What in the Sandhill.....


I won't chat much today since there are a lot of photos to load on this post. A little over a week ago, Bud and I were informed that several Whooping Cranes were spotted along the Lamar Peninsula on Goose Island just outside of Rockport, Texas. We drove there in hopes of seeing one or two and was treated to three Whooping families and dozens of Sandhill Cranes....








WHOOPING CRANES & SANDHILL CRANES
Photos taken: Lamar Peninsula, Goose Island State Park - Rockport, Texas
Habitat Range: Whooping Cranes - Sandhill Cranes

TRIVIA:
The trachea (windpipe) of the Whooping Crane coils about 23 cm (9 inches) into its sternum (breast bone) while the bird calls, increasing volume and allowing for variation in pitch.  [tallest bird in North  America]  Same with Sandhill Cranes.

Sandhill Crane chicks can leave the nest within 8 hours of hatching, and are even capable of swimming.

ps...thanks goes to Phil for correction on ID'ing the Dowitcher last week. Much appreciated Thumbnail links are now paid subscriptions only. Sorry.


...now, share your birding experiences:








25 comments:

  1. Looks like a family group of Whooping Cranes. We were visited by two captive-reared Whooping Cranes last year at about this time. They migrated to our wetlands from Wisconsin without assistance of the ultralight craft.Sadly, both died during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni, that was an exciting outing.. seeing both the Whooping Cranes and the Sandhill Cranes together. Very cool! Awesome photos. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for inviting me over Anni, and your new bio photo is lovely.
    I enjoyed seeing both types of cranes and hope the juvenile whooping crane gets more feathers soon. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shots! I'm a bit envious since I've never seen either species. We do get some Sandhill Cranes in the western part of the state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would love to see either of these species.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the Sandhill Cranes every year as they migrate through the area,but would love to see a Whooping Crane.Perhaps some year I will be lucky enough to see one,until then,I will enjoy the pictures you show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fabulous birds to see! Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great captures this wonderfull birds,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely serie, great birdphotos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. They sure are big birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos and such an opportunity! I enjoyed your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos.... Love your header!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, thanks for sharing your comparisons. Sandhill Cranes have been seen in recent years in my region.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a treat you had. Love taht you werea able to shoot both species and both adult and young. :) Thankd for sharing and for hosting your meme.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful! I've only seen cranes from a great distance, never this close.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a treat to see these!! They are trying to help increase the population of sandhill cranes in Louisiana in an area not far from here. Birders have been advised to stay clear until they can be established. It's so tempting to want to go out there. I'll be back to link up tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have enjoyed that trip! - And I love the title of your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That juvenile looks like he's going through an awkward stage. Great pics and thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am lucky enough to have Sandhill Cranes fly directly over my home during migration every year and we get thousands of them that winter in the Sacramento Valley of California, but I have never seen the Whooping Crane. I do support the Whooping Crane however (http://operationmigration.org/contribute.htm#contribution) and hope to see them in Texas sometime in the not too distant future. Great shots Anni and thanks for hosting The Bird D'pot!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great opportunity to see the Whoopers! We have seen a few during migration here in central Florida. Love the Sandhills! We're blessed with a resident population and each winter host thousands of migrants from the north.

    Great post, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Sandhill is an extraordinary bird. Great photos! I am trying to link up but my server keeps cutting in and out today. I will keep trying :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, so I have now joined both of your blogs, and i see where this area is... by rockport. Your shots are awesome, so I will definitely check this place out and so hope to get some good shots. I am planning to rent a 400 mm lens, as I did not think my 200 would do the trick. Are you able to get anywhere close to these birds/? Or a pretty far distance. I am dying to get there, and so hoping to see some wonderful birds! Thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the area is fenced off...but the road is surrounding the entire crane land/feeders...
      and with a 400mm lens, even your 200 would get some good images!! It all depends on where the birds are/if there the time you are...in the field as to how close you get.

      Delete
  23. Oh, and do you have any really good birding books for coastal birds that you would recommend??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Birding-Corpus-Christi-Coastal-Bend/Jamie-Ritter/9780762739158?gclid=CPnAns2MurwCFZRr7AodMhAAIg

      Its title is Corpus Christi, but most of the coastal areas have the same species....I have several books on birds...mostly to ID them. But, if you're interested in only the coastal area I'd recommend this book.

      Delete

Table of Contents