It's that time of year again!! For us living on the Gulf Coast, it's time to stay away from the beach. It's Spring Break, and the shores are bumper to bumper bikinis and speedos and traffic jams!! I will be birding elsewhere, until the islands return to 'normal' traffic flow and staying clear of the drunken revelers [they have a bad reputation here]. Recently, tho, with the two falcon platforms just off the island highway, I have seen some activity of the rare falcon, the Aplomado. There are two of them; male and female. Since I won't be there for a couple of weeks, I will return and see if they are nesting soon! In the last three times I've been there, before the college kids arrived in full swing, I've witnessed this:
On the last week of February, the pair was quite active when I was there:







...the the week prior to Spring Break [after a week of stormy, cold, and rain], I noticed that the two had moved on to the 2nd platform about a mile from where I first sighted them. The smaller of the two, the male, was hunting and feeding while the female kept watch on her surroundings.




APLOMADO FALCON
photos taken: Padre Island-Mustang Island highway
habitat map: Falcon
Note: The female is ringed
I hope there will be some baby falcons this season. That would be promising to have some offspring of this rare bird!!! Before I even think of a return trip, I will find other hotspots to visit. I traversed the botanical gardens grounds and noticed the Purple Martins have arrived for breeding in their 'home' Martin Condos. Photos of them coming soon to a blog near you.
Now, share your birding experiences:
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
and paste into your blog post:

How exciting!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful weekend!
Hello, what an awesome series on the falcons. Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteThat is so exciting to see. We need to plan another North Padre Island vacation!
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of this Falcon, it is new to me! They are beautiful! And you got very good photos!! Seeing their babies would be fantastic.
ReplyDeleteIt's such an exciting time of year to bird watch! And just think, you may have babies to watch soon too! How wonderful! We saw our 'baby' hawks today at Blue Run. We watched them in the nest a couple of years ago and 2 of them have stayed in the area. Hope you can get out again soon! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteAhh, spring break and the boys and girls go wild!
ReplyDeleteyes spring is in the air for all the birds and these bird images are a great series.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great series of photos.
Perfectly photographed, my compliments.
Photo 4 is my favorite.
Best regards, Irma
I would have been in 7th heaven getting to watch them!
ReplyDeletehow very exciting!! the pictures are beautiful and the anticipation of babies is a little more than i can handle!! here in new jersey a falcon has been spotted, but i have no idea what kind!!!
ReplyDeleteand darn those spring breakers, they can get "messy" can't they!! when i had spring break from school, i requested double shifts at work so i could make more money. funny how things have changed...i would not have even contemplated a vacation, or been able to afford one!!
Oh how beautiful, Anni! And I would NOT have any patience with spring breakers either. Love, Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteit sure looks like to me there will be baby falcons, as long as predators both from the sky and humans stay away. that is not the average nest box like I have seen.. we are also in the throes of spring break plus half the northern hemisphere is here for the winter...
ReplyDeleteHello Annie. Sorry I couldn't make it this week. I'll definitely be there next week. You have super shots of the falcons and they do look love is in the air. Have a great weekend and week ahead.
ReplyDeleteSo jealous of thses photos, I love all falcons. Have a happy week, Diane
ReplyDeleteFalcons are so beautiful and to witness their behavior (although I, too, would not like all the "extra activity") must be exhilarating to say the least, Anni. (I tried to add my link, but it won't take it in the field...not sure why???)...:)JP
ReplyDeleteAnni, just now when I returned to your post, it had taken it...:)JP
ReplyDeleteWow - amazing!
ReplyDelete