Molting...Teenagers...and PINK


A few times out birding, I've been by myself. And with the heat index soaring to triple digits, I didn't stay in one area for very long. I got back in the car quickly to cool down while driving some other place in hopes of birds. I think the birds were hot also. So few in all the areas!! Different local areas, different birds...


cute COOT adolescent. The feet are so disproportionate with the body at this stage!!
photos taken:  Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  American Coot


CORMORANT & GREEN HERON
photos taken:  Port Aransas Texas [cormorant] Tule Lake [green heron]
habitat map:  Cormorant and Green Heron



Great morning light at Tule Lake!! But short of birds.
LEAST SANDPIPERS
photos taken:  Tule Lake - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Least Sandpiper



MOLTING GREAT TAILED GRACKLE
photos taken:  Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map:  Great Tailed Grackle




ROSEATE SPOONBILLS [American Coot - adult, White Ibis, Tri-color Heron, reddish egret & white faced Ibis]
photos taken:  Charlie's Pasture Cotillion and Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge


Now...share your birding experiences:







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:




or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

19 comments:

  1. is this what you call "few birds"? To me this is a lot :) Love the little ones with too large feet :) How on earth can they cope with them?

    Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I learned from your post that the coot youngster does not yet have lobed toes, and also did not realize that Great-tailed and Boat-tailed Grackles overlap in your area. I had assumed that you only had the latter, but when I saw those yellow eyes I knew they weren't Boat-tailed. Up the coast to the north the Boat-tails do show a light-colored iris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni, I love love the young coot and grackle images. But all the birds and photos are awesome. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos one and all. So much to learn.
    I've heard that the car makes an excellent blind. Blasted hot here too and only 2 digits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni !! I love these fantastic photos !!!
    Happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  6. the coot is cute and the cormorant is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All fantastic photos Anni. I saw a young coot chick in London, for the first time. They are adorable. The spoonbills are amazing as well as your other sightings. Thanks so much for sharing them with us and for this wonderful meme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos! I loved seeing them all from the juvenile on down to the pinky ones! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Anni you certainly saw a good view birds as you moved roundd.Love the Spoonbills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. `Hi Anni. I hope you are cooled off a little by now. It would be easy I guess to postpone the birding until cooler days but you're like me - no birding = withdrawal symptoms.

    The coots feet are amazing I agree and can you imagine if our own children had such disproportionate sized feet at that age? LOL

    Now Roseate Spoonbills are one species I would love to see in their full and fabulous pink colour.

    Thanks for the link-ups again today. Have fun in the sun and cool in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summer is definitely the quiet time for birding , esp where it is so hot... But you saw more there than I do here in Oregon where it is more temperate .... (So no complaining,LOL!!!).... I miss my spoonbills! And the teenager! Even the adults have big feet, but he reminds me of adolescent humans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it must be the age, always a little funk in there!!! fun images!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The molting youngsters are so cute. I don't think I've ever seen a juvenile Coot. Unbelievable the size of those feet! Nor have I seen the juvie Grackle. So darn cute. Thank you for hosting the meme!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful captures, Anni! I swear, you have the BEST birding blog ever! I always get to see something cool and new!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many great pictures. I've been to Port Aransas, and had a great time taking photos of birds there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although you had to keep moving to get cool, you got such great shots, Anni!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni, unas fotografías fantásticas, me han gustado mucho. Saludos cordiales desde España.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents