One morning, bright and early I drove to Padre Island National Seashore. The 30 mile drive from home, as I entered the grasslands of the Federal Park, I saw several hawks [white tailed], but they were perched on the power lines with the sun behind them, giving me no photo ops. I was able to get a decent photo of the Caracara and the singing Eastern Meadowlark along the road a few miles from the park's entrance gate...

CRESTED CARACARA
habitat map: Caracara


EASTERN MEADOWLARK
habitat map: Meadowlark
....once I parked at the end of the road on the beach [at the end, there is no place to go with a 2 wheeled vehicle...you're ON THE BEACH], I didn't see many birds other than the usual, seagulls, willets, and sandpipers. On the dunes, an egret posed for me. The closer I got to it, the more threatened it was, as you can tell by its stance. But, it didn't fly off; it remained on the dune...



REDDISH EGRET [white morph}
habitat map: Egret
After a couple hours, walking, I returned to my car and left for home....stopping at the duck pond and the new bird blind. I saw only grebes and a couple of ducks on the pond. But as I watched for more birds, I was soon distracted by a couple of Harriers! They'd fly overhead, dive down behind the dunes and reappear farther away.


NORTHERN HARRIER
habitat map: Harrier
...getting back in the car, I drove out of the park land and saw nothing along the highway at the time...Except for when I reached the residential area, just before a horse ranch, I saw this hawk at a far distance and I pulled off onto the shoulder of the road, rolled down the passenger window and aimed my camera just as it decided to fly off...

WHITE TAILED HAWK
habitat map: Hawk

Some great shots here,well done. Happy New Year Diane
ReplyDeleteYou really got a great view of the meadowlark! I'm envious as I still have not seen a white Reddish Egret. It was nice of that White-tailed Hawk to wait for you and then show off its tail! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteLook at the eyes on that egret! I think my very favorite is the Meadowlark singing with his beak wide open. To me, it represents hope and joy.
ReplyDeleteHello, wonderful sightings of Caracara and the hawks. One of my favorites is the Meadowlark, they are beautiful. Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend. Happy New Year to you and your family!
ReplyDeleteyou had a wonderful day with great sightings :)
ReplyDeleteWish you a Happy New Year with great birding experiences. :)
Awesome! I love the meadowlark singing! Happy new year!
ReplyDeleteLovely images and I especially love the third one. hanks for all the comments you have left on my posts over the past year and may I wish you and your family a happy and healthy 2019 Anni.
ReplyDeleteYou had some great views there Anni. The Meadowlark is amazing as too is the egret taking a good look at you. I'm impressed you have your own trademark sign on the local roadside!
ReplyDeleteHave a good day and a Happy New Year.
Hello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWonderful series of photos of these different birds.
Photo 4 is my favorite.
I wish you a happy 2019.
Best regards, Irma
The Caracara is an impressive fella. I need to find some different places to look for birds. Not many around here right now. Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!
ReplyDeleteawwww, nice shots
ReplyDelete♥
the first photo of the egret appeals to me because I love the color scheme of black and white, he sure is a beauty and I love the dunes he is wandering n
ReplyDeleteWow !! Fantastic photos !!
ReplyDeleteAnni, I wish you a Happy New Year !!
Greetings