I Like Mine Rare....


For a couple of years now, we've been searching for the possibly becoming extinct [federally endangered] plover. The Piping Plover. This little tiny shore bird has been reported only spotted twice on Mustang Island's Mustang State Park along the Corpus Christi Pass [a hurricane flood basin]. Each time Bud and I have driven there, we've seen no Piping Plover. But, we'll keep watching for one to show itself for us. About a month ago, as we walked Indian Point Park's trail, I thought for sure I had seen the elusive shore bird. I was 99% sure of it all the while I was trying to focus for a photo, but, then, knew better because of the beak color.... Once I got home and took the photos off the camera's card, sure 'nough it was a plover. And sure 'nough it was a rare one. But the legs and beak were, as I noticed through the camera's viewfinder, were not of the Piping's yellow/orange coloring...they were black. Small in stature [I'm estimating about 5 to 5.5 inches -or 127mm- from beak to tip of tail], instead it was a SNOWY PLOVER. I was still thrilled to have spotted it tho difficult it was to get a decent photo with all its natural scurrying; typical of the plovers. My record charts show that in our area of Coastal Texas they are listed as "R" or "U" for each month of the year [rare or uncommon respectively]. In my way of thinking, I hit paydirt!!



SNOWY PLOVER
photo taken: Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas
habitat map: Snowy Plover

TRIVIA:
Young Snowy Plovers leave their nest within three hours of hatching. They flatten themselves on the ground when a parent signals the approach of people or potential predators.


---I knew this time of year, with temperatures soaring to very uncomfortable for birding excursions during the heat of the day[s] and, as y'all may know by visiting Hootin' Anni's this past week, I've been battling a bad case of Bronchitis and having to take antibiotics which makes me want to do nothing but sleep.  So, I'm having to rely on  photos of the past Spring months. I'll share another shorebird...this time it's a Stilt Sandpiper. It, too, on my charts, is listed as a rare sighting in my area except for the Fall Migration. I spotted it in May!!...



STILT SANDPIPER
photo taken: Port Aransas Birding Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Stilt Sandpiper

TRIVIA:
The main southward migration route of the Stilt Sandpiper passes through the middle of the continent, west of the Mississippi River.


---and one more "R" listed on my area's charts is the Willow Flycatcher. Now, there are two IDENTICAL in marking flycatchers...the Willow [seen here] and the Alder Flycatcher. The only way to tell them apart is their song. The Willow's song is 'accented' on the last 'note' while the Alder is just the opposite to me...the accent being at the beginning; the first 'note'. Other than this, they are the same in size, wing-bar markings, eye ring, lower flesh colored mandible and black feet.




WILLOW FLYCATCHER
photo taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Willow Flycatcher

TRIVIA:
Willow Flycatcher WAV SOUND
Alder Flycatcher MP3 SOUND


Now, share your birding experiences:






24 comments:

  1. Hello Anni, I am sorry you are still not feeling better. I love your birds and photos.. Thanks for hosting, take care..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always exciting to capture a rare or uncommon bird. Well done Annie!:) The Willow Flycatcher is adorable,... good info about it's song too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Anni I am sorry yor are battling with Bronchitis during this weather you are having. You find although not what you expected was indeed still wonderful. the second shot is brilliant. Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three really good birds, and ones that I have not seen, either. And really good pictures of them, too! I did not know the piping plover is getting rare! But the snowy one is very pretty. The closest I have come to seeing a Plover is the Killdeers around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I especially love that plover! Isn't he a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots. The Snowy Plover is a new one to me so I'm grateful you shared that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos and interesting birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin and I just came back from birding Aransas down to Brownsville. We saw every shorebird imaginable at Mustang Island - no piping plover :( I got 73 lifers in Southeast Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done for catching up with the Peep.

    Now I know why I had so much trouble telling the difference between those 2 Flycatchers when I was in Texas!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! I like the sandpiper! We don't see many shorebirds here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how sweet the flycatcher looks♡♡♡ Happy for your rare sighting! And Take Good Care of yourself, Anni. Thank you very much for hosting.

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the plover-- the Snowy is just fine. I too would love to see another Piping Plover. I once saw one in New Jersey in 1962 and it was a thrill. Great detail on the Stilt Sandpiper's plumage. Finally back in Florida on my desktop but just plan worn out after all the activity between the Alaska cruise and entertaining the Spanish exchange students! Was able to piece together a post before falling asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on seeing the rare Plover, even if it wasn't the SUPER-rare Plover! :)

    Those identical Flycatchers would give me a headache! Hopefully they sing loudly and often so that you can tell them apart.

    Get well soon, the birdies miss you I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one with the Snowy Plover Anni. And the Stilt Sand is just amazing with that summery plum - only ever seen a single juv here in the UK, so it's good to see a real one like that.

    Tell me about those Willow and Alders. I remember trying to split them in the hand - boy it's just as hard even using maths equations and measurements.

    Thanks for your kind comments, and keep up the good work with I'd Rather B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, trust you will up and around soon. The birds are waiting on you. Thanks for sharing the Stilt Sandpiper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, you are such a great birder .... Congrats on the lifers and the rare sightings. I think it is the snowy plover that is protected on the Oregon beaches.. But I have to check. Never have seen them but have seen nesting areas marked off.

    Feel better soon. Virtual hugs and thanks .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome catch on the Snowy Plover! I clicked the range map (thank you) and see that it's a non-breeding resident for us. Also love the Willow Flycatcher. Heck, I love them all! You have such great success with your birding adventures. Hope you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like teh image of the Stilt sandpiper.

    And I hope you get better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents