Legacy Point...


Most of the summer months so far, when I've been out driving or on a birding excursion to some parks and wetlands, I've been in search of the Wood Stork. In Coastal Texas they are usually a prominent bird seen in the month of July. I have not seen ONE in all the hotspots I've visited. Then, another birder informed me of an area I didn't even know existed. It's at the end of a cul-de-sac in a newly created subdivision. It's called Legacy Point. He told me there is a shallow lake there and he saw some storks; knowing that I've been in search for them. I used my phone's GPS and typed in the area's name and got directions...drove to the end, and there was the water. And there were the storks!! I estimated 80-125 storks in one area!! Among other birds such as stilts, herons, and egrets. The storks were quite active, feeding on fish. Most times, in fact ALL times, I've only seen them standing at a statuesque pose like the yard art flamingo!! This was exciting for me to see them in 'action'....










WOOD STORKS
habitat map: Stork


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Linking tool is now closed for the week.

15 comments:

  1. I love storks almost as much as Pelicans. I lean towards so ugly they are cute birds. These are awesome, the most I have seen in one place is four storks. what a find

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a retired OB nurse "storks" are very special to me. They made a lot of deliveries to my unit during my tenure at the hospital. ;-) ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this place is really a WONDERFUL discovery, dear Anni! I'm so happy for you! You succeeded in wonderful stork photos, also a pleasure for me, this sight!
    Happy Weekend and all the best from Austria
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/08/von-gottesanbeterinnen-eismachern-und.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anni. I liked your Stork pictures. We rarely see storks in the UK as they are more of a European species, both White Storks and Black Storks. Nice new blog setting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are large and stunning. You got such good variety in your photos, they are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Anni,

    Nice looking blog, I assume it is a new background or theme? Fantastic sighting of the Wood Storks. I have only seen them in North Caroline and Florida. Awesome collection of photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful when this kind of serendipitous event happens? All credit to the other birder who tipped you off to this location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvelous photos! 80-125 storks is amazing. Don't let them follow you home cuz I've heard they bring babies. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great find! The storks were quite common visitors to our back yard lake until several tears ago, when all suddenly disappeared and they even abandoned their huge breeding colonies in south Florida. They were reacting to the adverse effects of development and drainage of favored feeding areas, but mostly the change in rainfall and ground water levels which disrupted their breeding and feeding habits. They spread to the north but over the past three years have returned south to some of their historic habitats. Still lucky to see even one at our lake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting to have a new place to look for birds and the storks are a neat sighting. You took some great photos and I know you enjoyed seeing them. They are beautiful....different and very stately!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS I like your new banner! Very artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Storks! I don't remember ever seeing storks in the wild. Great photos!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun that had to be...I would have wanted to stay all day. Well, maybe not in the heat...but still...I would really have loved to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, a lovely set of photos. Sorry I am not keeping up with blogs and comments just so much going on. Lots to do in the garden and I have not had time to process photos that I have taken, I am getting backlogged!!
    Hope all is well, take care, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos of this birds Anni. I like your header.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents