The Heat is On....


Sounding like a broken 'record'...the song: "The Heat is On!". Yep, still we swelter with no cold [or even a cool] front moving in in the near future. Of course, that's South Texas in summer. But, I'll be happy when November moves in and the hurricane season slows down to nothing threatening the Texas coast with Gulf temps reaching the magical number:  80°F.  Once water surface temps drop to eighty or below, no hurricanes.  And the air dries up and cooler nights and days.  Now, I just don't get out much these days to walk or go birding. And if I do venture out, I'm not out long and most birds are finding cooler areas too; very few seen. So...
These photos [I'm not sure about the hawk IDs] are from weeks past; early Spring:


SHARP SHINNED HAWK [?]
Habitat map:  Hawk


RED SHOULDERED HAWK [Juvenile?]
Habitat map:  Hawk


DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANT
Habitat map:  Cormorant


RED WINGED BLACKBIRD
Habitat map:  Blackbird


BLACK SKIMMER
Habitat map:  Skimmer


GREAT BLUE HERON
Habitat map:  Heron


SPOTTED SANDPIPER
Habitat map:  Sandpiper


COMMON GALLINULE [Moorhen]
Habitat map:  Gallinule


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Linking Tool is now Closed for the week.

18 comments:

  1. Hello Anni,
    Beautiful birds and sightings. Awesome captures of the Raptors. I always enjoy seeing the Black Skimmers doing their thing. Love the Heron in flight and the sweet Sandpiper. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that song and the movie (Beverly Hills Cop). Hang in there, our heatwave finally broke Thursday evening. Hopefully, it will cool off for you a little bit soon. Always enjoy your bird photos. The red-winged blackbird is my favorite image up there. Thanks for hosting. Hope you have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Skimmer & Heron shots are my favorite. You captured the Heron flying, and also calling! And the Skimmer is gorgeous with it's wings open wide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heat is a bane for birds and birders. Wishing better climes. Awesome selection of birds, I like the Red-winged blackbird and the double cotton behind of the moorhen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your posts and photos, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine silhouettes and portraits of birds. Thanks for sharing and hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer heat is really debilitating, I find. I can't wait for the first crisp, frosty morning. I could gladly banish July and August!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the heat and I hate the cold, but we have barely had summer this year! Think you must be having our share of the heat. Lovely set of photos, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your beloved state of Texas cools down soon, Anni. Here in northern-most Indiana we're in the middle of our cool-down. How long it will stay is anybody's guess. I'm hoping it will stay until next summer!! *lol* ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a few beers in the fridge Anni. You gave us difficult ones there. I think you are correct with Sharpie but do you think the next could be Broad-winged Hawk?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sure is difficult finding birds these days. Of course, I'm hanging out where it is cool, too. I'm always impressed by the birds you find. I love the hawks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Great Blue sure is a beautiful photo! But I think that Moorhen has an attitude! heehee! Hope this next storm doesn't bring us too much crazy weather! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anni, beautiful photos of the hawk and the other birds. I like birds of prey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these, and I learn a lot from your posts. Hope you don't get any of the bad storms this season. I'll always remember now that when the temperature reaches 80 degrees or below, that's the end of hurricane season. I'm looking forward to the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful photographs.
    I really like the red winged blackbird.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Your" Sharp shinned hawks are gorgeous, Anni and I think that the Red Shoulder is also a juvie. Of course "our" red wings look the same as do our Great Blue Herons (don't you love their call???)...jp

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Annie,
    What beautiful pictures of the birds.
    It is very hot in your country, I read.
    We have a very cool summer here, the temperature has not yet risen above 23 degrees Celsius.
    Last year we had a hot summer when it was 36 degrees Celsius.
    I have to say that I am happy with this summer and the low temperatures.
    I wish you a nice weekend.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents