'Coat' of Many Colors


I am 64 years young today...so, I thought for my birthday, I'd post this special bird for the occasion.  I think I finally ID'd this little booger!!! I found it amongst the thicket just off the bridge that crosses a small run-off creek by the bay waters, in a thickly wooded area. The tiny beautifully marked bird was quite elusive. By this I mean, I was seen chasing it around here and there 'cause it wouldn't remain still long enough for me to focus on it before it flitted to another branch. At long last, Bud [my husband] spotted it in the low lying area near the small creek bed. I was able to stand behind a tree just off the path, and get a good focus. Well, at least enough to photograph it as it cleaned itself, a bit oblivious to me being so nearby. The late time of day and the sun hitting the area in the leaves and branches also made it difficult to try and identify it because the coloration is off somewhat...casting a yellow glow on some photos. Well, when I got home and uploaded from the camera card to the computer, I viewed it. Then...to my dismay I could not find anything online, or in my bird guides, that resembled the markings and colors. After days of trying on my own, I faced my dilemma head on and posted a photo [one of several only] on the "What Bird Is This" Forum. There, no one knew. In fact, some of the bird experts were not helpful at all being that they responded that the photo was over exposed...sorry, but it's not...straight off the camera. Others even went and told me it was an orange toed bird. No help at all, and not funny as they thought when I was seriously trying to ID. Off and on I was adamant, knowing that someday when I had a lot of time, I would continue my search...using clues from other bird sites and clicking on different links that sounded similar to this particular bird. One time, clicking away because of ID similarities, I turned up with a bird from South Africa! Nope...not that one. After a long time of searching off and on...I found it...I think...on my own accord!!! The Corpus Christi Audubon Society told me that they are extremely rare here in town. Right now, I'm so pleased with my finding. I did it. And, hoping that all you bird experts out here that frequent my photo blog, won't tell me differently. LOL I will be elated if my IDing is correct. And, if so, I won't ever forget this one. After finding one photo online that closely resembled my photos, I went to other sites after I typed in its name, through google and found many similarities. I also read on another birding area web site that they are quite abundant on the King's Ranch [which is only minutes away from Corpus Christi]......

Besides, it's pretty. {I'm also thinking this is a young one; without the maturation markings...or perhaps a female}












NORTHERN PARULA
photos taken: Hans Suter Nature Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:

comparison with google searches
ONE and TWO




42 comments:

  1. Hello Anni. HAPPY 64 years - great pictures you show a very beautiful bird, I have seen / or read about. Wishing you a great birthday / good weekend :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!
    I've never even heard to that bird species, but it sure is pretty. ID a bird after tha much work really burns its name into the brain :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will...thing is, if it's so rare in our area, I probably won't be lucky enough to see another. Thanks for the birthday greeting.

      Delete
  3. i hope you're right on your rare sighting! i'd have guessed a female or immature painted bunting, but i'd probably be wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked them...and the immature/adult painted buntings have dark feet and a dark, one color beak. This bird has a light colored lower mandible and orange/pink feet.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday and good for you on getting these wonderful shots. This bird is really beautiful!

    I hope you have a glorious birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jackie. We just got back from my annual shrimp 'fest' of fried Gulf Shrimp. Yummy. :o)

      Delete
  5. You are 8 months older than I am! Happiest birthday to you! I too love celebrating my birthdays with Nature! I love bushwalks or the sea and try to go somewhere new for my birthday + camera of course!
    And your little bird is almost like a mix of sparrow textures and canary yellow with a touch of lorikeet green! A fascinating little character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so your birthday is in October then? It was rainy a lot of the day today, so no birding for me. Just eating out. :o)

      Delete
  6. Hi Anni, I sure hope you are right on your rare sighting. Happy Birthday, hope you are having a great day! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to a young a heart gal we all appreciate for her gorgeous photos and hosting TBD on your special day.

    Anni, I love your many birds and their colorful feathered coats.
    Have a happy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a female Northern Parula. See Boreal Birds. They have a female photo. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you responded on your thoughts Gary...thanks.

      Delete
  9. That is SOOOO CUTE! I'm glad you were finally able to get photos. Happy Bird, er, Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....like the reference to 'bird'day. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. It certainly is a wonderful sighting! Hope you're having a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you were up to the challenge and found out what it was! That is the fun of birding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I was getting frustrated there, for a while. But so glad I found the species name.

      Delete
  12. So glad you were finally able to identify this little beauty! I've never heard of the Northern Parula but it looks like it does migrate through Minnesota.
    Happy Birthday by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you... maybe you may see one in the Spring up in your area.

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday, Anni!!! I hope you have had a Great Day! I think your photos of this beautiful little bird are wonderful. You managed to capture it quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the series of the elusive one. If only these little birds would sit still long enough for a photo op, but they seem to know I'm trying to get a good picture and tease me unmercifully. LOL

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday!!! Wishing you many many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. it´s a lovely little bird. Congrats to the bird sighting and the birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If my opinion means anything Anni, I agree with you and Happy Birthday! It looks like a first year female to me. Congratulations on working out your own ID. I would also admonish anyone giving excuses as to why they couldn't ID something. Rather than criticize, maybe they should just say "I'm sorry, I can't help you" and go on with their business. The birding community doesn't need snotty people, we're having too much fun to deal with bad attitudes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and I very much appreciate your opinion.

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday Anni, I hope you had a wonderful day. I am back to join in and have linked up this week. Have a great birthday week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool...I so enjoy your bird photos and your commentary on your blog.

      Delete
  18. What a sweet little bird :) Happy Birthday!!
    (I really want to say Happy "Bird"day) ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I'll take it....I like the concept of happy 'Bird'day.

      Delete
  19. Happy birthday! What a beautiful bird you've shared with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry I missed your birthday! Hope it was a great day! Love the NORTHERN PARULA. What a great series and wonderful find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you missed it....I remember your BD wishes on Hootin' Anni's site. Glad you enjoyed the parula.

      Delete
  21. Hi, Anni-- I've been having trouble getting on the Internet while visiting our daughter's home in Illinois-- painfully slow connections. I made your Northern Parula photo look more like the field guide just by adjusting the white balance. Nice little bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be darned!!!
      Working on cooler colors in the automatic color balance in my installed program [I don't have photoshop] worked. I guess it's a good thing to remember the time of day the photos are taken. But yes, I do believe it looks much more a 'likeness' of the Parula now. Thanks for the tip. I will have to remember it.

      Delete

Table of Contents