Okay...it's March again. You know what that means here on our beaches, right? Stay away!! And I always get a hankering to go and do some March birding there. Figures! Traffic Jams, College Students, crowds, Drunken drivers...and added this year, some road and bridge construction. Nope, nope, not gonna go there!! But, I did make sure I headed to the islands this past Sunday...before the month of March made its entrance! LOL Big mistake tho for my timing. The areas I stopped at were packed with more humans than birds it seemed. I walked the newly opened South Trail [damaged heavily during the Hurricane]. Nice! Then I opted to see if I could find the Whooping Cranes before they left for the North climes and breeding. This year, the two that were here last year returned....but with TWO juveniles instead of one. When I finally spotted them, they were at such a long distance, even my zoom lens wasn't powerful enough to get close-ups. Oh well, I can make record of their sighting. And I did take some photos that I will share in a post or two in the future.
Before Sunday, I drove to Calallen, Texas and stopped by one of my favorite parks for birding...along the river. And from the Hawk Platform I saw many different species. As I drove through the 'gate' to enter the park, a hawk was atop a power pole. I pulled off, got out, and got some photos all the while listening to one lone bird singing across the road. Not too many on the ponds other than a few ducks and some stilts. As I said, the platform was "the" place to be...








Top to Bottom [with habitat map links]
I sighted on others also, vultures [both black and turkey]

Linking tool is now closed, come back Saturday at noon [CST] for a new widget display
That Green Jay is one of the most beautiful birds! I would love to see one of those! I'll have to check and see if there have ever been any sightings here! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteWe are lucky you and I to live near beaches aren't we! These are some amazing photos you captured. I think you're smart to stay away from the crowds and the drunk drivers. Enjoy your beautiful home. See you soon! And thanks for hosting
ReplyDeleteThese birds are outstanding! I stay away from coasts and beaches all year round. Only occasionally for astrophotography after dark. The traffic is just a nightmare everywhere I go
ReplyDeleteThese are all wonderful birds, dear Anni - but OMG, this Green Jay has AMAZING colours, what a handsome fellow! ❤️ You see me very excited!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful weekend & happy March days!
❤️ Traude❤️
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/03/streifzug-durch-die-letzten-wochen.html
PS: When will you be able to go to the beaches again WITHOUT traffic jams, college students, crowds, etc.?
You are so knowledgeable about birding!! I just bought a book about songbirds of North American and it includes a CD of their songs. Louis Dean and I are going to have fun with that!
ReplyDeleteAll the bird photos are exquisite. The Green Jay is a lovely bird.
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased you found a place of safety Anni. I feel your pain when there are too many plebs in birding spots. Too many people on a small World. Thanks for the Green Jay especially. And for the link today.
ReplyDeleteOur red tail hawks have disappeared for the past few weeks but we have to Cooper hawks and they’re fun to watch as long as they’re not an active killing birds I know they have to do it but I don’t want to watch it! We’re going through the same thing here and have been going through it says November but it did get worse with spring break. I try not to go anywhere I don’t have to go until all this stuff calms down maybe by mid April we will get back to our normal traffic
ReplyDeleteThose Green Jays are spectacular. While we lived in Florida, it was our habit to spend spring break with our daughter's family in condos along the Gulf Coast. South Padre and Mustang Island area were favorite stops. After 18 years in Florida we feel settled in Connecticut in their household and probably will not be traveling any time soon.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni :=)
ReplyDeleteThe Long. billed Thrasher is a beautiful bird, and you saw some spectacular birds on your walk. The Green Jay stands out because of it's amazing colourful plumage. What beautiful captures you took. Lovely post, and many thanks for hosting.
Sorry to be a little late coming to the party this weekend but we were away birding in Algonquin Provincial Park. It was glorious, as are your pictures of these iconic south Texas birds.
ReplyDeleteAnni the green Jays are absolutely out of this world beautiful, I have never seen one WOW they look exotic
ReplyDeleteDon't even get me started on the brown head cow birds/pigs. Geez I know every bird had to eat but they are a gluten.
Hugs cecilia
I have never seen a Green Jay before, such a striking bird, beautiful coloring. We have the Grey-Tufted Titmouse here, woodpeckers too but the Golden Fronted Woodpecker is new to me, and the Long-Billed Thrasher is new to me also, though I see it has similarities to our Brown Thrasher. The Brown Headed Cowbird we get. I have Id'd our Cooper's Hawk and Sharp Shinned Hawk thanks to blogging friends like yourself.
ReplyDeleteIf we get the Red-Tailed Hawk, I wouldn't have noticed a difference probably. I'm still learning. Great photos Anni! Thanks for introducing me to these special birds. Enjoy the rest of your week.
That Green Jay does not look real! It is gorgeous...but then so are the others. Just in a quieter way.
ReplyDelete