In the Merry Merry Month of MARCH...


During this time frame, as I type this up, we are still 'free' to go out and exercise outdoors but still keeping the distance of 6-10 feet away from others. I'd prefer to only go out 'in the public' when buying groceries. If I wanna walk/go birding, I seek out the less traveled. This is a larger city, and with most all now unemployed, no school, and staying home without travel, the parks are quite over-crowded if you get there after 9 a.m. 

I know of two areas around close by that are 'less traveled'. One is for car travel only. The other, maybe 100 [high estimate] out of 1/2 million people here and in the suburbs even know of this place. I can go here, and literally be the only one there. And a big plus, it's a bird haven for most of the twelve months in a year.

So, these that follow are just a small load of photos taken the end of March -all birds seen on this post were at Pollywog Ponds...

....walking around the larger of the two ponds, I happened to look up and thought I saw a bird on the power line tower.  I snapped it in case if flew off before I could get the zoom lens adjusted.  Once the zoom was ready, I focused on the tower and the hawk was looking right at me.  You don't suppose it saw me among the trees, along the trail yards, and yards away?  Probably!!!


RED TAILED HAWK [?]
habitat map:  Hawk
length:  19-25 inches
wingspan:  46-58 inches


...then, just after I spotted the hawk, from my peripheral vision, I spotted a quiet [always mostly silent] sandpiper scouting out the banks of the water's edge...


SOLITARY SANDPIPER
habitat map:  Sandpiper
length:  8 inches
wingspan:  16 inches

...after the large pond was circled twice, I ventured over to the smaller pond nearby.  The trail was not maintained [I assume it's because of the lack of workers that are temporarily laid off] and the grasses were nearly knee high.  But I traipsed on.  Sparrows, small shorebirds [I don't know what they were, since I stayed in the grass where I could see where my footing went in case of snakes -we have water moccasins, coral snakes, and copperheads here in the vicinity, so I don't go off the path much when I can't see below the soles of my shoes.], ibis, woodpeckers heard, kingbirds, and I think I heard a kingfisher [not sure].

Anyway, I saw these beauties...



INDIGO BUNTING
habitat map:  Bunting
length:  5.5 inches
wingspan:  8-9 inches


GREAT KISKADEE
habitat map:  Kiskadee
length:  9.5 inches
wingspan:  15 inches



BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
habitat map:  Duck
length:  21 inches
wingspan:  30 inches


Nearing the car where it was parked, a beautiful cardinal tried to hide from me.  How can you miss something so bright and beautiful?  Besides, it's definitely one of my favorite birds.  Since childhood even.  That was eons ago too, trust me!!!


NORTHERN CARDINAL
habitat map:  Cardinal
length:  9inches
wingspan:  11.5 inches



Always use HYPERLINK


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Those participating this week are:

Linda aka Crafty Gardener
Phil UK
The Early Birder
Lintuilua-Birding
Linda, Virginia, USA
Traveling With Birds [no hyperlink]
NatureFootStep Photo Art
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Coloring Outside the Lines
Lavender Dreams
Lea's Menagerie
Jean@SoNotOrganized
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Tomthebackroadstraveler
Eileen


20 comments:

  1. Hello,

    It is wonderful to have a birding spot all to yourself. That is awesome. The birds are wonderful too, I would be a happy birder there too. The Indigo Bunting is lovely. The Whistling Duck is a favorite. Great capture of the Hawk and Sandpiper. Thanks for hosting. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...the Great Kiskadee is a beauty and one unknown by me, thanks for sharing. Take care and have a Joyous Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice spotting of that hawk so far up and away. I don't remember seeing the golden top of the Kiskadee's head the few times i have seen them. Nice captures! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've hit the nail on the proverbial head, Anni! Most of us who are nature lovers always seek out the paths less traveled anyway... so having an "order" to do so is right up our alley, isn't it. *ha-ha* I'm glad you have your spots to go, to commune with Mother Nature and your beloved birds. And we get the benefit of your wanderings too, via your pictures. Thank you so much for that! Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Kiskadee is very impressive! I don't think there are any here in Virginia. I am convinced the hawk could see you, isn't their vision good for at least a mile? This was a scary walk, what with all those snakes lingering around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful birds! A lot of my favorite places are a bit too crowded now as well. My older son goes out after dark for his walks but of course, not going to see too many birds that way. Glad you know of a couple "secret" spots. Take care and have a Happy Easter tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to look twice at the Indigo Bunting! What a beautiful bird and very different from what I've seen....but then it's been a long time since I've seen one! Most of the trails here are closed now. I walked down our street today but there are LOTS of walkers out here! We live in an 'active' community. I will be so happy to get back on the trails I am missing when this is over. Love seeing your photos! Makes me feel a little more normal seeing the beauty of nature! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are super shots- and I love the bunting! I hope all is well with you and yours. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great set of photos you are lucky you can go out. Walking we are only allowed in a 1 km radius of the house with a permit. We can only drive if we need to go shopping and again with a permit. Thanks for hosting. Stay safe and have a Happy Easter. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting shots. The red tailed hawk I have seen once, in Yellowstone. A beautiful raptor. The Kiskadee I have seen in Costa Rica and the whistling ducks, or a relative, in Queensland :) So, I have not been to your part of the world but still seen some of your birds. :)

    I hope you are well and healthy and not confined to your home. We have restrictions but as I am not very social I am not that affected. Take care, stay safe. And keep birding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots! You must have a strong zoom lens. I know a few parks where I rarely see another person so I go to one of those about twice a week, combining it with an errand such as picking up a prescription from a drive-through. Trying hard to keep safe distance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Anni.
    It seems like a wonderful are for birding. Great Kiskadee looks so awesome.
    Take care. Happy easter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In these times finding a birding spot all to yourself is pretty amazing. And to then get those shots of the hawk and sandpiper even better. I must apologise, I lost track of the days and forgot to link up on Saturday, but now I'm here.

    Thank you for asking about our Boris. He's out of isolation and seemingly "came close to death". Such a relief.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211821/Ive-got-b-r-thing-Boris-Johnsons-verdict-battling-coronavirus.html

    Thanks for the link Anni. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Indigo Bunting is almost, well, indigo! Pretty soon he will be visiting our backyard and we are ready to welcome him back to breed for another year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that hawk must have eyes like a hawk, ha ha… he sure was watching you. love that yellow bird with wing spread... you did good for the month of march with being isolated all month

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always see wonderful birds, and I love visiting your site because you frequently have birds that I don't see where I live. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, wow, they all call to me...I had to go look up the indigo bunting. I did not know they came in different colors..in the non breeding time. They are just so cute. And love that Great Kiskadee...as well as the BBWhistler.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the birds and you’re lucky we aren’t in your area because if we were there would be one more birder at your secret location )))! I’m pretty sure I’ve probably told you my indigo bunting story from when we were in Port A the first time. Definitely one of my spark birds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. AMAZING photos, Anni! That hawk is gorgeous as is the Indigo Bunting, another favorite of mine (so I thank you!)...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents