For obvious reasons, I haven't been birding in two weeks or more!! But...








MISSISSIPPI KITE
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds
habitat map: Kite
* * * - - - * * *
Before you go, I want to convey my thanks to all of you for your prayers and positive thoughts for Bud and me during the hurricane. Your kindness and good wishes meant a lot to both of us!!
* * * - - - * * *
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

A little over a week prior to Hurricane Harvey, I walked the trail along Pollywog Ponds in the silent early morning hour. It was a beautiful, still morning with just me and a few bird calls. As I mentioned on my personal blog, I oftentimes spot, from a long distance away, a tree-top with a cluster of leaves at the very top, in silhouette, that resembles the shape of a bird...and they're not! On this particular day I looked upward along the tree top lines and spotted what I thought was perhaps a bird but, still walking, I convinced myself it was once again just a leaf cluster. After a few more steps I told myself, "It won't hurt to make sure". So I stopped, turned around, and looked again. I lifted my binoculars and glanced in the direction of the 'cluster'. Lo and behold.......it was three birds. I used just a partial automatic zoom so I could get all three in the photo! They were VERY FAR away. I believe that to the right in the two photos above, it shows that there are two adults, and the one on the left is a 1st year juvenile, perhaps, as you'll notice the speckled back in larger photos below. A species I've been searching for to photograph for nearly a decade!!







MISSISSIPPI KITE
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds
habitat map: Kite
That morning, I was thrilled! After realizing they were kites, I began shaking and trying to hold the camera steady with all my excitement while making use of the full zoom lens now, to get even closer and still have at least ONE good picture that was clear and identifiable. Finally! The Mississippi Kite. They're rare in South Texas [but breed in North Texas], only migrating through our area, and they're named Kites for the way they soar like a kite, gliding silently through the air, and catching insects in mid-flight.
* * * - - - * * *
Before you go, I want to convey my thanks to all of you for your prayers and positive thoughts for Bud and me during the hurricane. Your kindness and good wishes meant a lot to both of us!!
* * * - - - * * *
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now, share your birding experiences:
Wonderful photos!
ReplyDeleteThe only time I have seen a Mississippi Kite was at a bird rehab center.
Of course, I might have seen them in the wild, but not close enough to identify.
I am so glad to see your blog active again
Have a beautiful week-end!
Awesome photos of this beautiful bird! I know you will be glad to get back out there!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) It's so good you see you posting again and to know you are both OK. The Mississippi Kite was a fantastic sighting, and it is a beautiful bird.
ReplyDeleteWe are going on holiday tomorrow, so I'll see you in a couple of months.
Really great to know you are safe Anni.:)
Hello Anni, I have never seen this Mississippi Kite. It is one my wish list. Your photos are awesome, great sighting. Thanks both for hosting and for linking up your post to my party. Happy weekend to you!
ReplyDeleteIt's so exciting to finally see a bird you have been waiting to see!
ReplyDeleteMississippi Kite, a beautiful bird indeed. Glad you finally got it :) I saw a relative to this one in Queensland. The Australain Kite. It´s on the header in my Au bird blog.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you back to whatever is "normal"
Great Mississippi Kite, I love it too.
ReplyDeleteI got so excited looking at and reading about your rare find! They are large and impressive!! And rather spooky looking, I must say. Needless to sat, I have never seen one.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back. What a neat discovery!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great pictures of this Mississippi Kite.
I have never seen this species, and he does not appear in the Netherlands.
Best regards, Irma
Good to know you are safe and sound, and what a find you had, I've seen the Swallow tailed kite, and that was an awsome site, so I can imagin how you felt.
ReplyDeleteTake care and all the best, Gordon.
Anni, great captures of Mississippi Kite. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on capturing the Kite and so happy you made it through Harvey.
ReplyDeleteGreat find and wonderful photos of the kites. This week it was my turn to be so occupied by the weather that I did not think of anything else! Evacuated to New Mexico, making this a kind of unexpected vacation despite all the anxiety about the condition of our home and neighborhood. The power went out this morning at 10 (when my Nest thermostat and Ring doorbell went off-line) but at least the eye is passing to the west.
ReplyDeleteI am glad I am not the only one that gets so excited I can't hold steady! I would have been just like you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great find! I had an entirely different picture of them in my head... obviously mixing them up with a different species! They have been spotted here and there in Virginia. Congrats on such a special find of this trio! And I am glad you are doing ok after the hurricane. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteAnni, I have lived in your shoes, experiencing that exhilaration, shaking and hoping to get a few good shots!!! These are great photos of the Kite and now, when they once again return, you'll be there...:)JP
ReplyDelete