Bobbleheads? [kidding!]


DICKCISSEL
photo taken: Hilltop Community Trail - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:


BELTED KINGFISHER
photo taken: Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas
Habitat Range:


NORTHERN CARDINAL [female]
photo taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:

WHITE PELICAN [top] and SNOWY EGRET [bottom]
photo taken: Hans Suter Reserve - Corpus Christ, Texas
Habitat Ranges [white pelicans -left- snowy egret - right]



BUFFLEHEAD DUCK [male]

BUFFLEHEAD DUCK [female]
photo[s] taken: Hans Suter Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
This particular duck species was very difficult to photograph!! I've been wanting to see one for several years now, to no avail. Until this past week. So quick they are...bobbing up from the lower waters, only to all too soon disappear again just as quickly as it surfaced. They are quite small in size compared to other ducks. The Bufflehead [and its mate - I read they are monogamous!] moved so very swiftly, my camera and my patience didn't pay off too well. The male is quite stark in contrasting colors...with a faint deep purple iridescence on the head's dark patches along with a rich emerald green...all faintly visible. The female is drab brown with a glossy white patch on each side of its head. They are beautiful!! The photo of the male was taken at o'dark thirty...before sunrise, when they are most active. The female was much later, after sunrise, but the same area. I love how they dive from the surface to feed ---like a swimmer diving from the pool's diving board. Comical, fun, active, gregarious ducks! I've vowed to stick to the task of getting a 'great' photo in the future. By the way, I nicknamed them BOBBLEhead 'cause of the way they bob in and out of the water so quickly. LOL


TRI-COLORED HERON
photo taken: Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas
Habitat Range:








36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. ...thanks Andrew, I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  2. Great image series showing some incredibly beautiful birds.
    Wish you a good weekend :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice series of photos. The cardinals are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful series of birds, Anni! The Kingfisher is a great sighting and I love the Buffleheads. Thanks for hosting, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. You have a great weekend yourself.

      Delete
  5. thanks, anni. i will join in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bird photos and write up are great. I make a link. Hope it works. I will be doing a lot of birding on my Big Adventure so I will be sure to add more. Best of luck to you and happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your additions. Y'know, as I posted in your comments, I really miss the Cactus Wren.

      Delete
  7. They are beautiful as ever Anni. We have a Blue Heron that use to visit everyday. Of course, he's always here when I forget to take my camera out. I am concerned though because someone was telling me about a big nest they found on the ground in the field behind our house and I haven't seen the Heron for almost two weeks. I hope he/she's okay. We have watched him and another grow up from wee little things to full size. I miss seeing him.

    Anni my husband told me tonight that I really need to start thinking about getting a new camera.....got any suggestions? My only have to have is that my Cannon 400mm EF will work with it.

    Happy birding and weekend!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope nothing happened to it....and the heron will return to you soon. As for the camera....I can't really recommend any one particular camera...some are good for one thing, while others are good for something else. It just depends on what you want from it. Y'know?

      Delete
  8. I had no idea how many types of cardinal there were out there (we don't get any). Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially like the male cardinals...they're soooooooo red.

      Delete
  9. I love the Kingisher. I don´t know why, but it is close to my heart.

    Have you made any changes to your setting of your main blog? When I responded to your comment using your link I was directed to your testblog. And that one is a dead end. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, if it took you to my profile my test blog link is there. But, I just edited it to keep the 'test' blog from being displayed.

      Delete
  10. Buffleheads are tricky to catch a picture of. The snowy egret is a pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that, they are!!! Very difficult to capture them before the dive underwater again.

      Delete
  11. My favorite is the female cardinal. They have such subtle beauty. As for the Bufflehead, I still have not gotten a decent shot of one. You did very well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All beautiful birds Anni, I love how you gift them a soft oval frame. I haven't taken any bird photos for a while but as soon as I do I will be joining in again. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Denise. Just pop on in anytime you want to share your bird photos. Oh, and I did pay you a visit today, but not sure my comment went through....computer froze for a minute.

      Delete
  13. A wonderful selection of birds Anni! I must tell you that I LOVE Buffleheads! Everything about them makes them fun to watch. The way they dive and bob back up, the iridescent head of the male and they way they fly in and ski to a stop is just so cool. One more thing makes them cool too, they nest in trees just like Wood Ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen them 'ski' across water yet. But hope to.

      Delete
  14. Nice series of bobble shots Anni. I always like to see the "pointy heads" the Cardinal. Thanks for hosting yet again. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  15. not too close on the cardinal...just a zoom lens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always love an owl! The kingfishers around here are so skittish I never get a good shot. Nice! I learn so much about your birds here.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents