It seems that Port Aransas is the best place to bird so far this winter season. Most of the areas closer to my home are too quiet. But, in all honesty, I haven't been to many areas lately. When I do get in the car to go photograph birds, it's usually in the direction of the islands. On top of that, the weather hasn't been cooperating. Either rain, too windy for bird activity, or the fog so thick use of the camera is near nil. I did go to Pollywog Ponds over the past weekend, but it was foggy and misty and only a handful of birds on the ponds. But the trees in the heavily wooded wildlife sanctuary were beautiful in the wintry air...around South Texas our "Autumn foliage" is in winter. Click here to see the trees along the path. From there I drove to another park and the lakes were filled with shovelers and teals. Near the golf course, the green jays and cardinals were busy...someone had laid out seed for them near the drip system. Pictures of those areas will come at a later date. All the photos below are from Port Aransas, Texas on Mustang Island...


SORA
habitat map: Sora
length: 8 - 10 inches
wingspan: 14 inches

BLACK NECKED STILT and Northern Shoveler
habitat map: Stilt
length: 14 -15 inches
wingspan: 26 inches

BLUE WINGED TEAL
habitat map: Teal
length: 15 inches
wingspan: 27 inches

GREEN WINGED TEAL
habitat map: Teal
length: 12 - 16 inches
wingspan: 20 - 24 inches

KILLDEER
habitat map: Killdeer
length: 9 - 10 inches
wingspan: 19 - 21 inches

AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER
habitat map: Plover
length: 10 - 11 inches
wingspan: 18 - 22 inches



BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON [immature]
habitat map: Heron
length: 25 inches
wingspan: 45 inches
Those participating are:
Christina, Sweden
Cranium Bolts
Linda, Virginia USA
Lea's Menagerie
The Early Birder
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Lavender Dreams
Eileen
Travels With Birds
Phil UK
Coloring Outside the Lines
Now, share your birding experiences:

Great shots of the Sora - far from an easy bird to observe, let alone photograph.
ReplyDeleteHello, the all are great birds. I love the Sora, always a treat to see! Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day and weekend!
ReplyDeleteWe had our best sightings every yesterday at Blue Run Park. It's been a good winter so far for unique sightings. Love the Sora, I've never seen one of those. We were happy to see a Black Crowned Night heron yesterday. Love your young one! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteWonderful set of photos. Love the shot of the Killdeer and the reflection. Thanks for hostiing Id-Rather-B-Birdin. Diane
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of a Sora!! It's a water bird? none around here. The stilts look like they're wearing tuxedos! That's a lovely picture. Looks like the Night heron may be taking off...that is an impressive picture! I always like seeing them, they are so secretive. Orange eyes!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds!
ReplyDeleteOnly the Killdeer is common here, so I especially enjoy your photos of birds I rarely see or have never seen!
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Excellent photos, as usual. Thanks for hosting
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat great photos.
I find them all perfectly photographed.
I wish you a happy but above all a healthy 2020.
Best regards, Irma
your bird pics get A plus for Amazing today! I love the dancing blue winged Teal.
ReplyDeleteAmazing photos as usual. Especially liked the reflection Killdeer.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni. And a Happy New Year to you and the folks in Texas.
ReplyDeleteYour description of the recent weather sounds a little familiar. You haven't been to Lancashire lately have you - LoL. It's many years since I saw a Sora on the Isles of Scilly amd I guess it never made it back to the States. Good shots, better than my very distant views.
Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteglad to see there are still birds soemwhere. :) The Sora is a bird I never seen but we have, rarely, a similar one. Wishing you a great new birding year :)
ReplyDeleteI would be so glad to get even one of your amazing photos and birds. I still remember the first time I saw a sora and it was at Port A of course! Hope your weather gets better soon. Happy
ReplyDeleteNew Year!
Such a nice variety...I have seen the Soras twice in my life...I think they must just pass through. I need to go look and see where they live and if they do migrate...just went and looked and we are on the edge of their breeding/migration area. Love that Green-winged teal.
ReplyDeletePretty bird shots.
ReplyDeleteSo very cute! Have a lovely weekend ☺
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shots of the beautiful birds.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is ready -
ReplyDeletePlus, making money with it is as easy as 1---2---3!
Here is how it works...
STEP 1. Input into the system what affiliate products you intend to promote
STEP 2. Add some PUSH BUTTON TRAFFIC (this ONLY takes 2 minutes)
STEP 3. Watch the affiliate system grow your list and up-sell your affiliate products on it's own!
Are you ready to make money automatically???
You can test-drive the system for yourself risk free...
If you're attempting to lose pounds then you absolutely need to jump on this totally brand new personalized keto plan.
ReplyDeleteTo create this keto diet, certified nutritionists, fitness couches, and professional chefs joined together to produce keto meal plans that are productive, suitable, money-efficient, and enjoyable.
From their grand opening in January 2019, hundreds of individuals have already completely transformed their body and health with the benefits a professional keto plan can provide.
Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-certified ones offered by the keto plan.