Two photos each...


SNOWY PLOVER
photos taken: Padre Island National Seashore [Federal Park]
habitat map: Plover


LONG BILLED CURLEW
photos taken: PINS beach [it was chasing sand crabs!]
habitat map: Curlew


COOPER'S HAWK [juvenile]
photos taken: Rose Hill Cemetery
habitat map: Hawk


LARK SPARROW
[note: The only sparrow that WALKS instead of hops]
photos taken: Bishop Texas Park
habitat map: Sparrow


INDIGO BUNTING [female]
photos taken: Blucher Park
habitat map: Bunting


BELTED KINGFISHER
photos taken: Bishop Texas Park
habitat map: Kingfisher


SUNBITTERN
photos taken: Texas State Aquarium -Caribbean Journey
habitat map: Sunbittern
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now, share your birding experiences:


SNOWY PLOVER
photos taken: Padre Island National Seashore [Federal Park]
habitat map: Plover


LONG BILLED CURLEW
photos taken: PINS beach [it was chasing sand crabs!]
habitat map: Curlew


COOPER'S HAWK [juvenile]
photos taken: Rose Hill Cemetery
habitat map: Hawk


LARK SPARROW
[note: The only sparrow that WALKS instead of hops]
photos taken: Bishop Texas Park
habitat map: Sparrow


INDIGO BUNTING [female]
photos taken: Blucher Park
habitat map: Bunting


BELTED KINGFISHER
photos taken: Bishop Texas Park
habitat map: Kingfisher
One that is 'captive' was found in the Texas State Aquarium's Caribbean Journey Exhibit. Here, most of the feathered animals are free-flying. A very unusual one piqued my interest. And when I got home from the visit, I did some online researching for Caribbean birds and found it was an exceptionally beautiful bird!! Especially when it opens its wings fully....the colors are extraordinary!!! See this bird with open wings, HERE
- FROM WIKIPEDIA: The Sunbittern (Eurypyga helias) is a bittern-like bird of tropical regions of the Americas, and the sole member of the family Eurypygidae (sometimes spelled Eurypigidae) and genus Eurypyga. It is found in Central and South America


SUNBITTERN
photos taken: Texas State Aquarium -Caribbean Journey
habitat map: Sunbittern

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now, share your birding experiences:
Such great birds this week! Wow, the Sunbittern with his wings spread is spectacular. However, I really love the photo of the female Indigo Bunting.
ReplyDeletehow wonderful. The SNOWY PLOVER is one I have never seen but sooooo sweet. Remidnen me of another plowver but don´t remember the name. The sanderling, I think :)
ReplyDeleteAnother new species for me is the sunbittern. Don´t think I have ever seen even an image of it. Thanks for sharing.
Wow, that Curlew has quite a bit of bill under the sand! Love the little plover and the nice close-up of the Indigo Bunting.
ReplyDeleteWOW!! I have never heard of this opened wing bird! He has the most gorgeous fall wing colors! Of all your birds posted today, the only one I have actually seen is the Belted Kingfisher. He fishes so fast that I have not been able to get a shot of it. But I do have some shots of him trying to swallow a huge fish. The little Plover is adorable! Wish I could see a Curlew! A new one for me was this week: a Bonaparte's Gull.
ReplyDeleteI love the Belted Kingfisher. We heard what we thought was a Kingfisher on our last hike but never saw it. Of course we heard owls too.....and I have yet to see one of those! You have the best eye for spotting birds my friend! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteThe Two -by -twos are wonderful...I’m almost too embarrassed to link my poor lonesome wild turkeys. But we will be traveling starting in a week and probably off-line for awhile and I didn’t want you to forget me ;>)). Hope I have some good birds soon ..for various reasons this hasn’t been a great summer for birding (good in lots of other ways tho...I am not complaining...too much ). Thanks for hosting and sharing yr knowledge!
ReplyDeleteLove all your birds!
ReplyDeleteI think I have photos of a Lark Sparrow, but I have a hard time distinguishing one sparrow from another. Maybe your photos will help me be sure
Thanks!
Wow, that is a stunning bird. And quirky and interesting, my kind of bird. Thanks so much for sharing :D
ReplyDeleteBest wishes,
Liz
Excellent photos. The kingfisher appears to be using the tripod.
ReplyDeleteGood morning Anni. I've only ever seen Sun Bittern on TV wildlife films etc and like you, I agree it is a superb bird. Meanwhile your little Snowy Plover is in its own way, just as magical. Was the bird on a nest in your photo?
ReplyDeleteI like the way you captured that Belted Kingfisher perched on the tripod!
Thanks for the link-up today. Have a great week ahead where i hope you're getting back to something like normal in Texas.
Lovely photos all of them, Anni, but my faves are those of the kingfisher!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting, have a great week.
Anni, Sunbittern is a new bird for us. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful series of pictures of the different species of bird.
Perfectly photographed.
Best regards, Irma
Absolutely wonderful shots!!!
ReplyDeleteWhile the Plovers always grab my heart, I thank you for the female Indigo. I have only seen (noticed, more likely) the males!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteI really want to see a Snowy Plover (and a Snowy Owl)! Sigh! Great pictures. I was stumped by the female Indigo Bunting too! The captive SunBittern is so very different than any I have seen! I recently saw a captive Leucistic (all white) Blue Jay! It was at the local Aquarium... When my daughter saw it and asked the Curator what it was I told them, and the woman was in awe! Ha! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete