About Hummers...


Early in July, a reported vagrant bird was seen near Corpus Christi for a few weeks by then. The drive for me would calculate to about 20-30 minutes. I used my GPS on my smartphone to get to the private residence where it was last seen. I parked, got out of the car with my camera at the ready....noticing that the property owner was indeed another birder. There were hummingbird feeders galore, and feed stations situated throughout his yard for seed lovers. Of course, the property was fenced, but the gentleman came outdoors and told me where it was last seen [yes, it was still there and seen about 1 hour earlier]. We talked, he was very informative, and a congenial host. It was a misty morning so he offered that I go into the yard and stand under the patio covering. That was nice of him.

I stayed around about 30 minutes and saw no vagrant.

Two days later I believe, the bird still reported in the area, and we had a break in the bad weather we were having, I told Bud I was off to try again. Upon arriving, it was reminiscent of the movie "The Big Year" [if you have never seen this movie, it's a great movie, even for those that do not have a desire to bird]...birders from as far as New York, Michigan and other states were there. I happened to stand by a couple of birders that arrived shortly after I did, from Houston. We all watched vigilantly. Aha, some spotted it at feeder #3! The shutter buttons clicked away. I got one photo...but only 1/2 a bird visible before it took off again. It started raining heavily, and I got soaked. I went to the car to get my stash of 'come in handies". A towel and a large billed hat. Then again I took my ground and watched and waited. It returned! I got a few more shots, and walked a distance under a tree branch to hopefully get more. The bird stayed around for a few minutes moving from bush to feeder #4 and #3. My photos were not pristine nor much clarity, but I got the vagrant visitor recorded in photo and my birding chart.

The bird? A Green Breasted Mango Hummingbird. Mainly from the Central American area and northern South America. A consensus determining it was a young male. [females are marked similar]. The feather pattern and the down-curved bill is unique comparing them to North American hummingbirds. [In the interim, I also spotted a black chinned hummer and a buff bellied hummer -buff bellied being the red-orange bill-]... 




BUFF BELLIED HUMMINGBIRD
Habitat map: Hummingbird


BLACK CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD
Habitat map: Hummingbird

These are the only photos I got. I am not sure if the bird remains in Texas, but I am satisfied to have these, and to have seen the rare bird with little travel time



GREEN BREASTED MANGO HUMMINGBIRD
Habitat map: Hummingbird
    The Green-breasted Mango is a hummingbird of tropical America. They are normally found near the coasts of central and southern Mexico, and in Central America, but populations also occur in a few locations in northern South America. They were unknown in the United States until a bird was identified in south Texas in 1988. While still a very rare vagrant in the United States...source



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


The Linking tool is now closed. Return Saturday for a new one!!

16 comments:

  1. An entertaining read Anni. That hummingbird must be very rare for people to travel so far. And in the end you found some good photos. I must say that over here the owners of properties where rarities turn up, are not always so accommodating. Good work Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Hummingbird lifer. It is nice that the homeowners were birders and had the feeders set up. I am sure all the birders in the area enjoyed seeing these hummingbirds. I have seen some on a trip to Panama, on the east coast here we only see the Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you were able to capture the rare bird after putting so much effort. So nice of the property owner to have such a setup and being so accommodating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those vertical stripes on the stomach!! I have never seen or known about a hummer like this one. The black chinned is lovely too! this has to be one of your most exciting spottings EVER! You get very good pictures, considering the circumstances. This is one for your birdng history books. I, too, saw a very rarebird for this area yesterday and again today. I am posting it for tomorrow. I think you probably have alot, but they are only a sea bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to know you saw it and got it recorded in your birding chart, another one checked off the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dedication paid off! A fine collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great bird, quite worth all your efforts. Nice to have such a hospitable homeowner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great bird to see in the United States. It would have been a shame not to drive the half hour to see it, especially when you met this charming homeowner who went out of his way to help you. That adds greatly to the pleasure of the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you would be so happy here, there are bird preserves every where, dozens of them and many are under 10 miles from us.. these hummers are beuutiful, the emeral green is a favorite color for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you! How exciting to get to see a variety of hummingbirds. So far, I've only seen the ruby-throated and black-chinned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hummingbirds are so precious... I love their tiny little hearts!!! :) You got some beautiful photos, as always, Anni! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos of the birds in your garden. A kolibrie in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! And well done with the photos!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lucky and fortunate INDEED, Anni!!! It is a beautiful bird...striking!!...jp

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely to see all of these photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents