With this following species, it's the FEMALE that is the brighter colored. The male is the drab gray. They're very interesting to watch with their feeding habits...they swim rapidly in circles, stirring up the water to excite the fish/worms and peck away at their 'catch' swiftly, then move on and continue circling!! A 55 second video of them feeding can be viewed HERE.


WILSON'S PHALAROPE
photos taken: Port Arnasas Community Park - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Phalarope
...and this little birdie was trying to hide from me as I drove around the golf course...aha! Spied you my sweet booger!!



AMERICAN KESTREL
photos taken: Palmilla Beach Golf Course - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Kestrel

KILLDEER
photo taken: Indian Point Park - Portland/Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Killdeer
In search of a whole 'nother bird -which we didn't find- I spotted the orioles in the shrubbery...


ORCHARD ORIOLE
photos taken: Packery Channel Park - NORTH Padre Isand - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Oriole
I probably missed my chances of finding another rarity...the one who migrates through Texas ... the Hudsonian Godwit. But, while out looking for the Hudsonian for the day's quest, recently, I found the Marbled Godwit instead...


MARBLED GODWIT
photos taken: Sunset Lakes - Portalnd/Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Godwit
Next week, I will finally have readied my post on the bird search of 2 1/2 years....
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds, one and all. The Kestrel photos are really outstanding. Kestrels look so intelligent!
Have a wonderful week-end!
Lea
I really love to watch your gorgeous shots, Anni !!
ReplyDeleteThese birds are beautfiul !!
Happy weekend :)
Love that shy kestrel and the beautiful killdeer. Great post!
ReplyDeleteIt's been such a long time since I last saw a phalarope-- very nice shots. That kestrel is also very beautiful and his eyes really shine in one of the photos. Neat Killdeer and Orchard Oriole and I envy that image of the godwit. I just need to get back to the shores of SE Texas!
ReplyDeleteWonderful shots, Anni. I don't think I've ever gotten any of a kestrel or an oriole.
ReplyDelete~
Hello Anni, they are all beautiful birds. I especially love the kestrel and the godwit. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteGreat set of pictures.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful series! I'm always amazed at how many different birds you find. Love that kestrel.
ReplyDeleteThese are great Anni. It is hard for me to pick a favorite. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Anni. You have some brilliant pics today, especially the pretty little kestrel and the phalarope. It's many years since I saw a Wilson's Phalarope here in the UK.
ReplyDeleteThe last shot of the Martbled Godwit is really special and it is a species I would love to see for real.
I hope you have a great Sunday. We just had hail and ice last night and my car is frozen up solid.
That american kestrel sure is a beauty.
ReplyDeleteYou see such a nice variety of birds there. We see the Kestrel pretty often but it's very hard to get good photos of him...or it is for me! Enjoy your afternoon! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteSo many great birds today. I love the curious kestrel. They are such beauties.And the reflection of the water is so pretty behind the water birds. We were at a heron rookery today. We had fun too!
ReplyDeleteAnni, what a colorful collection of birds. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletejust beautiful, anni.
ReplyDeleteThey are all so beautiful Anni! Love those kestrel closeups.
ReplyDeleteThere has been a Phalarope near here recently - lots of excitement in the twitcher community!
ReplyDeleteNice pictures.
Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Another super variety of species.
ReplyDeleteI have seen other phalaropes but not this one. It´s is one of my favorites . It´s very interesting to watch :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting :)
I see really beautiful pictures of many different birds. The American kestrel is great but the other birds are beautiful to look at. I will drop this Saturday at you my contribution.
ReplyDelete