On the Prowl....


There is a large private lake in Flour Bluff Texas [a suburb of Corpus Christi] that most often has a large flock of Sandhill Cranes during the winter months when they arrive in late October/early November. The surrounding fields and tree outcropping is ideal for them. In fact, if you drive down the county road with the windows open, you can hear them calling from miles away. Okay, so I wasn't in search of the cranes of course, but I found myself driving down the road, looking for any birds [hoping to see some hawks maybe? Or an Ahinga?]. Well I saw only ducks on the lake and across the very large watering hole is another smaller pond. In this small pond I often see Anhingas in the tree island near the center. While I stopped there to search for any activity, I spied a Black Crowned Night Heron only. As I was readying to leave the area, a Green Heron flew into the tree outcropping. At first I thought it was in search of nesting material....too late in the season for that, right Anni? I thought so. I sat with the car idling and watched. It was on the hunt for something! Climbing stealthily up a thin branch, it stalked. Finally it turned and walked back. The action was too quick for me to realize just what happened!

I got home to take the images of the heron off the camera card and looked closely!! I finally, after going through them a 2nd and then 3rd time...I finally saw what it was after...

>
LITTLE GREEN HERON
Habitat map: Heron


In case you missed it in the series above, look closer to the photo #4 from the top....

encircled: A green anole [lizard]

For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Linking Tool is now closed for the week...Saturday a new post and new tool

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful bird! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni,

    The Green Heron is one of my many favorite birds. Great series and neat capture of the lizard. Soon to be dinner lizard. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Yum! It needs a few more of those to make a meal. I always get a look when I tell someone this is a Green Heron. Great series of photos! Enjoy your weekend. It's hard to get out here in this heat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, excllent detective work! And wonderful hunting and capturing photos. He is a real beauty with the yellow accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green Herons are opportunistic feeders and this individual just proved the point. Well done to capture this event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful series! I would have thought it was collecting nesting materials.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great series of photos, well done. Keep safe and thanks for hosting, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did miss it until you showed us. poor little guy, we have brown anoles here and they are like pets. I see cranes and egrets in the front yard diving on them. must taste good. we talk to ours and have for years, there is a big male, about 6 inches and he lives on our chairs and the table between them. he pays no no attention to us at all. Beau doesn't bother them, neither did Big boy, so they have had 4 years of safe harbor.
    this is a beautiful litle green heron, i have only seen a few of them. that is because i don't go out there looking. you could snap your self silly here with herons and cranes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must admit that I needed your hint to find the object of its attention. Seemed too stealthy to be collecting sticks and besides, the nest-building season is past. We have had Cattle Egrets, Green Herons and Great Egrets hunting for anoles right up on our patio. Most of our anoles are exotic Brown Anoles as they have largely displaced the native green ones. He did end up with a stick in his beak but it was likely a by-catch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed it too Anni. But you're right, those darned birds are often too quick for the human eye to follow. Made more difficult in this case by the type of lizard, one we never see in the UK. Many thanks for the link today and enjoy the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never would have seen that little guy if you hadn't pointed him out. Wonderful series. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni, beautiful coloured hero. Beautiful serie photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photographs.
    Many thanks for pointing that out, I would have missed it!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been a long time since I saw a Green Heron. Your photos are beautiful! I would love to hear the calls of the Sandhills Cranes. Happy weekend to you Anni :)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents