Channel Birding...
And...SEE NOTE below!


This past week, before the cold snap moved in across the coast, I took a jaunt, crossing the mudflats, on the back side of Packery Channel where it's a quiet area and I can usually see some plovers. This time thru I wasn't disappointed. Yet, very few birds other than the usual, gulls, ibis, egrets were aplenty. In fact around the curve, a whole group of gulls were lazily sunning on the shore, then a huge ruckus and off they flew! I was too far away from them for it being ME that disturbed them, so I looked upwards and saw the reason....a harrier flyover. No worries, the gulls came back and rested some more.

Here are a few of the birds I saw on the back side of the bay...


BLACK BELLIED PLOVER[winter plumage]
Habitat map: Plover


RUDDY TURNSTONE
Habitat map: Turnstone


GREAT TAILED GRACKLE
Habitat map: Grackle


NORTHERN HARRIER
Habitat map: Harrier


OSPREY
Habitat map: Osprey


MARBLED GODWIT
Habitat map: Godwit


[below--always a favorite photo op for me personally, I love the rear view. I tend to think, "what are they thinking?"]

PIPING PLOVER
Habitat map: Plover
 
PLEASE NOTE:  I will be taking next weekend off from setting up any linking tool!  I will be very busy with Thanksgiving and then, getting our house decorated and "set up" for company for the holiday arriving before Christmas!  It will take me about a week to accomplish.  The next linking tool will be set up to link your birds/photos on December 4th at noon!!!


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


New linking will begin on December 4th!

17 comments:

  1. Some beautiful birds you share today, I was glad to see the RUDDY TURNSTONE. I have not seen any this year. and the little PIPING PLOVER, so sweet. :)
    Love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful pictures, Anni, as always. It's funny how birds know exactly who loves them & who doesn't.... or maybe who loves them for their appearance & who loves them for a meal! :-) Take good care getting ready for the holidays. Don't get too wore out, kiddo! ~Andrea xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great selection of birds! My favorite? The Osprey!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Northern Harrier is neat to see and love the tail end of the bird! lol Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your week! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, Anni, you managed to get an exceptional series of pictures. Well done on all counts. I hope that all your plans for thanksgiving and christmas go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome collection as always! Yeah, the rear view is intriguing 🤨

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Godwit is amazing!!! and the little Plover is SO cute!! Great in-flight shot of the Harrier, right down to his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun it would be to see all those birds! And I have not even seen a Northern Harrier yet! I need to make a little detour to one field I almost always see one at. But then I don't pass it but two or three times a year. Yet it would be worth it. I would love to know what changed...I used to see so many of them out at the strip pit area, as well as Canadian geese. Now there is just nothing. I don't see geese flying over at all....not there, not here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots! Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anni,:=) Another wonderful series of birds, and you were quick on the draw so to speak in getting the Harrier fly over. one of my favourite birds to see is the sweet plover, both images are lovely.. I agree about the back side of any bird. Whenever I see a bird, even a hen, :=) looking over the land, or a shore bird looking out to sea I tend to think "I wonder what they are thinking" too!
    Enjoy your Visitors and everything you plan to do before Passover and Christmas. :=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't mind at all if I had such a "humdrum" birding day with all of your usual suspects. Nice shots of the harrier, godwit and plovers. Happy Thanksgiving and have fun decorating. Love that whimsical turkey header (forgot to mention it last week).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful birds Anni! I love the Godwit, Osprey and the Piping Plover. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Thanks for hosting! Have a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your first photo is so realistic i tried to put my fingers in the surf water. I did not know about harriers or if i did forgot it... we have hunting hawks but no other predators in our yard.. have fun on TG and decorating... I know you will....glad you liked your card

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good to see that Marbled Godwit Anni. I'm very unlikely to find one over here as its an extreme rarity - but you never know so one i need to keep in mind when looking through godwit flocks - black-tailed and bar-tailed. Have a good week of prepping for your visitors and the big day - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The PIPING PLOVER looks so cute, dear Anni! Hope you had a fine Thanksgiving and a good decoration-Time, see you next week!
    Happy weekend
    from the new grandma Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/11/mit-tina-und-goga-durch-wien-teil-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely selection of birds, I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents