The Migrating...
AMERICAN WIGEON
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
The American Wigeon population experienced a major, drought-induced decline in the early 1980s, cutting the population almost in half. By 1997, the population had steadily recovered to near-former levels and is considered stable. The breeding grounds are fairly stable for this far-north breeder, although migration stopover and wintering sites are threatened by the loss of wetlands that has occurred throughout the United States.
...and the not migrating

BOAT TAILED GRACKLE [female]
photo taken: Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
I've been reading up on grackles vs. cowbirds since this photo I got shows such a vivid bronze head and breast. At first glance I thought this was a cowbird. But the beak was too elongated. Then, when taking the photo from the camera card to upload it to the blog, I noticed the eye color. While checking for identification, it's stated that grackles have a distinct bright golden yellow eye color. YET...reading on one site, it tells me that boat tailed grackles have dark eyes along the Atlantic coast while in the Gulf Coast area, the eyes are yellow. Reading further, cowbirds...nation wide, have dark eyes and a thicker beak. So, I'm sticking with female boat tailed grackle. I love the challenge. Even if I may be incorrect for now, unless otherwise told differently.

CAYUGA DUCK
photo taken: Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
This breed of duck is listed as threatened by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, tho considered a domesticated duck. The Cayuga is in the "Medium class" and has been a recognized breed of the American Poultry Association since 1874. the standard weight for adult males is 8 pounds and females 7 pounds. The Cayuga are characterized by a black bill and black plumage which is an iridescent beetle green in the correct light. The temperament of the Cayuga is docile, and adult Cayuga Ducks enjoy eating snails, slugs, and most other insects.




The Widgeons are beautiful! I've never seen a Cayuga duck before.
ReplyDeleteThey are indeed. I hope to get a much better photo before they leave the area. And the Cayuga duck is mostly seen on farms. These [there are two that I've seen] are a permanent resident of a city park lake.
DeleteNice pictures you show.
ReplyDeleteI really like the picture of the boat tailed Grackle.
Hanne Bente
...that is pretty isn't it?!!! Glad you stopped by Hanne and thanks.
DeleteHi Anni, thanks for hosting this fun meme. I enjoyed your post and I love the Wigeons. The males is a beautiful duck. Have a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDelete...thanks Eileen, and have a wonderful weekend yourself!
DeleteThe Widgeons are gorgeous, Anni. The Cayuga Duck is a beautiful color, isn't he?
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Betsy
...on the Cayuga duck...the photo doesn't do the coloration justice.
Deletethe cayuga is beautiful!
ReplyDelete...he was absolutely gorgeous, such great iridescence.
DeleteWonderful birds to see Anni...
ReplyDelete...thank YOU Andrew.
DeleteCowbirds are about half the size of a grackle. I'll have to post some when they return to the yard.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to remember that...the size does matter then. LOL
DeleteThe Cayuga duck is really beautiful. I've never seen one. It looks like the American Wigeon is scarce here in Minnesota.
ReplyDeleteYou never know....there may be a rogue flock in MN.
DeleteReally awesome photos! I'd never thought I would find a grackle really handsome, but this one is!
ReplyDelete...the color blew my mind....just so bronze and the green iridescence on the black...it was beautiful.
DeleteI enjoy your beautiful photos, Anni.. I don't get to see these colorful ducks.
ReplyDelete...thanks, glad you paid me a visit.
DeleteI first saw the Great-tailed Grackles when I moved to Dallas. Although I grew up in New Jersey, the Boat-tails had not extended their range northward at that time. So, when I saw them on my first visit to coastal Texas I naturally embarrassed myself in front of several other birders by calling them "Great-tails." Now I know better, as we are surrounded by them in Florida. They can make the most interesting (and indescribable) sounds and can be very loud! Nice images and info about the exotic duck and the wigeons. I grew up calling the latter "Baldpates," and after the name change I had to remember they put a "WIG-ON" over their 'pates.
ReplyDeletegrackles...they're a difficult species because of the likeness to a few others. At least that's my dilemma.
DeleteHi Anni. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your holiday and family time and thanks for the American Wigeon. Like to see one over here sometime.
ReplyDeleteThe Cayuga, with its iridescent green feathers is a beauty!
DeletePhil....thanks. I must admit this is the first season I have found a wigeon.
DeletePat....yes they are pretty, very pretty when the light is hitting it just right. Otherwise they look black.
DeleteSo wundervoll deine gefiederten Gefährten.
ReplyDeleteLG Mathilda ♥
...thanks 'Tilda
DeleteWow Anni, you've presented me with two new birds. I had know idea that there was a Cayuga duck or other variety of Grackle. Extremely cool! Thanks for sharing your work and knowledge.
ReplyDelete...well, I admit, I'm not too knowledgeable, but I'm learning as I go. Thanks.
DeleteWow, that Cayuga Duck is stunning! We do get the Widgens up here in the summer and yup, they are heading south. Cool birds.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to see such a rich, wonderful iridescence myself.
Delete...there are three or four at this particular lake, and they're there year 'round. I saw them often times, but didn't realize they had such a green sheen to their feathers 'til this one had the sun hitting it just right...otherwise they look entirely black.
ReplyDeleteAnni, it's me again. Thanks for visiting my new blog site. Unfortunately, your comment was caught in spam and when I thought I was tagging it as "not spam" it simply vanished. Sorry about that.
ReplyDelete