A Fishin' Tale...



GREEN WINGED TEAL [duck]
photo taken: Oso Bay feeder channel - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:




COMMON TERN?
photo taken: Hans Suter Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:

Note: I'm 99% sure this is the 'common tern' as apposed to Forster's or Caspian Tern. But the beak color is nearly red, and the caspian is supposedly [from what I read] the only tern with nearly red-orange beak. Thing is, the wing tips are black on the caspian; this photo shows no black. And the leg color is not visible. What do you think? Which species of tern is it? Anybody? [addendum: From Ken and Phil's comments, it's a Royal Tern!!]


PEREGRINE FALCON
photo taken: JFK Causeway - between Padre Island & Corpus Christi
During the Winter months and into early Spring we can see anywhere from one to nine osprey on the power lines and light poles along the highway toward the islands in a three to five minute time span...the other day, there was a falcon. Depending on the hour of day of course. And being a very heavily trafficked area - I pull off onto the emergency shoulder to snap photos from the car window. Oh how the bridge bounces with the cars zooming past me. Whoa. But these beauties are always worth stopping to photograph with a given chance.



EASTERN PHOEBE
photos taken: Mesquite woods near Lake at LakeView Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:



GREAT BLUE HERON - "Hey, Tri? How's the fishin' on the far side of the channel? Any good?"
TRI-COLORED HERON - "Oh ya, it's good GB. But I let the big one get away!"
GREAT BLUE HERON - "How big?"
TRI-COLORED HERON [spreadin' its wings] - "This big!"
GREAT BLUE HERON - "I'll stick around then, maybe I'll have some luck."
photo taken:  Hans Suter Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas









34 comments:

  1. the green-winged teals are such pretty ducks! like the fishing tale at the end, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are pretty. As for the conversation? Well, I couldn't resist. :o)

      Delete
  2. Nice images. I especially like the phoebe. Their eyes often do not stand out against their dark face, but you really succeeded. I'll go with Royal Tern-- it seems more dainty than Caspian, which reminds me of a gull in flight, and its bill its more narrow than I remember in the Caspian. Of course some expert can provide us with a teaching moment if we are wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ken, I made note of it. I appreciate the help.

      Delete
  3. I think Ken is right. more a Royal than a carrot-bill Caspian. Thanks for hosting this site Anni, it's too easy to overlook all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...without you and others, this meme wouldn't exist, so thank YOU and all.

      Delete
  4. I have scrolled through your photos several times! So lovely! Especially love the cheeky little face of the phoebe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Teal is gorgeous! I've never seen them here. Love the osprey, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Brian. Coming from you and knowing your photography talent/skill, that makes me happy.

      Delete
  6. Great series of bird captures, Anni.
    Sounds like the conversation my hubs had with his fishing buddies this morning.. nobody caught nutin:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often wondered if birds communicate in such a way?!! LOL
      ...glad you enjoyed the photos this time 'round Pam.

      Delete
  7. The phoebe is really cute and something we don't see here. Herons are always fun and I enjoy them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those phoebes are very difficult to see...not to mention photographing them, they flit around so. And I too love herons.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photo series showing.
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots, Anni. The teal has pretty markings, very unusual. Nice view of the osprey, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, I love your pretty Teal and the Phoebe is adorable! Great post! Thanks for hosting, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...and thank YOU for participating so faithfully!!

      Delete
  11. Lovely birds. I love the little Phoebe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the teals. We have one of them and it is so small. And beautiful. And really hard to get close to.

    Thanks for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I don't see to many in and about our area...so this was a treat to be able to capture it in photo.

      Delete
  13. Oh Anni this is my most favorite blog in the entire world I do believe!! I forgot about this and for some reasons my blog list is not updating properly.

    Oh thank you for sharing all of these beautiful pictures with us!!
    Happy birding!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great birds Annie -- I am sorry I didn't see your email about your bird blog until today, so it's kind of late to join. Once we get organized and get out to see some Florida birds I will join in -- I've added the site to my meme list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'll be waiting. Florida is a great place for birding to be sure.

      Delete
  15. Hi,

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog, and commenting on the Green Bee-eater post. I have added a link here as advised by you.

    Your photography is awesome. Finding so many birds and taking their neat photographs is not an easy task. So hats off to you :)

    I know that free suggestions are useless. But if you are not that person, I have a suggestion for you. If possible, please let the linky tool have photos of the link providers. It will make your posts more interesting and engaging. You may ignore this suggestion; I won't feel bad :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for linking up. Your photos are superb. I'm glad you decided to add your post link here. And if you ever have any more bird photos...do stop by.

      Delete
  16. I'll whisper a hint to a phoebe next time I see one. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice shots of the birds Anni. I especially like the Royal Tern in flight. I must say your Osprey looks like a Peregrine Falcon to me ;-) Dark head, stripes on leg feathers and yellow facial skin around the eye with yellow legs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, thank you so very much. I appreciate all the help I can get when it comes to ID'ing birds.

      Delete

Table of Contents