The Star of this week's series is the lone Burrowing Owl!!! While driving a graveled country road, along the culverts, I searched in the warm sunlight for owls that are known to frequent this section of Chapman's Ranch. I found one, and only one. I again had to take photos of it from the car. You see, just across from the culvert where I found the owl, is a farmhouse, and a couple of PIT BULL dogs. One was insisting to do battle with my car. I wasn't about to get out of the vehicle!! I love owls...this species is so cute. Maybe that's why I use the nickname, Hootin' Anni?





BURROWING OWL
photos taken: Chapman Ranch
habitat map: Owl

TURKEY VULTURE
photos taken: Lions-Shelly Park
habitat map: Vulture


CRESTED CARACARA
photos taken: Labonte Park
habitat map: Caracara

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Love seeing the Owl photos - wonderful!
ReplyDeleteAs for the Turkey Vultures, I think what you have there are Black Vultures
Thanks for hosting this fun meme!
Their heads are red...turkey I'm sure
DeleteYes, of course, seeing them in person makes ID easier. Must be my computer making them look darker than they are.
DeleteWe always called them Buzzards when I was growing up. Imagine my surprise when I looked for 'buzzard' in my bird book - it is not there! I am still trying to remember to call them Vultures instead of Buzzards.
Hello Anni,:) Wonderful captures, and I especially love the ones of the Burrowing Owls. They are so very cute, and also unique in the way they live in burrows underground. The Vultures, and Crested Caracaras look huge,..such clear shots of them too. I don't expect I will ever get the chance of seeing any of these birds in real life, but it's great to see them here. Thank you for hosting,... I have learnt so much about your birds from visiting you.:)
ReplyDeleteOh ANNIE!!! Maybe my favorite post EVER!! I have seen T.V. shows about these cute owls. I cannot believe how good your photos are, I am enjoying them so much! How on earth did you manage this, while being unnerved by the pit bulls!? Flying across the street, you even captured his shadow! And Caracaras too! I always think of them as being so exotic, and living in maybe Africa or Argentina. And here they are in Texas. Wonderful, wonderful pictures today!!
ReplyDeleteGreat captures of the owl, Anni! They are such neat birds! I love the caracara, too! We see them here occasionally and it's always a challenge to capture them. All your shots are great! Have a wonder-filled week!
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! I just love the cute Burrowing Owls. They are adorable. The Crested Caracara is a favorite too. Great collection of photos. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteThese are some gorgeous photos! I have to say this with some envy because although we have several owls in the area, I have only seen them in the depth of night flying across my car's headlights. It would be wonderful to see them :D
ReplyDeleteThank you for continuing to share your wonderful work.
Best wishes,
Liz
Oh my! That is the CUTEST little owl! We heard one on our hike today. At first we thought it had one call but then it ended with who cooks for you! heehee! 2 hawks were flying in the area and disturbing it! I would LOVE to see one...you know I would! Great photos as always! I don't take many vultures...we have SO many here! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteYour owl has a cute face!
ReplyDeleteYou are so amazing! Your love of birds blesses us all! Great photos - as usual!
ReplyDeleteI love your photos of these beautiful birds !!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend !!
Anni, great capture of the Burrowing Owl. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGreat owl photos and wise choice to stay in the car and not battle the dogs. I think the book Hoot (kids book? and then, movie by the same name is about kids trying to save a burrowing owl isn't it? You always come across such amazing birds!
ReplyDeleteLove your beautiful burrowing owl! Great to get these shots from the car!
ReplyDeleteLove the owl. Vultures sure are creepy and especially when they are resting with their wings spread. The Crested Caracara is a new bird for me.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. And well done for staring out those pit bulls. Why people need such horrible dogs I do not know. I'm struggling to see our Little Owls at the moment as they are becoming scarce, as usual something to do withn changes to the environment, less earthworms, large insects etc that they eat. I hope your Burrowing Owls as a whole are faring better.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link-up today.
I think those Burrowers are one of Mother's comedians.
ReplyDeleteThey are so cute! I've never seen them in person though, so I'm very jealous, even though you had to stay in the car. Great photos Anni!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWonderful series of photos of the owls, the vulture and the caracara.
I really like them all, my compliments.
Best regards, Irma
I love owls too, especially the baby owls. They are so stinkin' cute!
ReplyDelete