One day recently I drove to the islands, and ended up at one of my favorite areas along the Coastal Bend...Port Aransas. I didn't stay too long tho, but was amazed at the "white" seen [scene?] on the pond at Leonabelle's Birding Refuge! The water was half covered with the great American White Pelicans. When I see them arriving in our area, I know Winter is nearing. The whole lake was quite active, and so was the walkway just before the boardwalk and the observation tower!! At one point I even took some video of the pelicans. It was, for the most part, the most activity I've seen of that species in a long time. I also sighted in on a couple of rare birds. The LEAST grebe [comparing the pied billed grebe with black eyes---the least grebe has yellow!] and the Palm Warbler. In fact the Palm Warbler is shown commonly to be a bit north and east of where I was at the time. I've seen them years ago, but didn't have my camera at the time, so this is the first photo proof of the warbler for me...
LEAST GREBE
Habitat map: Grebe
PIED BILLED GREBE
Habitat map: Grebe
PALM WARBLER
Habitat map: Warbler
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
Habitat map: Pelican
BLACK NECKED STILT
Habitat map: Stilt
AMERICAN AVOCET
Habitat map: Avocet

Linking tool is now closed
I love the Stilt...such a unique and beautiful bird. We don't see shore birds much where we hike here in Central FL. Love seeing your photos! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThe Stilts are so impressive! and I always thing the Grebes are so cute. So many gorgeous Pelicans, I have never seen a real one. What a great trip this was!
ReplyDeleteThose Pelicans look to be falling out. Maybe they were hungry after that migration? I'm sure that your Least Grebe is the same as our Little Grebe -
ReplyDeleteI need to check. Thanks the link today Anni.
Oh, how I would love to have been there for the pelicans...I so love to see them. As you can guess, I am lucky to get to see them once a year in the spring when they pass through and I see them at the Goose Pond area.
ReplyDeleteSeems like the black and white birds like you have here always look so dressed up! They are all beautiful.
I love those pelicans and you were able to show us their beautiul black markings under the wings. I saw many white pelicans and for a long time had no idea about the black and white hiding. my favorite today is the least Greebe because I always like the ones that are the plainest, like the way i love pelicans... we almost hit a flying egret yesterday with our car, the biggest one i have ever seen. I saw it coming from the side and slowed almost to a stop so it could fly between us and the truck in front of us. left me breathless
ReplyDeleteAnni, I'll make comment Tomorrow, soon anyway.
ReplyDeleteAll Great shots! Your first shot of Palm Warbler is excellent.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos of the water birds!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni I have been suffering with watery and blurred vision, It's difficult to see clearly. Must be a side affect of my new meds, or just simply eye stain. I'll be brief. I think the Stilts are delicate and beautical birds. I'm glad you found a spot with so much activity.
ReplyDeleteLeast Grebe is a great find. I have seen it twice in south texas and each time considered myself lucky.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing gathering of pelicans. I have seen the Least Grebe only a couple of times, many years ago in the Rio Grande Valley.
ReplyDeleteAnni, your blog never ceases to be sheer eye candy!! And I love your birding lessons too. I learn so much! Thank you for taking the time to post your entries. I really look forward to them! ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteYour photo of the Pied Grebe Anni, your photo of the PIED GREBE is an amazing reflection!! I've never seen so many white pelicans all together!
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos, dear Anni!
ReplyDeleteFor me, pelicans are such fascinating animals. They don't exist where I live. When we were in Florida about 20 years ago, I first saw them in the wild - I was lying on my back in the swimming pool and there were 6 or 7 of these giant birds flying over me, a sight like pterosaurs in Jurassic Park. It was a wonderful, adventurous feeling :-) A few years later we saw pelicans again in California, and again the same WOW, the same palpitations ...
Today I only have a teaser collage with some wild geese for you, I will post the actual blog post about our birdwatching tour another time.
All the best from Austria and a happy new week!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/11/baby-vorfreude-und-herbst-genuss.html
Watching Pelicans is such an experience, Anni. I could watch them dive and fish forever!!...jp
ReplyDeleteAll lovely to see, I especially liked the American White Pelican collection.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Hi Anni, beautiful photos. Have a nice weekend! Greetings Caroline
ReplyDelete