...but this post is 'heavy' with a lot of photos today!! I spied it high up in a tree. From our garage, the tree, a distance of approximately 100 yards away, the cottonwood deadened by too many winters and drought and left to mark the skyline -- a lone falcon perched above, supping on his prey!! After I noticed that it flew and landed on the highest branch, I ran in and loaded the camera's battery in hopes of getting in on some of the actions.
Bud was watching it through the binoculars as I was primed with the lens. He said "It looks like he caught himself a grackle for lunch". Okay, I'll agree. Whatever you say dear one...a grackle for lunch...grackle kebob "on a steek"!!












That Merlin certainly was very cooperative! I've only been able to photograph them from a distance, and never got one eating prey. I was too slow twice-- the first time when a Merlin picked a Tree Swallow right out to the sky at Cape May, NJ, and the second not long ago near home when one caught a Mourning Dove on the wing. Very dramatic!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great series of photos.
ReplyDeleteneat to see a merlin!
ReplyDeleteAwesome falcon!!! And your pictures...you can even see the wind blowing the feathers away. And I love the way you arranged your header.
ReplyDeleteWhat a thrill to see this bird in action! O wow! Love all the stages of the activity you have captured!
ReplyDeleteAnd in answer to your question, "Gemma" is pronounced as in "gem"!
Wow, what amazing photos of the Falcon with his prey. He could have a feast in my back yard with all the Grackles that have been visiting lately. They have taken over my feeders, so much that I stopped filling them up in the hope that they will move on.
ReplyDeleteAnni, cool sighting of the Merlin! Great shots! Happy Saint Patricks Day!
ReplyDeleteMerlins are beautiful birds to see...
ReplyDeleteYou did great getting those shots Anni. A once in a lifetime chance to see a Merlin feeding like that. By the way i posted a Stock Dove for you. It's a close relative of our UK Wood Pigeon.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had great fun watching him!
ReplyDeleteNice find!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteNice post, a lot to see!
ReplyDeleteGreat shots!
ReplyDeleteFantastic photographs. I am greeting
ReplyDeleteLove the last shot with the feathers flying! Looks like he was quite pleased with his catch!
ReplyDeleteOh boy, dinner! Those claws have a death grip.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, I had difficulty linking today so I will be back. My post is at: http://anenglishgirlrambles.blogspot.com/2013-03/pelican-take-off.html
ReplyDeleteThat last shot looks like he is gagging...I'd be gagging too!
ReplyDeletegreat shots Anni. I know how hard it is to get good shots from that distance. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting this meme. And I´m happy you like my shots.
Hi Anni, I am back to thank you for adding my link to your list, so a big thank you from me. I am happy to be able to link up after taking photos of birds.
ReplyDeleteNice photos and thank you for the help.
ReplyDeleteIncredible shots of the Merlin with its prey Anni! I feel special just seeing a Merlin ;-)
ReplyDeleteWow..those are fantastic capture!
ReplyDeleteI witnessed a hawk eating a baby squirrel right in my backyard, not a good sight to see but it's the circle of life.