Coastal Birds...


As I frequently do, I check the hot spots of birding within a 50 mile radius to read what birds have been seen in a 5 day time frame. Recently, a couple of popular birding areas at Port Aransas have been listed. They're open? Well, kinda sorta!! The two in this area are getting cleaned up, but so much damage from the August, summer's hurricane! I drove there last Sunday morning, early. Yes, they are accessible for the first time in three months....but, PARTIALLY. At Leonabelle Birding Center, the boardwalk goes only a few feet into the pond area....the observation tower is in disrepair, hundreds of feet of the boardwalk no longer exist. Several trees that was a popular place for the migrant birds in the Spring and Autumn are gone....In fact, see for yourself; the damage, by clicking HERE [before Hurricane Harvey & after]. Paradise Pond, further down the road from Leonabelle's is slowly being cleared out of the debris, but oh....the downed trees!!

Anyway, I thought I'd just post an eclectic page from my photo album folder, some of the birds I've seen in the last week:



LAUGHING GULL
photo taken:  Ocean Drive, Corpus Christi
habitat:  Gull


WHITE PELICAN
photo taken:  NAS, Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Pelican




INCA DOVE
photo taken:  Hans Suter Refuge, Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Dove



BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photo taken:  Paradise Pond, Port A, Texas
habitat map:  Heron


TRI-COLORED HERON
photo taken:  Leonabelle Birding Center, Port A, Texas
habitat map:  Heron


WHITE IBIS
photo taken:  Lakeview Park, Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Ibis


AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS
photo taken:  Ocean Drive, Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map:  Oystercatcher


FORSTER'S TERN
photo taken:  Port A, Texas
habitat map:  Tern


LITTLE BLUE HERON
photo taken:  Hans Suter Refuge
habitat map:  Heron


RING BILLED GULL
photo taken:  Port A, Texas
habitat map:  Gull



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



Now, share your birding experiences:




12 comments:

  1. Hello, Anni! It is awesome that you live so close to the coast and are able to see all these great birds. I love all the herons and the pelicans. The Oystercatchers are a favorite too. Wonderful photos, thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful birds!
    My favorite of the bunch - The Little Blue Heron
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Little Blue Heron too...and he's so BLUE! We hiked today and saw more trees down but not bad. I hate to see the damage and I know it's much worse where you live. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. many gorgeous species and photos as usual. My favorite today is the Inca dove, I rarely see images of that dove, and the little blue heron. Such a beautiful shot of the bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful!! We have lots of Great Blue Herons, but I have never seen a little blue. I have never heard of a Laughing Gull. I always love seeing the black crowned night herons! I have only caught glimpses of them a couple times. They are large birds! Beautiful ibis and tri-color. And of course the oyster catchers are so spectacular looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots, Anni, but I especially like the blue heron!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful sightings...and really nice shots1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't imagine how hard it is to see all that destruction, hopefully, the birds adapt and stay put. Love all the shots from your folder. Really enjoyed the image of the Inca dove.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni, great finds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni. I clicked the link and my goodness whaat a terribel mess Harvey made.I can see how it's a long job to get back to normal.

    You seem to be coping as best as you can in the circumstances and treated us to some great photos. I do like them all but am rather taken by the Inca Dove and the Laughing Gull. Saw lots of the gulls in Mexico but I didn't catch up with Inca Doves, just Chichen Itsa. Have a great week now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Inca Dove is absolutely MAGNIFICENT, Anni!!! This year, there has been so much devastation. I often wonder if it's Nature's way of "cleaning house."...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents