...breeding colors that is! [And seasonal beak growth on white pelican - Pelicans of both sexes develop a bump in breeding season, and it's not on their bellies. The lump forms on top of the bird's beak, and falls off after the birds have mated and laid eggs. Its function is not entirely known, but is thought to be a display of fertility.]
Oh my word Anni! What outstanding images. Absolutely fabulous, all of them. The Tri-coloured Heron is beautiful, and the colourful White Ibis and Reddish Egret captured with their beaks open was nicely timed. Lovely shot of the pair of Cattle Egrets, and I see the bump on the beak of the White Pelican, what a strange occurrence, it also has a great hair do! The dainty American Avocet is adorable, and the Roseate Spoonbill in it's bright orange breeding plumage is very attractive indeed. The Brown Pelican's black and white feather pattern is also attractive. Wonderful post, and thank you so much for hosting. Happy Easter to you and your loved ones.
Hello Anni, Wonderful birds, the Pelican is one of my favorites. The Spoonbill is awesome too. They are all beautiful birds and photos. Thanks for hosting. Happy Easter, enjoy your weekend.
An outstanding gallery of breeding birds, Anni. They are all handsome and no doubt irresistible to members of the opposite sex! Soon there will be babies.
love the blue but also LOVE all of these, your bird photos are always so sharp and clear, like I can stroke the feathers. Big Suprise on MadSnapper tomorrow that you will LOVE
Annie, about the barred owl. there are no words to explain my feeling when we watched him for about 20 minutes. after I took the photos he moved up into the branches, the ones you can hardly see him and stayed there for maybe half an hour. thrilling to the point I had hairs standing up on my arms. each time he turned his head to stare in my eyes, i had chills again.. he is out there in the night at 1:30, i have heard him and in the early am, but have never seen him. and the fact it was mid day on a bright sunny day was extraordinary.
They look very pretty in their breeding robes, dear Anni - the Roseate Spoonbill is particularly impressive! Among other things, I have also a brown pelican for you today, although probably not in breeding colors, but still pretty. I'm a little late: thanks for hosting and Happy Easter 🐣🐰🪺! All the best from Austria, Traude https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/costa-rica-10-kapitel-samara-delfine.html
Nothing beats the breeding plumage of these winged wonders.
We recently saw the Pied Avocet. It will be homeward bound soon including the Red headed Buntings. I shall be sharing the images in the next post. This week I have a few others like the Fly catcher, Coppersmith Barbet, a Peacock, and few other critters too, like an Easter Bunny. :)
What a wonderful subject! Plus I learned something. Super photos as well! My favorite beak is the Heron's blue one.
ReplyDeleteYes, lots of color today. I too was drawn to the bright blue breeding color of the Tricolord's beak. Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteWe're seeing the breeding colors and ruffled plumage here too. I love the bright colors in your photos! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteOh my word Anni! What outstanding images. Absolutely fabulous, all of them. The Tri-coloured Heron is beautiful, and the colourful White Ibis and Reddish Egret captured with their beaks open was nicely timed. Lovely shot of the pair of Cattle Egrets, and I see the bump on the beak of the White Pelican, what a strange occurrence, it also has a great hair do! The dainty American Avocet is adorable, and the Roseate Spoonbill in it's bright orange breeding plumage is very attractive indeed. The Brown Pelican's black and white feather pattern is also attractive. Wonderful post, and thank you so much for hosting.
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter to you and your loved ones.
Hello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWonderful birds, the Pelican is one of my favorites. The Spoonbill is awesome too. They are all beautiful birds and photos. Thanks for hosting. Happy Easter, enjoy your weekend.
An outstanding gallery of breeding birds, Anni. They are all handsome and no doubt irresistible to members of the opposite sex! Soon there will be babies.
ReplyDeleteA fantastic gallery of birds beautifully captured on camera.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are glorious!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lovely colourful birds Anni. I hope you're having a wonderful day. And thanks for the link today.
ReplyDeletelove the blue but also LOVE all of these, your bird photos are always so sharp and clear, like I can stroke the feathers. Big Suprise on MadSnapper tomorrow that you will LOVE
ReplyDeleteAnnie, about the barred owl. there are no words to explain my feeling when we watched him for about 20 minutes. after I took the photos he moved up into the branches, the ones you can hardly see him and stayed there for maybe half an hour. thrilling to the point I had hairs standing up on my arms. each time he turned his head to stare in my eyes, i had chills again..
ReplyDeletehe is out there in the night at 1:30, i have heard him and in the early am, but have never seen him. and the fact it was mid day on a bright sunny day was extraordinary.
They look very pretty in their breeding robes, dear Anni - the Roseate Spoonbill is particularly impressive!
ReplyDeleteAmong other things, I have also a brown pelican for you today, although probably not in breeding colors, but still pretty.
I'm a little late: thanks for hosting and
Happy Easter 🐣🐰🪺!
All the best from Austria, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/costa-rica-10-kapitel-samara-delfine.html
Nothing beats the breeding plumage of these winged wonders.
ReplyDeleteWe recently saw the Pied Avocet. It will be homeward bound soon including the Red headed Buntings.
I shall be sharing the images in the next post. This week I have a few others like the Fly catcher, Coppersmith Barbet, a Peacock, and few other critters too, like an Easter Bunny. :)
Thank you for hosting.
They are so colourful, fabulous photographs.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan