This week, I am showing just one species. A certain species I have searched for for over 12 years!! I saw one just this year at a birding lecture at Botanical Gardens here in town, but NEVER in the wild...until this month. In vain, when someone would let me know they saw one in my area of Texas along the coast, I would take a day trip to scout the area. Always coming home with no sighting!! But, I prevailed, kept scanning the horizon and checking the power lines along the highways in hopes of seeing just one!! Oftentimes I would drive along the sandy shores of the beaches between here and Port Aransas, or walked the dunes around North Padre Island. Bud and I estimated I put about 8,000 miles on my vehicle just looking for the one bird!!!
On July 12th, I noticed a photographer on the shoulder of the island highway. I couldn't see what he was focusing on tho. A couple hours later, I pulled off where he had been, opening the car door and inspecting the gravel underneath the car and where I would put my foot....making sure there were no rattlesnakes first before I got out. With binoculars on my shoulder and camera in the ready, I spotted a falcon [thinking it was a Peregrine] on the power line. There were initially three falcons...but as I walked around the back of the car to focus, two flew off in the wild blue yonder... The bird? It wasn't a Peregrine...it was my highly sought-after bird!!! I got photos!!!
Then, the next morning, I was off once again before sunrise, Padre Island National Seashore and the biologists there were going to release some Kemp Ridley sea turtle hatchlings; I wanted to witness this. I must admit, I haven't been to these scheduled releases in years! After the baby turtles made it to the gulf waters I left and drove back to the falcon sighting site. I took a photo of what I thought may have been the nest box. Yep, there was a juvenile falcon lazing on the banister!!
On Saturday morning, again early, just after sunrise, I once again drove back. And once again, a falcon was perched on the power line! But this time, it was a full adult!!!
So, I show you the juvenile AND the adult...
THE APLOMADO FALCON.
Endangered in South Texas...population is being re-established!
Hopefully with some success.
I WAS ELATED!! An aplomado falcon in the wild.
JULY 12TH [juvenile]
JULY 13TH [juvenile]
JULY 14TH [adult]
APLOMADO FALCON
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat map: Falcon
...as you can see if you click on the habitat map, these falcons are mainly in Old Mexico and along the Rio Grande River of West Texas...rare in my part of the coastal bend.
Read more about the falcon's population drop in the early 1900's HERE
I made a video of the turtle release - one making it to the gulf shore plus photos of the hatchlings....Here

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:










What a great payoff for your persistence! I'd love to see one. We stayed at Gulfstream condo on North Padre Island just a year ago before the hurricane. Wonder if we might have been able to see it. Looks like a leg band on one adult in the first shot. Wonder if it is a reintroduction to the area.
ReplyDeleteHello, awesome bird and congrats on your sighting and photos. I would like to see one too, some day! Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteWow! I have never heard of these falcons! They do look a bit like Peregrines. I cannot imagine how excited you must have been! You must have given up hope!
ReplyDeleteHow AMAZING that you were able to get these beautiful captures out in the wild of this GORGEOUS Falcon. Congratulations, very stunning bird and images~
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you! It's wonderful to live in an area like yours (and mine), where we have a chance to see something from places far off. It's beautiful and reminds me of the Kestrel that we see here. Love those markings around the eyes! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteWow! That is fantastic!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting your bird!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful series of this falcon, I am so happy for you that you could photograph it, you have waited a long time.
The photos are really beautiful.
Best regards, Irma
Nice work Anni. I think that is known as using your observational powers. For the bird and the other birders. I do realise how rare the falcon is and how much you must have enjoyed your time with those lovely wild specimens. Enjoy your week and thanks for the link-up today.
ReplyDeleteAnni, terrific series on the Aplomado Falcon. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful surprise. After 12 years! I'm thrilled for you. Loved seeing your photos of both the adult and juvenile. I'm getting used to watching for rattlesnakes when I get out of the truck. I didn't think about snakes much when I lived in Dallas, but out here in ranch country, they are real. Scary creatures.
ReplyDeleteWow - what a fabulous sighting! And after so long.
ReplyDeletevery very special
ReplyDeleteand cool
:)
How exciting, Anni to see the falcon in the wild especially with dwindling numbers and location. Comebacks matter to so many species...:)JP
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! To have waited that long, and then gotten sightings on multiple days. Very cool! :-)
ReplyDeleteHaving not yet seen a Peregrine Falcon, I have to go with what I've seen... and my first thought was that it resembled a Kestrel. They are small, but their facial markings are similar. I got great shots of one in coastal NC this spring. Can't get there now... roads are flooded from all this rain we've been having. It's been a tough birding year. Thanks for sharing, as always... Something to look forward to! Hugs!
ReplyDelete