
Sometimes I feel privileged to meet a special bird. This past week it was Tupper!! If you didn't get a chance to get acquainted with Tupper here is the link.....
MEET TUPPER I got special permission to share this post here along with a photo of Tupper, the gull with an upright tail. Knock on Tupper's nest, and catch a glimpse of such a bird with a personality!!
It is now getting way too hot and humid to go out each day, birding. We here in Coastal Texas have been getting some good-for-the-scorched, drought-ridden-land; a bit of measurable rainfall. But, we still need more...without devastating floods and water damage. Just a couple of weeks ago, while on Mustang Island, a favorite stopping area near the ship channel, we stopped to see what birds we could find...the one and only pond that has had water year 'round was drying up...the numerous other flats that hold fresh water throughout the reserve have been dried up for a couple of years now. There was a vast amount of water birds congregating there for nutrition and water! We are in a sad state. Humid as all get out, but in need of MUCH more rain accumulation to replenish the ponds and lakes. Anyway, this will be an eclectic series of photos. All taken during this past month of June.
For all American birders posting here this weekend...please stay safe over the Holiday Weekend....
Now, share your birding experiences:
Your spoonbill in flight is magnificent! We have the killdeers here, and they are quite impressive. Ad these Frigate birds, I believe they are the bird pirates of the seas! Tupper is a really special bird!!!
ReplyDeletelovely set of birds! some i've seen and some i've not. i AM a long-time fan of tupper's, though. :)
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, what wonderful variety of birds! A couple of my favorites are the Night Heron and the Caracara..I hope you are staying cool, thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a stunning bird fauna and beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteWonderful birds to see..
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear of your drought conditions. I just love that spoonbill. Here in Illinois it has been more rainy than usual, so the corn and soybeans are doing very well. We are not getting out for another reason-- we have responsibilities for some exchange students from Spain who suddenly needed housing. Their chaperon is staying in our condo and our daughter's family is hosting two teen-aged girls for a month.We seem to be occupied every minute until late in the evening, hardly ever able to get to our computer and using iPhone for internet. We took our first walk in the woods this morning since getting back from two weeks in Canada and Alaska over a week ago! Hoping things will get back to normal when we return to Florida in a week. Thanks so much for visiting our blogs, even though we prepared three of them in advance of our travel.
ReplyDeleteGreat photo of the Killdeer! Love the Frigatebirds and Caracara!
ReplyDeleteWonderful birds. We've had more rain than usual. I wish I could send some your way.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, just stopping by to say thank you for linking up with my critter party.. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteGreat selection of birds but I love the Spoonbill and Woodpecker best.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning form Japan, Anni;
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of such varieties♡♡♡ Killdeer and woodpecker look lovely and cute, other birds are brave looking; they sure have wonderful characters♬♬♬
Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*
How sad the birds are fighting for their normal water spots. Glad you got so many wonderful photos. Glad there is at least one wet area left for them! Glad you liked the Dusky Seaside Sparrow post. S.L. Bales did his post on it on the actual anniversary, but I waited because I had so much else to post! :-) But, it really moved me to read his post and know that I had seen the bird myself, and here was his tribute. Sad what we people do sometimes!
ReplyDeleteThe monsoons have started! I had to unplug everything for a couple of hours tonight, and I have a lot to try to do both online and off before and upcoming "break." :-) If you don't see me much for a bit that's why.
Like you say Anni, a very eclectic mix of colours and species. You have some real belters there - the Magnificent Frigatebirds I'd love to see again (Cancun), but I never did see Caracara but would sure like to.
ReplyDeleteAmazing about your lack of rainfall. If I could swop some of our rain I certainly would.
Happy birding, and thanks for Rather B Birdin again.
Golden-fronted Woodpeckers are surely one of North America's most attractive picids. I remember them well from a stop over in Texas on the way back from Panama a few years ago.
ReplyDeleteAnni, enjoyed meeting Tupper. Splendid photos as always. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, you have superb eye for birdwatching, love your photos, cheers.
ReplyDeleteThese are splendid, Anni!
ReplyDeleteLovely shots.
ReplyDeleteSuper shots, and thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteThat frigatebird is awesome. As are the others.
ReplyDeletefine variety of birds. Seen the frigate but only high up in the sky.
ReplyDeleteI would love to be able to participate this week, but I have no bird photos! I think this will be a first to not have any bird photos for a whole week. :( I love your frigatebird shots, as well as the caracara and woodpecker. None of those I have seen in person and hope to some day.
ReplyDeleteOh Anni, I can only dream of seeing a Frigagebird. They're migratory over Southern Africa, on the coasts' edges, so I may never see one. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos here. Your Kildeer is very similar to our Double banded Plover. Very striking. Hope you're having a great day, Blessings Jo PS thanks for stopping off at my post today; yes, I have already found that my new hobby of water painting is most addictive !
ReplyDeleteA super selection Anni. I can recall seeing most of them some years ago during a visit to your coast but would love to return and get some decent images ... maybe one day.
ReplyDeleteWhat a bunch of great bunch of shots. :)
ReplyDeletewow the Roseate Spoonbill is lovely, what a beautiful pink colour. Great collection of photos in this post.
ReplyDeleteGreat series of shots Annie! The Caracara and Woodpeckers are fabulous.
ReplyDeleteI put my link there too. So I see other birds of the world :-)
ReplyDeleteGreetings, Helma
Just wanted to thank you, not only for these spectacular photos of birds, most that I would never otherwise have met (the killdeer and the night heron are the only two I had seen here) , but for this wonderful meme and for sharing Tupper's story. I've added a post today to share a story of the herons and bald eagle at Stanley Park. Until next time, Anni :)
ReplyDeleteThese birds in flight are fantastic! But all photos are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteGreat series hope you get some rain soon.
ReplyDeleteGreat birdshots of a lot of unknown birds to me. Very nice and thanks for showing.
ReplyDeletea lovely variety here and the frigate birds in flight would've been a real buzz to capture I'm sue. I like those roseat spoonbills and the kingfisher - (I really like all of them)
ReplyDeleteI'm so envious of your flight shots. You are so good! I saw a frigate bird in Florida, was in awe. No hope for a pic, from slow old me. Port A is the best birding in the world.
ReplyDelete