The other day, at noon, our atomic thermometer showed 100.0 degrees F [37.7778 Celsius]! And that was only midday, and the outdoor thermometer [which will show on our INDOOR thermometer as well] is in the SHADE! So, being that it's that hot without the humidity and heat index factored in, I'm staying indoors for the most part and not getting out birding.
Again, I'm sharing some photos from the past Springtime months.
These were taken at a small city park....at most times a gray and drizzly morning, so the photos show very little clarity. If you've ever heard the birdsong of the Great Kiskadee, you can then easily spot them. It was nesting time for this particular species, and with all the "Kiskadee calling" and loud ruckus they shout out, I quickly found who was chattering throughout the park and stood and watched. At first I thought they were BUILDING a nest. Au contraire...

They were either 'stealing' from someone else's nest or tearing one down that didn't meet their standards. Their nests are very large, more conical, and has a wide 'side opening'. Sometimes, the Kiskadees have two broods each year. Here is what I witnessed...











...about six weeks later I made a return trip to see if I could find any family around. Again, another dismal day. I spotted FOUR fledglings. Occassionally the parents would return with some delicious morsel, the quads kept ma and pa busy...




My photos of a kiskadee nest seen HERE and HERE [with chick]
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
We are also having oppressive heat and humidity here in south Florida. We try to get out well before sunrise, but since I tend to stay out for 1 1/2 to 2 hours I really feel it on the way home. Nice photos and much brighter conditions for the ones you took of the nest in 2014.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, The Kiskadee is a great bird. Awesome sighting of their nest. Thanks for hosting! Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteI heard them and saw them on my travels. But never like this :) Love your action shots :)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! This bird is so impressive and amazing!! And your pictures are so good! I have never ever seen a kiskadee. I am supposing there are none in Virginia. Texas is a birdwatchers paradise. Yes, we have the heatwave too. I think it will be over tomorrow. Maybe...
ReplyDeleteWow ! Beautiful birds !! Nice to see their yellow bellies !!
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos !!!!!
Happy weekend !
Kiskadees always remind me of our trips to Central America. They're everywhere!
ReplyDeleteI think I saw Kiskadees in Mexico one January? Smart birds.
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should do weather swop Anni? I'll have so my of your sun in exchange for a heavy shower or two?
I think I saw Kiskadees in Mexico one January? Smart birds.
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should do weather swop Anni? I'll have so my of your sun in exchange for a heavy shower or two?
I've never seen one of these. They remind me of a Kingfisher just a little. And how nice to be able to go back and see that they had babies! It's hot here but we haven't seen 100. The humidity is terrible though and we haven't gotten out as much. My walks in the evenings are getting shorter and shorter! Sweet hugs, Diane
ReplyDeletethey are very cool birds!
ReplyDeleteSplendid post! good for you staying out of our Texas heat. Have a great week.
ReplyDeleteFascinating!
ReplyDeleteI'm not seeing many birds these days at all, not only because it's hot (but not nearly as hot as it is at your house) but also because we moved into the City while we're here in Oregon. Someday soon I hope to get out to the country and do some bird walks. It takes us a good month to get organized every time we complete our cross-country trips and our month isn't quite over ....
ReplyDeleteIt's been hot here too.
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni; Wow, kiskadee is such a gorgeous and I wished to hear their "ruckus"; haha, first word for me♪
ReplyDeleteAfter coming home, summer weather is wearing me(^^;)
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
What a wonderful looking bird Anni. One that I've not heard of before, so thank you for sharing. I hope the temperature drops for you soon. That sounds far too hot.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen a Kiskadee, either.
ReplyDeleteCute name, pretty bird!
~
How wonderful, Anni and what a neat bird! I noticed my mockingbird pair dismantled last years nest while they were building this years, so perhaps you were witnessing similar behavior. You're wise to stay indoors in this heat! I'm blessed to be able to go birding from my front porch, lol! Stay cool!
ReplyDeleteAnni, marvelous birds. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThe heat is just awful here, too, Anni. I'm not really that far from you, but at least you have an ocean breeze to help...it's stifling here. UGH.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) What a great looking bird. Love the yellow plumage of the KisKadees, and the black and white head feathers are very attractive. I know how you are feeling in the heat Anni,... in the Algarve it was 38degrees most days, except when it rose to 40!! Americo and I had siestas every afternoon.
ReplyDelete