Oso Bay Wetlands...


Early, this past Sunday, instead of my usual drive to the islands, I chose to walk my walk along the many trails within the Oso Bay area. I first stopped at the learning center which is part of our city's school district, where school aged children can take classes and attend nature trail walking to learn about our environment. I saw a few Purple Martins at their newly erected condos, watched birds around the waterfall and the lily pond...then "hit the many pathways" to see what birds I could find at that hour of day. It seemed every where I walked, the thrashers, mockingbirds, and buntings were happy to have another beautiful morning. As I was.  At least before the heat built up. Unfortunately I can't fly up to the tops of the trees or nestle in the shade of the leaves on the branches and sing.   I had to stay on the ground with the hordes of mosquitoes that are thick as molasses since a week of days with heavy rainfall. Besides, I sing off key anyway, I'd scare the bird-life away. Here are some I spotted along the way....

...the first one, by the waterfall was one flitting about and talking to its mate perhaps. I was only able to get one not-so-good photo with branch obstruction:



ASH THROATED FLYCATCHER  or Brown crested?
habitat map: Flycatcher
Length:  8.5 inches
Wingspan:  12 inches

A young Northern Mockingbird watched me with suspicion...


NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD
habitat map: Mockingbird
Length:  10.5 inches
Wingspan:  15 inches

Serenading me with a mockingbird-like repertoire, from high atop a mesquite tree, I finally spied this one.  It is a close relative of another similar bird [the other is more rusty than dull brown seen here].  This particular species is found in  South Texas and Old Mexico...


LONG BILLED THRASHER
habitat map: Thrasher
Length:  11.5 inches
Wingspan:  12 inches

On most all trails on this day, it seemed to have one male painted bunting. I saw a lot of them just about everywhere, but no females [they're pretty too...perhaps nesting?] Busy singing [some were preening AND singing].


PAINTED BUNTING
habitat map:  Bunting
Length:  5.5 inches
Wingspan:  8.5 inches


Once I arrived at the off the ground observation deck by the bay water, the only bird spotted was a stilt:


BLACK NECKED STILT
habitat map:  Stilt
Length:  14-15 inches
Wingspan:  26 inches

...the apartment complex on the grounds:



PURPLE MARTIN
habitat map:  Martin
Length:  8 inches
Wingspan:  16 inches

I feel like adding a partridge in a pear tree 'bout now, but no...I saw two turtle mourning doves! [one photographed]


MOURNING DOVE
habitat map:  Dove
Length:  12 inches
Wingspan:  17-19 inches

This area is usually abundant in Northern Cardinals...I only saw one!! Near the end of my time out and about. Near the student's playground:


NORTHERN CARDINAL
habitat map:  Cardinal
Length:  9 inches
Wingspan:  11.5 inches


And while I was walking to leave, another flycatcher alerted me. I stopped to get pics. Notice its tail above my watermark.  [also:  with adult males, the tail can reach lengths of 15 inches -38 cm, while the females are much shorter, by 30% or more] And also, for those that don't know this species, that rusty look above the wing in the close up is not blood or an injury - it's the wing color...


SCISSOR TAIL[ed] FLYCATCHER
habitat map:  Flycatcher
Length:  11-15 inches
Wingspan:  15 inches




Always use HYPERLINK when linking in
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Participating this week:

A Quiet Corner
Cranium Bolts
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Linda, Virginia, USA
Arun
Jean@NotSoOrganized 
Travels With Birds [no hyperlink]
Tomthebackroadstraveller
The Early Birder
Phil UK
Lea's Menagerie
Lavender Dreams



15 comments:

  1. We've had rain too and I'm sure the mosquitoes have multiplied! I love the Scissortail! I haven't seen one in years and it's such a neat bird. Love the bright blue bird in your banner too. I won't be visiting as much today because I'm taking a break from the computer because of headaches. I'll peek at a few bird blogs though! Have a good weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni,
    Sorry, I am missing birds in my post this week. I did want to stop by and see your post, lovely birds and photos. The Painted Bunting will always be a favorite of mine, the male is beautiful. I would love to see most of these birds, a few are new to me. Great photos! Enjoy your day, happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh such breathtaking pictures, Anni!!!! Such eye candy.... brings satisfaction without one single calorie! :-) Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous pictures! And that long tail!!! I love how you can capture the birds singing. The singing Bunting is gorgeous! The eye and bill of the Thrasher are gorgeously deadly looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful collection of birds!
    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...the painted bunting is one that i rarely if every see! Thanks for hosting and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you really hit the jackpot! Every photo is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That painted bunting is gorgeous! You saw a great variety of birds. As much as I love the warmer weather, I'm not looking forward to the mosquitoes! I'm hoping it won't be too bad for them this year but we've had lots of rain so it might be a rough one. Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great place to visit and enjoy birds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos an that painted bunting is very beautiful. Thanks for hosting. Keep well and stay safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great series of pictures, Anni, and it brings back memories of birding trips to south Texas many years ago. I doubt that I will ever be there again, but the memories live forever. I think that Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is one of my all time favourite discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your comments on my blog today Anni. I think the difference is that you and I have spent years at The University of Life. Luckily we don't get mossies here in the frozen north. We don't get those gorgeous Painted Buntings either, nor the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, two stunning birds. I guess those two are partly tropical species with such colouration.

    Thanks for the linky today. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures as always! I resumed birding after 3 months of lockdown. Hope to be more regular here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scrolling through your gorgeous photos of these gems, Anni, I'd think, "My favorite" but I think if EVER I saw a Painted Bunting in person I would keel over!!!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents