After two years of COVID, the annual Celebration of Flight in Calallen, Texas [Hazel Bazemore Park] was non-existent. This year, on the last weekend of September, the Hawkwatch finally held the event. I attended a few short hours on Sunday, the 25th. I must admit, it was not disappointing, but it WAS the same ol' same ol' program itinerary! I do wish they'd give a change of venue!!!
Again, the morning was humid and hot. I got there early to walk the park and then follow the show. By the time I finished my walk around the trails and 'hot spots' for birds, I was drenched in sweat and in need of water. So, I cut my visit short; short of watching the show itself, yet still visiting the Sky King's Falconry "staff"....the birds exibition...


APLOMADO FALCON
Habitat map: Falcon


KOOKABURRA
Habitat map: Kookaburra [australian]


HARRIS HAWK
Habitat map: Hawk


GREAT HORNED OWL
Habitat map: Owl

PIED CROW [white collared crow]
Habitat map: Crow [africa]

Linking Tool is now closed
What an extravagant header! The birds of prey portraits are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThe Great horned Owl is my favorite but you sure saw some beauties. I like your new Oct banner too! Happy Fall!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. I'm looking for the correct word to describe the new header. Perhaps "fantastical" I hope your weather improves to something s little cooler..
ReplyDeleteI can't think of anyone who wouldn't want to start birding after seeing your header!
ReplyDeleteLove both bird shots! Great colour rendition too
ReplyDeleteWonderful header illustration! Nice bird pics too.
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni. I'm first time here. You have lovely gallery. Thank you for hosting I'd rather b birdin' :0)
ReplyDeleteHello Anni :=)
ReplyDeleteOH, what a great gallery of the beautiful birds of prey. Your shots are fabulous. Great timing to get the open-mouthed capture of the Harris Halk, and the Pied Crow looks so dignified in that last shot. It's a shame about the Kookaburra's broken beak, but it looks healthy enough. It's another great looking bird. You really suffered with the heat, for the love of your passion, so thank you, I appreciate your beautiful photography, we all do! Thank you for hosting
PS
Your Autmn header is beautiful. Do "fairy witches" exist in mystical stories, because that is what the lovely girl looks like. The three Kingfishers do for sure, and they add even more
beauty to the illustration. Good choice for this time of year.
Absolutely gorgeous pictures as always, Anni! I'm glad you got the chance to go. Perhaps you should "whisper in someone's ear" about switching things up for next year. I hate it when heat kind of ruins events like that. I can NOT do heat...I feel light-headed & awful. So that leaves me out of doing a lot of things outside when it's that hot. ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteReallly awesome photos!
ReplyDeleteSpectacular photos .....I felt like turning up the volume I'd hear them vocalizing.
ReplyDeleteBoy did my (backyard) fowls vocalize foul words when I took in their feeders before Ian below into Raleigh with 30mph winds and gust of 50 mph on Friday.
Hugs Cecilia
The link I shared is to a post that I posted a couple of years ago, but I immediately thought of it as I was reading your post. Raptors are such amazing birds and your photographs are beautiful! I saw a harris hawk once in the wild. They're not normally found here in southwest Missouri, but there was one and it was verified by a friend who works for the Missouri Department of Conservatoin. It was an awesome find to be sure! Enjoyed yoru post! Happy Birding! :)
ReplyDeleteExcellent photos Anni, I like them. Have a nice weekend !
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful photographs :)
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan