This Week's Birds....


On Sunday morning, I walked the trail along the edge of Oso Bay on Ward Island. This trail was 'built' for the students attending Texas A&M, but still open to public use. I only go there a couple times of year. During the summer when classes are nearly non-existent, and then again during the Christmas Break when most all students go home or take a trip away from studying. Most times, at that time, I have the trail to myself. On this particular day, I met up with one couple walking in the opposite direction, and then, a great variety of birds along the shore and out in the bay. [Of course there were guys out in the deeper parts, fishing! That's a given.] Here are some of what I spotted along the path and then taking steps off the path and walking along the mangrove bushes to see what shorebirds were in the quiet areas; away from people...



BLACK NECKED STILTS [parent and 3 juveniles]
Habitat map: Stilt


LITTLE BLUE HERON
Habitat map: Heron


GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER [Juvenile]
Habitat map: Woodpecker


GREAT BLUE HERON
Habitat map: Heron


WILLET
Habitat map: Willet


WHITE IBIS
Habitat map: Ibis

Back at the parking lot after a 3 mile walk, I drove out of the area and headed toward the Naval Air Station to just drive and see what I could see of birds along the mudflats and open water. I had to pull over, get my zoom lens steadied, and shoot outside the car window...Dowitchers, Gulls, and Godwits!



SHORT BILLED DOWITCHER [long billed?]
Habitat map: Dowitcher



MARBLED GODWIT
Habitat map: Godwit

By the way, the hour I arrived to walk the first trail, it has just stopped raining for a short period, cooled it some, and the trail is 90% shaded by black willow trees and mesquite. You can see this beautiful, peaceful, area, lined with gazebos, and see one fisherman in his JAWS [shark] kayak in the bay...HERE.


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Linking Tool is now closed for the week

15 comments:

  1. Hi Anni, how wonderful a walk you had. To see the BLACK NECKED STILTS with the young ones is a wonder I can only dream of. From your photos the GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER is the one I have never seen on my trips. The MARBLED GODWIT are also a favorite. Always happy to see it.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Black Necked Stilt shots are wonderful, I especially like the one with his beak open. I don't think I've ever seen a Little Blue, how different he is from the Great!! Fabulous takeoff shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Anni
    Wonderful collection of bird sightings, looks like a nice walk. I love the Stilt and the Godwit is one of my favorite today. Thank you for hosting. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to be able to have the trail to yourself and it is obviously highly productive from a birding perspective. Thanks as always for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are TRYING to catch a morning after a rain or at least one with a bit of a breeze. It's just SO hot and humid right now. I miss getting out! Love the golden fronted woodpecker! I wouldn't know what it was if I saw one! Well...maybe I would now! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE those stilts, both birds and photos. the woodpecker is brilliant, I can county is feathers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially liked the stilt family and the colorful dowitcher and godwit photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colors! The birds and water are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent sightings and you captured them in very interesting poses. I especially like the Little blue heron, Golden fronted woodpecker, Ibis and the Godwit shots. The stilts are also a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have your birding walks timed well there Anni. You can't blame the birds for going elsewhere when there are hordes of noisy folk around. You proved the point that birding alone or in pairs gets the most sightings. I'm thinking you're correct about that dowitcher as a Short-billed but shame you didn't hear it call because I believe it is diagnostic.

    Thanks for the link as ever and enjoy your week ahead birding incognito.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only were the birds amazing, I liked the reflections in some of your photographs too :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photographs. I have checked them out here before, but still searching for that caracara. I'll keep clicking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outstanding photos Anni, loved all of them but the Great Blue Heron just taking off, I enjoyed particularly as it showed how very long its legs are. Thanks so much and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your first few shots with the birds' reflections are amazing, Anni!! I really am partial to that juvenile woodpecker...jp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some of these are just gorgeous...even though the are not bright colored. Your photos show them for how beautiful they are.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents