I drove to a small farming community along interstate 69/state highway 77 from Corpus Christi to Refugio [pronounced rah FEAR ee oh] Texas several days ago after I've heard so much about the hurricane damage to the little town. The website I frequent that lists recent birds seen in my area, the park in this town hasn't been mentioned in a couple of months, so I had to see for myself what damage was done...the park was closed!! I ventured inside the grounds to get a first hand look. I shared several photos of the before and after the storm HERE. Anyway, I walked for about an hour [climbed over fallen trees and debris I should say; to be more accurate]. The whole time I was there, only THREE birds were seen. I took photos of TWO. The third was, not surprisingly, a VULTURE perched on a cellphone tower at a distance...

EASTERN PHOEBE
photo taken: Lions Shelly Park
habitat map: Phoebe


AMERICAN KESTREL
photos taken: Lions Shelly Park
habitat map: Kestrel
No bird activity; not a good place to walk. Without putting myself in more danger than I had already, I boarded my vehicle and left to drive the 50 miles back home. When I reached the junction to interstate highway 37 that takes me south to Corpus Christi, I pulled off at a riverside park to check and see if there was any wildlife in that area. Along the Nueces [pronounced new ACES] river banks I spotted several brown pelicans at the spillway dam. This is where the fresh water from the river meets the salt water of the Gulf of Mexico's back wash. An ideal place to find salt water fish on one side and fresh water fish on the other side of the spillway....an ideal place for the fishermen of the feathered kind. While photographing the pelicans along the dam, I spied an osprey flying overhead....

,,,it eventually perched on a tree branch.


OSPREY
photos taken: Labonte Park
habitat map: Osprey



BROWN PELICAN
photos taken: Labonte Park
habitat map: Pelican

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Now, share your birding experiences:
Wonderful Osprey shots! He looks strong and powerful. But my favorites are the pelicans. We have none around here, and I have never seen a real one. What a wingspan!!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos of the Kestrel and the Osprey is such a regal bird. I'm sorry about that park...we still have some closed here too. And we didn't see any birds to speak of for the longest time. We are just now seeing a few more and having more come to our feeders but nothing like before the Hurricane. Isn't that odd! Enjoy your weekend...be careful! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteLove your sidebar drawing! The before and after photos of the park are disheartening. Irma did much of the same to our local woods and wetlands, and the birds are much harder to find when they are present, among the twisted mass of felled trees.
ReplyDeleteLove the sweet phoebe, the lovely kestrel and of course that gorgeous osprey! The pelican shots were fun as well!
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos Anni, the Pelicans and the Raptors are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the damage to one of your birding area. Loved seeing the pelican shots.
ReplyDeleteSo sad about the park! I always enjoy your photography.
ReplyDeleteHello Annie, It is sad about the park. I hope the trees and debris are cleaned up soon. Sweet shots of the Phoebe and I love the Osprey. The Pelicans are my favorite,I always love seeing the Pelicans. They look almost comical in a way. Thanks for hosting. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Yes it is very sad to hear that much of your area has yet to recover from the terrible storms and floods. It'd good thought that you are so positive in your outlook and determination to go birding as much as you can. Lovely to see that Kestrel, Osprey and the pelicans. Have a good week. We are having our own storms here. Nothing like your but still very disconcerting.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of the Osprey!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week!
Anni, amazing how a poor day for birding can evolve into a great day for birding. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHow disheartening... I sure hope the birds made it out before the storm hit! I often wonder if they are given that innate sense to know when a storm is coming. Especially a BIG one like that! It will take a lot of humans to get that place cleaned up and back to where it was. But Texas is a BIG state... :) Hugs!
ReplyDeleteWow!
ReplyDelete