bewundere dich.
ReplyDeleteLG Mathilda ♥
Hi !
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting us on "Les Fous du Cap" and to have left a few words. We love your photos and your blog ;-)
Céline & Philippe
Those spoonbills are great Anni!
ReplyDeleteeach is beautiful in your series, but my hat goes off to the roseate spoonbill; how spectacular compared to our lovely white ones. What a little touch of 'rose' will do ...
ReplyDeleteThose spoonbills are incredible! Love 'em
ReplyDeleteWonderful birds. I'll never forget the first time we saw roseate spoonbills (in Port A)...we see them in Florida too, but you never forget your first time ;>)).....nighthawks are a favorite too, from my childhood in Eastern Washington.
ReplyDeleteNeat, neat the Nighthawk...one bird that I have longed to see for a very long time!!!
ReplyDeleteIs it an owl? ^_^ Happy birdin!
ReplyDeleteVisiting from Water World Wednesday
Kim,USA
That's a wonderful shot of the Nighthawk!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures - I love to see those spoonbills - we have two species here, but they are not pink!
ReplyDeleteI watched Nightjars (Nighthawks) landing on the lawn of our hotel when I was in Oman last week - no decent pictures as it was pitch black apart from a few table lamps!
Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Australia
Brilliant! Thoroughly enjoyed this Anni, thank you and have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteVery nice post and interesting to read .... I love visiting this blog.
ReplyDeleteThose are fantastic shots! You did a beautiful job..
ReplyDeleteNot a 'tropical' but an Eastern Kingbird was seen recently over here (Galway, Ireland) .. a first for the western palearctic, interesting to get to grips with this family.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog by the way, love the nighthawk pic ... you have a new follower!
Tim @ Timbobaggins Abroad