Before I really got into photographing the birds in my area, while out and about, just walking for exercise, I happened to notice a growth [so to speak] on a few of the white pelicans' beaks. In all naivete I thought it was like a tumor/deformation of some sort. Now that I've actually did the research, and found out differently, I have to laugh at myself. Oh what I don't know....it astounds me. And my learning curve on all the bird species in Coastal Bend Texas is rapidly growing, but still I am learning more. Now, you ask, what is so special about this growth on the White Pelicans' beaks? It seems that when the 'hump' forms, it's breeding season, and they're ready to mate, or have mated [the hump on the adult bird disappears after the eggs are laid]. Some sites say it's a 'horn'...but I'd prefer a breeding hump terminology instead...being 'horny' just doesn't cut it for me. rofl. Not only that aspect of the breeding time, I also have noticed that the coloration of the bills and around the eyes, become a more prominent, brighter color...ranging from bright pink in the sunlight to a vivid orange; as are the 'naked' areas where there are no feathers, after the mating season ends, the colors become duller and more a golden yellow-orange. The white pelicans do not dive for feeding either...which I've noticed while watching them...unlike the American Brown Pelican that feeds by diving for fish. The white pelicans use their elongated bill and lower sac to scoop up fish as they swim. Also, in regards to the hump during the weeks of breeding, I have yet to find for sure if this is just the male of the species or both male and female [some sites don't tell me either, while others tell me it's male, and some even have said it's both]...it's hard to tell when I'm out looking and taking pictures as the two, male and female, are marked exactly alike --except with the exception of size.
Anyway, to stop gabbing on and on about my findings, I will share some photos of one that I spotted the other day on the bay waters that has the 'beginnings' of the beak's hump...maybe in a few weeks this area may have some white pelican chicks out and about!!!





the following two photos show the breeding 'hump' [1st photo is taken last week, while the 2nd photo has been posted here before; in June of 2012]


WHITE PELICANS
Photos taken: Hans Suter Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:

read more on White Pelicans
Nice pictures you show of some beautiful pelicans :) Hanne Bente
ReplyDeleteThe colours of their beaks are gorgeous. And I didn't know about the breeding hump, either - nature never stops to surprise me.
ReplyDeleteInteresting about the breeding hump on the pelicans. Always good to learn something new. I used to be a better birder - belonging to the Audubon Society, helping with counts, - even went to Audubon's camp on Hog Island in Maine. Then life got complicated for a few years and I've not taken it up again. So thanks for your pictures, this way I can still follow along.
ReplyDeletegreat looking birds.
ReplyDeleteOnce again you have out done yourself. These are all gorgeous. I love the action shots where they are drying off and the color of their beaks is so delicate yet striking at the same time.
ReplyDeleteOh Anni, I think my company left behind a wee bug. I am not feeling well at all. I had to take some medicine for my stomach and I am headed to rest today. I think I have a touch of tummy flu. I don't have a fever but need lots of tissues and I have a cough.
I'll visit everyone first thing in the morning. I hope everyone is having a grand weekend and I can't wait to see everyone's bird shots!
Beautiful photos of the pelicans! Interesting to learn about the breeding hump. I had no idea.
ReplyDeleteTheir pink and yellow beaks are certainly attractive. White Pelicans are much prettier than the Browns we have here.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful captures, Anni. Thanks for hosting TBD
Wonderful series of pelican images! I adore these big ungainly birds! Such crazy characters! The breeding hump totally surprises me! I guess that must apply to pelicans in Australia too! We have the white variety with black tipped wings and not the brown pelicans!
ReplyDeleteWas für traumhaft schöne Fotos!!
ReplyDeleteLG Mathilda ♥
Lovely pelicans. They are great!
ReplyDeleteThose snowy white pelicans are so pretty. There is always something new to learn about nature, isn't there? Thanks for sharing your new-found knowledge.
ReplyDeleteWell I enjoyed learning about the Pelican breeding hump. My husband has been impressed with what I have learned about the birds that frequent my feeders and how I am learning some of their sounds.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are wonderful. I especially like the ones showing the wing span and the dark colored tips.
Beautiful shots of the Pelicans, Anni!
ReplyDeleteGreat series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteAmazing birds tho aren't they. My favorite to watch is when they preen with those long bills!
ReplyDeleteThanks Everyone!!
ReplyDeleteI'm always pleased to have you all link up so I can enjoy such wonderful bird photos!!
Have a great week.
That is really interesting! Excellent shots.
ReplyDeletethis pelican is very nice. I would love to see it. Thanks for sharing. :)
ReplyDeleteHi !
ReplyDeleteBeautiful colour tones in this pelican pictures !
Lorents H, Norway
Very cute!
ReplyDeleteso lovely pics! :)
DeleteGreat post on the American White Pelican Anni! From what I know, both sexes develop the "epidermal plate" but the male's horn as it is sometimes called, is larger than the female's.
ReplyDelete