Migrants and Migration, and a Book on Migration...


The weather continues to improve, the migrants are moving in, and moving out quickly...I finally saw my first hummingbird of the season. I have feeders out for them, but saw my first at a park. I am reading a hardcover book I found at our used book store, a first edition, that was published in 1999 on the subject of migration....the author's research and opinions along with many revelations throughout history since the time birds were noted. From flight patterns, to thermal zones, how one bird may run off course and land in an area considered a rarity...so so much to learn. It may be twenty years since published, but the author and time frame can very well be today, yet some, tho old school, still works for research in the 21st century!! I recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about banding birds, food stations needed, sleep patterns, reasoning and theorizing about bird migrations. The mileage these birds fly twice a year just continues to astound me.  The book:  Living on the Wind by Scott Weidensaul.  You can find used copies through Amazon for as little at a couple of dollars, most under $10!!!


This is a busy time of year for Bud and me. So, I'll stop writing now, and just share some photos taken recently...


RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
photo taken:  Blucher Park
habitat map:  Hummingbird





GREAT KISKADEE [nest building]
photos taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Kiskadee



LITTLE GREEN HERON
photo taken:  Blucher Park
habitat map:  Heron



SCISSORTAILED FLYCATCHER
photo taken:  Packery Channel Park [field]
habitat map:  Flycatcher




top: MATING KILLDEER  bottom: KILLDEER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS
photos taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park
habitat maps:  Killdeer - Yellowlegs





COOPER'S HAWK
photos taken:  Rose Hill Cemetery
habitat map:  Hawk



GRACKLE
photo taken:  Main Library
habitat map:  Grackle




For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:


17 comments:

  1. Wow Anni, I love all these birds. Awesome sightings and photos. The Kiskadee and nest are my favorites. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, thanks also for linking up and sharing your post. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures as usual....absolutely amazed at those kiskadees nest building ones ... you continue to awe and inspire. Thanks for that and of course for hosting. (And don’t work too hard on those busy Spring tasks).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take a fabulous selection of birds and it is always fun to see what you meet up with each week. The Great Kiskadee is a beauty and I always love the birds of prey.
    Have a good Sunday, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are sun drenched and stunning! The hummer shot is amazing. They rarely even hold still long enough to get this kind of shot! The Kiskadee is lovely! And though Grackles are not my favorites, I love this shot with his beak wide open! No doubt scolding someone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Kiskadee! Late to the party today-- "under the weather" with bad cold after a week in the Florida Keys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Great Kiskadee is very handsome indeed! Sure shows up with that much color! Love the Hawk and Kildeer...and all the beautiful birds you've seen! It's a great time of year for sightings! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Kiskadee is beyond beautiful! Would love it if one of those flew too far north and stopped at my house. :) I've only got male hummers right now. I suspect the females won't be far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni. Interesting post and wonderful photos. This is a busy time for birders. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting to see the GREAT KISKADEE on its nest Anni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni
    Nice series of photos of the different birds.
    Photo 2 is my favorite.
    Do you want to place my link, I cannot do it.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Das sind hervorragende und wunderbare Fotos von den brütenden Vögeln.
    Ich bin sehr begeistert !
    Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland
    Jutta
    https://kreativ-im-rentnerdasein.blogspot.com/2019/04/loving-pigeon-couple.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. You found a good bargain book there Anni. I find it interesting that lots of birders read very few bird books when there is so much research and shared knowledge out there. It's almost as if they learn some ID and then stop. That Kiskadee looks very content on the nest, almost as if hatching is near. Hope you can go back and get shots of the adults feeding the chicks.

    Great to share birding with you and others today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw about 20 grackles on our walk a couple of days ago and said to bob oh LOOK Grackles. and he said WHAT? how do you know they are grackles and my answer was I SEE THEM ON ANNIES BLOG... I love the kiskdee hiding behind the moss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grackles are interesting...I first was attracted to them because of their tail feathers in flight!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents