The Roseate...


If you are like me sometimes, when I sight in on a wader, they are as still, and unmoving as a store shop mannequin. Like a lawn ornament [what I call yard art]. Maybe once in a while you can capture a glimpse of the head moving or the blink of an eye as they close them to nod off out of boredom. I consider myself lucky if one takes off in flight, yet only capturing the tail-end in the photo frame 'cause their actual movement was so unexpected. Well Monday morning of this week, a birder friend informed me the Whooping Cranes have arrived in Port Aransas for the winter. This year, the couple brought along their family...a third one; a juvenile. I took the liberty of driving there, stopping to see if I could find them. Nope. But, I stuck around and noticed two Roseate Spoonbills in the pond, soaking up the early morning sun. One remained statuesque, while the second one began a morning ritual of preening. And kept at it while I recorded it all "on film". So, this post is ALL one Spoonbill I've dubbed Rose [sorry Rose, I know you probably don't like the fact you have a namesake]...

NOTE: Pay particular attention to the next to the last one in the following series. The bill...how on earth?!!




While in the fishing village, I spotted several other birds, Yellowlegs, Killdeer, American Bittern, White Pelicans, Brown Pelicans, Coots, Ducks, Egrets, Herons, Sparrows, Kinglets, Warblers, Woodpeckers, Gulls, Moorhens, Avocets, Terns, Sandpipers, Hawks, Osprey, ONE Falcon, and more. It was a busy morning and 256 photos [some of those not all bird photos, lol]

Always use HYPERLINK when linking up


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Now share your birding experiences:


20 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I've only spotted Roseate Spoonbills twice. The first time it was so far away I didn't get a great photo, then just recently we had a few fly over our yard one afternoon, my husband thought they were flamingos lol. I didn't get a shot that time, I was too busy laughing. These are excellent photos Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! That next to last one...even with enlarging it, I can't make out what is going on with the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose's poses while the other bird dozes steal the steal the show(zes)! Your're jealous? Only this week while out watching the local eagle nest a family arrived. They had two little daughters-- the oldest was maybe six or seven years old. I pointed out a Merlin which was occupying one of the eagles' favorite roosts. She said "that is my second new bird this week! Her Dad said "Tell Ken what the first one was." She said they had a Roseate Spoonbill in their back yard lake! I told her "That's wonderful! I haven't had one in our lake over the past 18 years we have lived in Florida!" (I then had an attack of Spoonbill envy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't make out what it going on with the bill in the next to last photo! But as I've said before...this is my VERY favorite Florida bird and one I have only seen in the wild a few times. They are so odd to look at...I love them! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Sounds like a great outing, wonderful sightings of the Roseate Spoonbill. They are beautiful, love their color. The next to last Spoonbill looks to have it's head all twisted. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, beautiful!!! I remember when living down there I thought the Roseate Spoonbills were pink pelicans, from a distance you know what I mean? I called my cousin and told her I found pink pelicans, she is like cousin what are you taking or drinking lol ME NOTHING I took her to said "pink pelicans" and she was like WOW we later found out there were Roseate Spoonbills always love the memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose is stunning and apparently thinks so too it seems!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love spoonbills, fascinating birds. Thanks for hosting, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh they are so pretty and you got some wonderful photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A joy to see your photographs of the Roseate Spoonbill.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rose is very beautiful indeed and merits all the attention she is receiving. The last Roseate Spoonbills I saw were in Cuba a few years ago. Perhaps there she would be called Rosa or even Rosita!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Anni. Where do I find one of those heatwaves you talk about? For weeks huh? We should be so lucky. Those Roseate Spoonbills are rather lovely and as you say their eating methods by using those bills are very specialised. Not your average wader at all.

    Thanks for the link today. Stay warm while we stay wet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Number 7 number 10 number 12 number 13 I would like printed and hanging on my walls. All of these are absolutely stunning. He or she was standing and the perfect light and you did so well in capturing every movie made amazing amazing amazing all of them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing birds! Great photos!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such neat looking birds and I love all those action shots. Can't figure out the bill on the second to the last photo though I love the photo. Almost like she's making "a funny face" for your camera. Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL on that one shot!!!! You sure got a lot of great shots of Rose....she is a beauty. And has such a beautiful name...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rose looks fabulous! Have a pleasant Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous picture of the spoonbills! The next to the last shot is very interesting. Wish I knew the story on that one. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never seen a spoonbill...yes, quite the feature! Remarkable photos, Anni.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents