Ranch Birding...


Recently I took a drive through the ranch land southwest of Corpus Christi. Chapman Ranch to be exact...between my home and Kingsville, Texas. Here there are cotton fields, oil fields, cattle ranches, sorghum farms and wind farms. From season to season, the landscape continually changes and so do the different species of birds at times.  It's always a fair chance of seeing something different.  Early in the morning hours, the area is abundant most times with raptors and birds that frequent crops and open pastures. Occasionally a Burrowing Owl may be spotted, but even tho other birders have reported seeing them, I haven't this Spring. Maybe if I keep going to the area, I might get lucky. It's all about timing. I did happen to see a Crested Caracara couple courting [the male was carrying nesting material while taking a "come hither" stance and chortling to his mate]. Then, while all this was going on, and the female wasn't all that impressed, a juvenile Caracara flew in to break up the romance! If there was any. :-) Off another county road several Whimbrels were in the ditches flying off in front of the car. ...the Whimbrel has a dark eye line.  Whimbrels usually flock and migrate in groups during the early Spring/late winter months. With my experiences, the curlews, which are similar, are not much seen in large flocks; loners or VERY few in one area. Now, when it comes to getting an ID for the field sparrows, that's a whole 'nother story for me [see below]. Oh, and juvenile hawks. They both continue to be a challenge and more times than none, I'm wrong.  Thanks to Ken, last week, when he helped me with the hawk ID.

After the dense fog lifted [I posted the fiery sunrise, ranchland and fog photos HERE], as the sun appeared to the east, I spotted some birds busying with finding their catch of the day; their breakfast.  I'll share a few:



YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER [Myrtle]
Habitat map: Warbler


MEADOWLARK [eastern with lack of yellow farther on the cheek]
Habitat map: Meadowlark


RED-TAILED HAWK [when it flew the red tail was visible]
Habitat map: Hawk



WHIMBREL?
Habitat map: Whimbrel


SAVANNAH SPARROW? BAIRD'S SPARROW?
[Id help is appreciated!]
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Linking tool is now closed!

20 comments:

  1. the Whimbrel is the most interesting for me today. It looks so much like a Curlew! Of course, I have never seen one. the Meadowlark looks nervous, maybe he spotted you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great Anni. That little Medowlark is my favorite this week, he's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird that looks like a Whimbrel sure is gorgeous! We saw our first Meadowlark this week.....since last year. It sure is fun to see something different and I always need help with IDs. It's neat to see what others think. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely birds all of them but the YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER is a really beautiful one. I found a video. It has a sweet song too :) And a yellow mark on the head like a kinglet :)
    I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anni, I just learned about The Great Backyard Bird Count, a global event, and wondered if you knew about it. Go to https://www.birdcount.org/ to check it out and share all your awesome adventures with birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am most impressed by the YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely bird captures. I specially like the Hawk. It's eyes look so sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 100% for Whimbrel Anni. We get them any day soon with their "secen whistles" and that broad stripe above the eye there's no mistaking them. Size also as they are a lot smaller than our curlew. I always find owls are easier to find early morning - and i mean early! Have a good sunday and thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni,
    Great bird sightings. I love both the Whimbrel and the Meadowlark is beautiful. Great photos and outing. Thanks for hosting. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would go with whimbrel, but let me do a little more work on the sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would opt for Savannah Sparrow. I am not familiar with Baird's Sparrow, but based on the reference books I have this does not seem to fit Baird's Sparrow. in regard to its winter distribution in texas, it (Baird's Sparrow) is found "N-C Texas (scarce and local west of the 96th meridian; casual east of there to the upper gulf coast." The Sparrows of the United States and Canada, Rising and Beadle (1996). savannah sparrow on the other hand is a widespread winter resident. This is my best conclusion based on one photograph, but I am not 100% sure!

      Delete
  11. Nice trip report. I especially loved the Red-tail portrait and the Whimbrel. Woold not hazard a guess as to the sparrow ID. Never have seen a Baird's. I did tour King Ranch once. It is unbelievably huge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful.photos...I am no help with ID, but I sure enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not remember even hearing the name Whimbrel and have never seen one. he is a handsome bird. as always each bird is perfection. now we need to know, did you use the old bkurry camera or the new one since these are all awesome shots

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Annie,
    I can't help you with the ID, but I appreciate the beautiful bird photos you show. Great shots, so close and so special. Sorry that I almost always only see relatively ordinary or distant birds - this time I brought you a flock of birds (probably starlings) over a Tuscan vineyard and a cheeky pigeon from Italy...
    Happy new week, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/02/italien-reisebericht-relax-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always see the most beautiful birds! I'm glad there are people who can help you with the id, doing good just to id the common backyard birds around here. The meadowlark is so pretty. hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Anni, :=) splendid sightings and beautiful birds and photos . I especially like the Meadow lark and the yellow-rumped warbler.. and also the whimbrel is quite special.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cotton fields, oil fields, and cattle ranches.... *exactly* what I think of when I think of Texas! Oh and of course YOU! Beautiful pictures this time too, Anni! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photographs, I particularly like the yellow rumped warbler and the meadow lark.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents