Birds of a Different Feather...


As it continues to be hot and sultry, I once again rely on photos from the past few months before the oven door opened and the heat blast hit the Coastal Bend!!! This week, another eclectic set of five different birds [six photos in all]. The first....
Black Bellied Whistling Duck

...one of my favorite ducks. I love their expression-filled faces. Their near silent presence even when protecting their young...the quietude of their character is all-so-charming in such a way I can't help but admire their presence.

Then, spotted at the seawall in our downtown area near the marina, an American Oystercatcher. I rarely see these so near civilization. Honestly. I was surprised to see this one in town. Usually, when I spot them, they are near the oyster beds on the beaches along the bay heading toward Portland, Texas...
American Oystercatcher
...I love their orange eye ring and stout orange/red beak. All the better to crack the oyster shells and dine on the prime dishes served at their table!!

Of course, just about anywhere we go to take photos of the birds we see for the day, there is bound to be a Great Blue Heron...
Great Blue Heron

...and when it comes to spotting them around and near the ship channel and jetties where the fishermen are trying to catch a fish...they watch every move; waiting for hand outs!! And they don't fear us humans at all in that area. Rarely do they fly away when approached. Unless of course you're within a foot of reaching out to them!

Along the fresh water tidal basin near the Causeway I found this rarity. It is a Pectoral Sandpiper...
Pectoral Sandpiper

...I can't say much about this bird as I have never seen one 'til this photo was taken. But, I can say that sandpipers are so similar with each species, it can be difficult to identify. It took me several attempts going through my newly acquired Crossley ID Guide to find it!!



The last two images I share are of the same bird. This was on one of the boardwalks around Indian Point and Sunset Lake Park that is shared by two communities; Corpus Christi and Portland Texas. It continued to scold us the closer we came upon it [which by the way was several yards away!!]. Finally it flew off into the wind and since the wind was quite strong that day ---
Willet
Willet in Flight

--- I was able to get its full wingspan and wing bars!!!



BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK

photo taken: Port Aransas Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas

AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER
photo taken: Downtown Corpus Christi, Texas

GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: Ship Channel - Port Aransas, Texas

PECTORAL SANDPIPER
photo taken: Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas

WILLET
photo[s] taken: Indian Point/Sunset Lakes - Corpus Christi - Portland, Texas

HABITAT RANGES: Black Bellied Whistling Ducks - American Oystercatcher - Great Blue Heron - Willet - Pectoral Sandpiper


TRIVIA: The breeding male Pectoral Sandpiper has an inflatable throat sac, which expands and contracts rhythmically during display flights. By the way, their breeding grounds are in the Arctic Tundra in the Summer months.



Now, share your birding experiences:





18 comments:

  1. I understand! Since back in Florida I had not gone walking for birds until this morning, I found it very hot and muggy and was attacked by mosquitoes! Nice assortment of shorebirds. At first glance I thought your Pectoral was a Least Sandpiper as both are quite similar in plumage pattern. The light bill and the evident larger size made me change my mind. They can be confusing to ID indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent selection Anni. Congrats on capturing the Pec Sandpiper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic series. Love the American Oystercatcher and the Pectoral Sandpiper. I've only ever seen one of them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The willet in flight is truly gorgeous! But my favorite has to be the Oyster Catcher. All dressed up with oysters to open!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! We're having pretty hot here too - compared to our normal temps. I bet you have it even hotter. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice variety! Great flight shot of the BBWD! Love the oystercatcher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice set of birds. It is good to be able now and then to post images from the files. We most of the time shoot more then we can post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous variety of birds, Anni ! The Whistling Duck is a favorite of mine. And I love the Oystercatchers.. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning, Anni; Oh My, Oystercatcher is really lovely duck. Yes, their orange eye ring and stout orange/red beak are SO beautiful♡♡♡ Thank you very much for hosting and showing varieties of sweet birdies.

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely to see these birds up close; enjoyed your photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice set Anni, and a couple of birds I would really like to see. A Willet is much predicted to turn up in the UK in autumn and I'm looking real hard after a westerly blow from Texas way.

    "Pecs" turn up here regular and with luck I'll see another one very soon. So thanks for highlighting these two.

    Thanks also for allowing me to join your birding party again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning and interesting photos. I enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice series! Would love to see that oystercatcher. He has such bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing shots of the birds near you. Pretty, pretty! Still waiting for the day I can see an oystercatcher in person. I'm also quite impressed with your knowledge of shorebirds. They are difficult to ID!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I will link up on Wednesday, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice variety of beautiful birds, great shots!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents