Y'all, I'm sure, know just what a snipe hunt is, right? More or less a practical joke played on some novice, taken into the woods with perhaps a flashlight and a gunny-sack? They're told to find snipes and catch them in a gunny sack. Yet, the others in the group run and leave the unsuspecting 'hunter' alone to find his/her way back. Well, it may be a practical joke played in our own society, but in all instances, the Snipe Hunt is a reality with bird hunters; naturalists. I found this interesting article about Snipe Hunting, here. Giving us a bit of origins of the real deal.
Now, according to National Geographic, the Wilson's Snipe [seen here today] is not nocturnal as its look-alike, the Woodcock. [tho, contrary to this, Cornell Ornithology Lab online tells us another story...the woodcock is active during the day; but in forest/wooded areas instead of shore habitat] Yet, with both, their well camouflaged markings, and the snipe's habit of foraging in dried reed and swampy areas, it's very difficult to see. One day, at Port Aransas Birding Center, Bud and I watched one that was real close to the boardwalk. It was feeding, then preening, eventually walking a short distance to lay in the sun for its midday siesta. I took way too many photos, so I made a couple of collages to shorten the loading time for the blog post. As you can see they are a challenge to spot in the wild with the blended colors and markings...
WILSON'S SNIPE
photos taken: Port Aransas Birding Center [aka Leonabelle Turnbull Nature Preserve]
habitat map: Snipe
PS...My sincere thanks to everyone who sent our family well wishes and kind thoughts since our loss of a great man, friend, and family member last week...my brother in law. His passing from an aortic aneurism was a shock, but now he rests in peace; pain free. Thanks again!!! You made my heart swell from your sympathies. Bud and I are trying to move on from this tragedy and sadness. Each day that goes by is another step to hold onto our memories and keep ourselves headed in the right direction without dwelling on our selfish thoughts of 'why us?' 'why our family?' 'why him?'....life goes on.
Now share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:




I'm so sorry about your brother-in-law! Hugs and prayers!
ReplyDeleteWell, I learned something here...snipe hunting! Great photos of that sweet long beaked bird, too!
snipe hunting....something you're bound to remember now. LOL
DeleteThanks Betsy.
they're very cool birds. always happy when i spot one here!
ReplyDeletethey are cool, I agree.
DeleteGorgeous birds. Very pretty feather patterns.
ReplyDeleteI think so too....the rusty colored tail feathers are mainly hidden.
DeleteIt took me forever to find a Snipe. They are cool birds. Great post and photos, Anni.. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDelete...thank you Eileen. Hope your weekend is going well too.
DeleteSorry for your loss. Lovely little bird.
ReplyDelete...thanks Betty
DeleteWell, I'll be! Snipe hunting is real!
ReplyDelete...yep!!!
DeleteThey really blend well to the surroundings. Nice shots. BTW, so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Shey. Nice to see you're back to blogging!
DeleteStill thinking of you all at this sad time Anni. Hugs and prayers also.
ReplyDeleteYour snipes are striking birds. I enjoyed learning about them and I have linked up.
Thanks for the sweet gesture today Denise. I appreciate your condolences and prayers.
DeleteThanks for educating me about snipe hunts. I've never heard the expression before.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos, as always. Fascinating post....as always too.
Thanks for this.
My thoughts are still very much with you.
Best wishes to you.
Thank you so much Derek, for such comforting words.
DeleteDon't you love it when the experts disagree?
ReplyDeleteLOL...it's a hoot. Especially when they're all so highly educated. It all boils down to one man's opinion.
DeleteIt really DOES look like a Woodcock! And does it have that same goofy walk? Perfectly camouflaged, and just LOOK at that beak!! A huge stalking success!!
ReplyDeleteI really can compare their gaits 'cause I've never seen a woodcock....yet!!! lol
DeleteGreat collection of photos !
ReplyDeleteHave a nice Sunday !
Thank you very much Ela.
DeleteI'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss.
ReplyDelete...thank you kindly Sharon.
DeleteWow - their feathers really hide them well in the grasses - I've seen some on the shore of a small pond - and once at the ocean.
ReplyDeleteOooooh, the ocean setting would be an excellent place to photograph them!!
DeleteThose snipe are so perfectly camouflaged. They are usually in our local patch at this time of year, but finding them is the problem. So sorry about the catastrophic condition that took your brother in law's life.
ReplyDelete...thank you Ken!! Your condolences are heart warming.
Deletethis is such a beautiful bird I love to see. I´m not sure this is the one I see sometimes. It looks more colorful.
ReplyDelete...perhaps it's getting close to breeding season?! Dunno, but it's a possibility. Thanks!!
DeleteFor the longest time, I never knew a snipe was a real bird. Great captures!
ReplyDeleteTeresa @ Eden Hills (can't post with my WordPress ID with these settings. Dang Blogger)
Hmmmm, sorry for what you go thru to leave a comment. I don't understand why since it's set to accept all comments, no matter which server/outlet you're using.
DeleteThanks Teresa.
Sorry I haven't visited you as often - I've tried to limit my blogging to one or two days a week. So, I hope you haven't give up on me or my blog! I just can't get anything done sitting for several hours at my computer everyday. Back to your post - I was a kid when my brother took me on my first Snipe hunt. Pretty funny. Beautiful photos you posted.
ReplyDeleteI understand wanting to slow down on blog posts...it takes a LOT of time from a day. Thanks Mona
DeleteYou are so fortunate to see these beauties. Your images are amazing!!
ReplyDelete...thanks Gail!!
Delete...thanks Nora
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of them preening.
ReplyDelete...thanks Valerie
DeleteThe beautiful feather patterns are perfect camouflage. Great captures.
ReplyDeleteI agree...they are perfectly camouflaged. My favorite of all their feathers are the smaller rusty tail feathers.
DeleteLovely photos. Here we have a different species of smipe but just as elusive and well camoflaged!
ReplyDelete...thanks!!!
DeleteSo sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. These things always take us by surprise. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteAs for the Wilson's Snipe! Nice up close and personal photos. Those are very tricky birds. Their camouflage is incredible!
...indeed they are very well camouflaged. Thanks Chris.
DeleteI was so surprised when I found out there really Was such a thing as a snipe. As I thought the whole thing ... Bird and hunt ... Was just something high school kids made up to torment freshmen back in my old home town of Podunk, Washington ))).
ReplyDeleteGood sighting. I probably first learned about this bird (the real one) when we stayed in your area.
Me either....it was new to me that there really was a snipe; until my birding hobby came along.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat terrible to lose a fine person. A man, a husband, a brother, a brother, a friend. I did not know before, and read it only now. I want you also wish a lot of strength with the loss and also whole lot of strength for the whole family.
ReplyDeleteDear greetings, Helma
Sad new for your family - but each day brings new things, some good, some bad, some terrible - but we keep moving.
ReplyDeleteSnipe are great - and form my point of view, hard to find!
Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Great pics,sorry for your persona loss. Now the link to my blog is working.Pl. have a look.
ReplyDeleteThank you Anni, How kind of you. I tried to add my link, but still couldn't.:(
ReplyDeleteHope you are OK.