Garden Birds...


It's been a quiet week for birding. The temperatures have soared, a tropical storm in the Gulf as I type this up on Thursday, but we will feel a lot more humidity because of the storm front-if possible!  lol], and I have to really stick close to home and do some yard work with Bud before each day gets too hot to be outdoors.  We got way behind in the yard cleanup with Erik being here for a week and the flooding rains; waiting for things to dry out so we we're not sinking in the mud...and now, I don't want us to suffer heat stroke [108°-112°F 44.4°C] So, I share the few birds I spotted as I walked the trails through the Botanical Gardens early one morning over a week ago.  As you can see, the birds sighted are quite common throughout North America, except for the "Texas Kiskadee"...


EGRETS Herons and ducks on the far side of the larger lake



HOUSE SPARROWS
Habitat map: Sparrow


KILLDEER
Habitat map: Killdeer


NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD
Habitat map: Mockingbird


GREAT KISKADEE
Habitat map: Kiskadee


MOURNING DOVE
Habitat map: Dove
 
 
I hope the Linking Tool works this week.  Seems last week their server was down for a few hours!  I couldn't do anything to assist except wait for the return.  Apologies.


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Linking Tool is now closed. Come back Saturday at noon [Texas CDT] for a new edition!

16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I like the mid air shot of the Sparrow. The Killdeer is one of my favorite. The Kiskadee with it's meal, the Mockingbird and Dove are great captures too. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sparrows made me laugh, they look like Say What? adorable and love the precious dove and most of all the killdeer playing pee pi, I see you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great captures Anni! The little dove is my favorite. I get a lot of those in my yard and they are just the sweetest little birds. I'm glad it's been a good birding week for you. Be careful out in the heat doing that yard work, don't overdo it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same problem with the heat and humidity here. We have to be careful and hope for some cloud cover and a little breeze. You took some wonderful photos. Love the Mockingbird with the berry. Nice to see the usuals! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anni,
    it got very hot here, too. I can only offer you a flying hawk and a couple of ducks. Unfortunately, there was nothing more to discover. Your bird photos are always a pleasure - I find the sparrows especially pretty!
    Happy weekend and hugs from Austria!
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/06/zwei-habsburger-schlosser-und-ihre-parks.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kiskadee one is my favorite, because he is so impressive, and we have none around here. I also love the killdeer just peeking out with one eye. Stay cool! I think you should buy one of those little fans that you wear around your neck like a necklace O2Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer here gets too hot for my liking, so I am glad that I don't have to deal with the kind of heat and humidity you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots of the birds, especially like the Northern Mockingbird and House sparrow pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It gets really hot here also. Excellent photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow your bird images are really interesting ,i so enjoyed sparrow photos ,so amusing ,great shots :)

    i am really sorry about such heat in your part of land ,we too experience extreme summers here in southern Pakistan ,our temps rise from 40 to 50 cl for four months almost
    stay safe and healthy friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear Anni. Those temperatures and such humidity do sound extreme, even for those of us who crave the sun. I like the Killdeer hiding from your camera, so funny! Good too the way you pictured the Mockingbird with that berry, not so easy when birds swallow berries so quickly. I hope it's cooler for you today so you can get those chores done but I know you'd rather be birding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have had rain and high humidity along with temps in the usual high 90s. This week's birds, like yours (except for the Kiskadee!) are just common ones. However it is good to take a closer look and enjoy them. Actually I have not recorded a House Sparrow in our local wetlands over more than ten years of near-daily walks. They can be seen in some shopping centers about a mile or more away, but they seem dependent upon handouts and garbage supplied by human activity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You wonder how long it will be before the power grid is unable to handle the increased demand for air conditioning with temperatures like that day after day. If it fails people will start to die. And you wonder how the birds are able to cope with these extremes. They too have their limits. It got to thirty-two degrees here a few days ago, already way too hot for me, so I have no idea how you cope with the conditions you have to endure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos! My favorites - the two House Sparrow shots!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely set of photos. I can appreciate your high temperatures I remember what it was like in Vegas a couple of years back!! Also on Tuesday we decided to go to a bird Park 1 1/2 hours drive away. The first time we have been out of home radius for 15 months. Temperatures soared here and few birds around. Then the drive home we got caught up in a traffic jam due to to two trucks colliding and one bursting into flames. The trip took over 5 hours and we were sat in a car with over 104F showing on the dashboard!! I cannot stand A/C it makes me ill, pneumonia 3 times. We are still in recovery mode!! Keep safe and cool. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Phew! Your weather sounds hot!
    Nice to see these photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents