Seems one month we are inundated with flood waters from continual rain. Then, it stops. Within a few days, some of the flat land dries quickly, becoming mudflats that some birds will casually habitat for a few days. One particular area in town, Ward Island, [this is where the NAS -Naval Air Station is located for pilot training. And, if interested, where President George H W Bush trained during WWII]- ... on June 12, 1942, Bush had graduated from high school and joined the Navy as a seaman, second class. But, in less than a year, he completed flight training at NAS Corpus Christi, Texas, was commissioned an ensign, and went on to fly TBM Avengers with VT-51. For a time, he was the youngest pilot in Naval Aviation.
source
One day I found myself driving along Ocean Drive and ended up just outside the entrance gates of the Army-Navy Air Station. I walked the flats as you see in the photo above.
I didn't see too many birds as I walked, keeping an eye on the ground more so for snakes [I hate snakes]. In the distance where Oso Bay surrounds the island and meanderes around the Corpus Christi Texas A&M island campus, I could see some herons and skimmers, and spoonbills. Overhead gulls and brown pelicans flew. The few birds I saw on the mudflats were mostly willets and a couple of plovers. Around the bend were about a dozen terns...

WILLET
Habitat map: Willet

WILSON'S PLOVER
Habitat map: Plover

LEAST TERN
Habitat map: Tern
I left that area and headed to another island, Mustang Island along the barrier reef. I walked a short distance and stopped for the day. In south Texas, in the summer, the heat indices will force you to enjoy the great outdoors for a brief outing and then head back to where there is an A C in the car, and back home with the same cooling comfort...

WHITE TAILED HAWK
Habitat map: Hawk

BLACK TERN
Habitat map: Tern

ROSEATE SPOONBILL
Habitat map: Spoonbill

Linking Tool is now closed
Hello Anni,
ReplyDeleteYour outing looks like it was very nice, with great bird sightings. I am not sure about walking on the mud, maybe in a pair of boots. The sightings of the birds like the Black Tern, Wilson's Plover, White-tailed Hawk and the Roseate Spoonbill would have made me happy. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend.
You found great birds on that trip Anni. The Black Tern is very interesting to me. Over here we now separate the species as Black Tern and American Black Tern since some of yours found their way across the pond. Amazing. Thanks the links today and enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteAs always, a wonderful series of images, Anni. It is not hard to imagine that the heat would quickly force you back to the comfort of your air-conditioned vehicle. It already starts to get to me by the time we reach thirty (mid eighties F) so it must be really dispiriting to face the kind of heat you do day after day. At least there were no snakes to bother you!
ReplyDeleteVery productive trip! The White-tailed Hawk and Black Tern are spectacular!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to get out and see what you can see. We have water standing in the ditches and low areas now from the little showers we've been having. I love the Roseate Spoonbill...I always say it's my favorite bird. It's so rare to see one in the wild here. We did see a Stork yesterday though! lol
ReplyDeleteI am impressed with the black tern, have never seen one of those, the others are common here, 845 nautical miles from you... I love storks almost as much as pelicans. i see you saw one while out
ReplyDeleteSnakes scare me too, even the non-venomous ones that cross my path while birding. You found some great looking birds. The willet, Wilson’s plover, hawk and the spoonbill are among my favourites.
ReplyDeleteAlways interesting reading your post and of course, the images are beautiful. I'm not too fond of snakes either and always get nervous about them so tend to stick to paved paths (as if they know the difference!). Hope you are enjoying some a/c this weekend.
ReplyDeleteWhite Tailed Hawk and Black Tern, I have never heard of them! They are very impressive. The Black Tern somehow doesn't even look natural, like he was maybe dipped in ink. somehow kind of spooky, like the Darth Vader of birds.
ReplyDeleteInteresting post. Don't get overheated out there.
ReplyDeleteThe black tern really caught my eye! I would love to find a white-tailed hawk in front of my camera. Very nice photos!
ReplyDeleteI love those spoonbills... such a unique bird. ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteLove that White Tailed Hawk!!!! Thank YOU for sharing it...jp
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, beautiful serie photos of the birds on this island. I like the tern and plover. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni! What an awesome outing with such great bird sightings!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your fantastic photos series especially that shot of the spoonbill.
Happy Thursday!
All great photographs.
ReplyDeleteFirst time I've seen a black tern.
Happy Thursday to you.
All the best Jan
You found great birds on your trip. I love all the awesome bird photos.
ReplyDelete