Bays and Hill Country...



TRI-COLORED HERON
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:



OSPREY
photo taken: JFK Causeway [between mainland & Padre Island] - Corpus Christi, Texas
notice his lunch? Sushi?
Habitat Range:



GREEN HERON
photo taken: Hans Suter Nature Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:





WHITE IBIS
photo taken: Oso Bay - A&M Campus Birding Trail
Habitat Range:





- - -

Over the Thanksgiving 3 day weekend, we took a road trip to the Texas Hill Country north of us. Up through Austin, and into Pedernales [pronounced ped -as in pedal-, ur NAL -as in Cal- ees *ped ur NAL ees] State Park. Mainly, to see the change of color in the trees...oak, ash, walnut, etc. The bird life in the Hill Country is usually quite active, but being the time of day we were in the park, there was not much activity. We saw mostly black and turkey vultures flying high and soaring in the sky. As we hiked near the Pedernales Falls in one section of the area, and while we were climbing down to the water, a Great Blue Heron flew in. I was surprised with this occurrence - a bit unexpected. And the only other bird that flew into the treetops was a crow. It was time, by then, to move on to another area of the state.   And while driving the narrow highways in the back country there was no chance of stopping, no shoulders on the highway to pull off and view any more. We did see a lot of Autumn foliage tho, up in the high country of Texas!!!  Other than photographing some Autumn scenes, we stopped at many many historical areas to learn about the history of which I plan on posting a photo history on my personal blog in due time.

Crow ...........................................................Great Blue Heron...............................................Black Vultures








34 comments:

  1. what a great tri-color! i'd love to see one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures you show - really like the first with heron.
    Have put link in but it was not visible ..... why I do not know.
    Wish you a good Saturday night / good weekend :)
    Hanne Bente www.hbt.finus.dk

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tri-colored Heron is a beauty!
    The links are not accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I hope they're working now for you. I musta 'ticked' the wrong area this time.

      Delete
  4. so much to learn from your posts.

    But today our links is not visible. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for adding your link. I think they're working now.

      Delete
  5. Link is not showing!! Great post. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Links not visible Anni. Maybe the Osprey ate them along with that enormous fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they other day when we drove over the causeway, we counted NINE ospreys, and each one had a fish. At that rate, the fish will all disappear. [wink]

      Delete
  7. Hi Anni, your tr-colored heron is beautiful. And I always love the Green Herons, wonderful collection of birds for your post. Thanks for hosting, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Tricolored Heron Anni! It sounds like a beautiful trip too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Larry. Yes, the trip, tho a quick one, was very nice.

      Delete
  9. Great photos! I love the Tri-colored Heron! Wish we had them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Brian. I too love the tri-colored. As I really enjoy your bird photos.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful shots! Such a different variety than I have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many great photos!!! Love learning all the "other" places some of these birds reside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new header with the cardinals. The beak on the ibis is amazing, it is so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the compliment!!! And I agree the beaks are extremely long.

      Delete
  13. Love the birds presented today. I really like how you put the maps in under the photo. They really help me learn the range of these birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks I always appreciate positive feedback.

      Delete
  14. ...the tri-colored is a favorite of mine...when the sunlight is on it just right, there is quite a lot of purple. Thanks for the compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That tri-colored heron is one beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great group of birds, Anni. I especially like that first one today. The background really shows off that Tri-colored Heron. Awesome!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tri-color is almost a creamy delicious coloration.

      Delete
  17. Wow thank you for inviting me to join in Anni. I love the Hill country and just like your other blog I love it here too!! I love your bird shots. We have a Great Blue Heron that visits us occasionally.

    I had two marvelous shots of him flying in and flying away the other morning but I didn't have the memory card in my camera. Hopefully he will come back soon!

    I just love birds and I added this to my roll so I can keep up!
    Happy birding!
    Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie....glad you could find time to add your link and leave such a pleasant and positive feedback. I do so enjoy your bird photos today.

      Delete

Table of Contents