"...You can fly away, in the sky away. You're more lucky than me. Wish that I were a yellow bird, I'd fly away with you." The words you just read are part of lyrics from a Chris Isaak song, "Yellow Bird". These birds were very abundant in the park the other day when we were there. Their songs carried from a far distance, and if you ever hear their call, you'll know right away what species it is. Their song is so very similar to their name ---'kissss kah DEE'. Very strong, loud, and at times a bit thunderous. Especially when there are dozens within the area all at once. Anyway, on this particular day and time I was in the park, several seemed to follow me...at first I thought I was chasing them...but in all reality I think they were chasing ME...protecting their territory which I was invading!! Perhaps they thought they were hiding behind their masks...but I saw 'em. Great Kiskadees are gorgeous creatures. Both when posing for the camera and when in flight. The bright yellow breast is stunning. And the rusty wings in flight are something to behold, and the prominent black and white mask is defining. And with the close up images I was able to capture you can see by the small feathers atop their beaks, is a tell tale sign they are flycatchers. All in all, I think for the feathered friends and me...it was a game of hide and seek....or 'get the heck outta our space, lady!!'
GREAT KISKADEE
photos taken: Blucher Park - downtown Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Great Kiskadee
TRIVIA:
For U.S. birders, Great Kiskadees belong to a suite of South Texas specialties, along with Green Jays and Altamira Orioles—birds with mostly tropical ranges that extend just north of the Texas border.
The Great Kiskadee is one of the largest and most boisterous members of the tyrant flycatcher family.
...now it's time for you to share your birding experiences:






What a great bird with a great name! Love these captures Anni!
ReplyDeleteAnni, it is cool that their sounds help with id-ing the bird. They are pretty birds.. Wonderful photos. Thank you for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteGreat takes. Love it all.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful bird! The yellow colour is so pretty. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeletea very handsome bird! have never seen one of those in person.
ReplyDeleteVery sweet photos, indeed! Have a lovely day!
ReplyDeleteYour photos of the Great Kiskadee are fantastic Anni, never seen this pretty bird before. Thanks for sharing and hosting. Have a great weekend :) I have added my link here also.
ReplyDeleteWonderfull post and fotos, greeting from Belgium
ReplyDeleteI had the pleasure to see the Kiskadee in Costa Rika. They were quite common I think. :)
ReplyDeleteNice colouring on the Kiskadee, I'm sure the name must have come from their call.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first I have ever heard of Great Kiskadees!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteI discovered your photo project at Retriever kat-scrap-louisettesblogs.blogspot and bring today a my first post. So i hope that your rules are not overlooked and have possibly violated.
Add your own photos of the birds I think is great. Amazing!
Thanks for hosting and sharing.
Have a nice Sunday, greetings from Berlin, Wieczora (◔‿◔) | my photoblog
What a beautiful bird - thanks for the info!
ReplyDeleteAnni, thanks for sharing this unique bird.
ReplyDeleteThey are really gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteLovely shots of thi8s little yellow bird.
ReplyDeleteThe kiskadee is such a neat bird. And I find myself just a TAD envious of your photos. :) Wish they'd come to Louisiana!!
ReplyDeleteAn interesting post with some great pictures.
ReplyDeleteThank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.
Beautiful bird!
ReplyDeleteReally pretty images of a lovely bird
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty bird!
ReplyDeleteThe Great Kiskadee is full of personality.....love the rufous coloring as it flies off its branch. Nice shots!
ReplyDeleteSo interesting that you were seeing so many at once. When I saw them in the Lower Rio Grande Valley they were not that numerous. Nice photos!
ReplyDeleteLovely!
ReplyDeleteI use a copyright too… very helpful when I come across one of my images on someone's site or Facebook page.