I walked the trail system at Oso Bay Wetlands the other day. It was a gray, overcast, cloudy morning and there wasn't much bird activity going on. Once I reached the observation deck that overlooks the bay area, I watched a white morphed reddish egret feeding and doing its ballet routine with its outstretched wings. As I searched the other areas I noticed, way in the distance, a couple of dark 'spots' on the landscape that may be birds. So, I viewed through the camera lens and realized it was two Crested Caracaras. The smaller one was grabbing what I thought was a piece of wood at first [only to realize it was a rotted fish carcass]. Watching the couple a while through the lens, I started taking photos of the two grooming each other. I read that they mate for life, and that grooming one another is a 'family ritual'. Perhaps a mating couple?! This is the time of year they begin to build nests, so maybe.




CRESTED CARACARA
habitat map: Caracara

NEOTROPIC CORMORANT
habitat map: Cormorant

BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK[s]
two whistling their unmistakable call
habitat map: Duck

NORTHERN PINTAIL
habitat map: Pintail

LONG BILLED CURLEW
habitat map: Curlew
I drove to Indian Point Park between Corpus Christi and Portland, Texas on the North Bay in hopes of finding a Brown Booby [there were four reported seen the previous day]. But, I didn't see any, and I couldn't pull over safely on the causeway bridge to view along the edges 'cause of the amount of traffic. So, I opted to stop at the fishing pier and walk along that so that I may see some wintering Common Loons. They frequent this area each season. I saw Five!! All in their winter plumage, of course. But, I only followed one as it dived only to reappear several yards away from where it disappeared.




COMMON LOON
habitat map: Loon

Now share your birding experiences:
interesting behavior of the Crested Caracaras. Beautiful shots. The cormorant is a nice bird and I hope it will arrive to my destination soon. The other birds is good sigjtings. I hope to see the pintail and come curlews this year. I wish!
ReplyDeleteTake care!
beautiful photos this week. I didn't have the opportunity to go out birding as it has been below freezing since Feb 7 thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteThose Whistling ducks look like their beaks would glow in the dark! Great sightings this week and neat places you were able to visit. Hope you are snug inside this weekend with the winter weather! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeletethe loons made me smile, they have expressive faces... the pintail is my favorite, really mystic looking, love it
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni
ReplyDeleteAwesome sighting of the 2 Carcaras. The NOrthern Pintail is a beautiful duck. I love the Whistling Ducks and the Common Loon too. Great outing and photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
Those caracaras sure look happy together!
ReplyDeleteThe 2 crested caracara are so gorgeous! I know they are birds of prey but I can't resist, they are beautiful and so in love!
ReplyDeleteVery beautiful photos, Anni!
Thanks for hosting and for sharing!
WOW, Loon sightings seem to be so rare! Now if only you could hear their haunting call. The Caracara pair are just SO sweet!!
ReplyDeleteInteresting behaviour by the Caracara couple. Perhaps celebrating Valentine’s Day in their own special way.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen Crested Caracaras before - great photos of them and other great shots too! I'm here for the first time but not for the last :-)
ReplyDeleteBest wishes from Austria,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/02/ausflug-in-den-nationalpark-neusiedler.html
The mutual grooming behavior you witnessed reminds me of what I see happen with the Bald Eagles, Anni! Perhaps I;ll witness it with my Osprey this year as well. Stay healthy..jp
ReplyDeleteI love the ones of the Crested Caracaras...actually enjoyed them all. Reminded me that I wanted to look up the loon.
ReplyDeleteThey look like teenagers in love! Happy Valentine's Day!
ReplyDeleteMorning Anni. I'm sure you are correct. Those caracaras look to be very much paired up. Birds are quick to recognise when spring is on the way and although there's no nesting here yet, there is plenty of song and other paired activity. The early bird catches the girl! Nicer shots of the loons (Great Northern Diver to us).
ReplyDeleteHave a great week.
Happy Valentine's Day!
ReplyDeleteThese are great Anni! The Caracaras are adorable. I saw two doves in my backyard yesterday doing the same. It's so sweet to see them all lovey like that. The Black Bellied Whistling ducks are really pretty. Happy Valentine's Day! :)
ReplyDeleteA great series of photos! I am learning so much from your blog. I look at your birds and try to ID them before looking at the ID below the photos. I got them all correct this week, though I must confess I was guessing on the Curlew!
ReplyDeleteThose birds knew it was nearly valentines day :-) Keep well and stay safe, Diane
ReplyDeleteAlways enjoy your photos, really like the whistling ducks! Hope the crazy cold weather isn't hitting too hard down there. Hope you have a great week!
ReplyDeleteCaracaras are not necessarily the birds I’d think of for a Valentine’s card, but dang those are sweet loving pictures! I love them. And all your birds.
ReplyDeleteThe whistling ducks have such a cute face.
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely photographs.
ReplyDeleteMy favourites are the Black Bellied Whistling Ducks.
All the best Jan