All I can say is "Be careful what you wish for!!" As Bud and I readied to go for our birding walks on the islands, I said to him, "I hope we see something different today!" He just smiled. Knowing all too well, that migrating hasn't begun yet, and my hopes in seeing something other than the native, resident, year-round birds was pretty close to nil. Well, let me begin by saying....I DID see something different! We ended up at a favorite area I like for seeing a multitude of bird species. Altho, the past month it's been dry with no rain in sight, and the water holes are drying up, we are still fortunate for the many birds that grace our shores. Bud stayed behind this time since it was so darned hot out in the full sun. He stayed behind, at the shaded area of the cotillion and near the pond frequented these past few weeks with barn swallows raising their young. I enjoyed my walk, but was getting very hot, so I decided to cut the trail by half and turn around to go back and travel to another area by car.
Returning, getting close to the cotillion, on the last trek of the trail, I was looking to my left, to my right...in search of bird life in the bush and remaining prairie grass. Minding my own business, enjoying the quiet solitude. I wasn't paying much attention when I glanced in front of me...about 20 feet away [some 6 meters], on the gravel path....a big o' fat snake. I stopped dead in my tracks!!!! Taking photos of course. At first, with the sunlight playing tricks on me, I thought the tail was 'too pointed' to be a rattlesnake I HATE SNAKES!!! Then....as it crawled into the grasses...through the binocular lenses, I could see the pitted shape of the head.
A DIAMONDBACK RATTLESNAKE!! [western diamondback since it had black and white rings on the tail before the rattlers] Once the path was 'cleared' of the viper, I waited for a few more minutes, then I walked past the area without getting bitten. I count my lucky stars.
I learned my lesson. I'll be more specific next time I make a wish. "I hope we see different... BIRDS!!!"



- - -
Now that that is out of the way [both in photos and mind - partially -], I'll get to the common birds found again this past week. Lately, birding has been like a re-run on TV. Same birds mostly:
The most abundant this particular day were the stilts again. And what a ruckus they made for my intruding their domain!! And their antics were quite fun to record on camera!! Here is one in particular that seemed to be focusing on me and trying to steer me away from its territory. First on the agenda was the loud calling of warnings
then, landing a good distance from where I stood, a dance routine begins. Fluttering of the wings and swiftly moving back and forth.---

...after the fluttering of rapid wingbeats, it would toil to lay down all the while still chattering loudly...

For an instant it would become silent, only to begin the flyover and yap yap yap routine again, and again.



Later, as I continued my walk, high above a single Magnificent Frigatebird did a flyover...



Another one I noticed was a favorite egret of mine...the Reddish Egret in dark morph in what little water remains:

With the sun glaring down on me in the open fields, I decided, before I got too hot and miserable, it was time to turn around and head back to Bud and hop in the car to drive to another favorite area. Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge. Turning the corner to peruse the marsh and reed waterway with our binoculars, we were greeted by a 1st summer Orchard Oriole...


Getting to the more open area Coots, cormorants, terns, egrets, spoonbills, grackles, stilts, frigatebirds [3...one adult female and two juveniles], moorhens [common gallinules], the ever-present mockingbirds, and a couple species of sandpipers and killdeer were spotted. I saw one lone teen-aged American Coot:

and a calling of an adult coot in the tall reed along the boardwalk ---then, a faint cry of a baby chick. I waited patiently in hopes of it introducing itself to the world from the hidden protection of the water grasses:


BLACK NECKED STILT TRIVIA: Of the long legged birds of America, the stilt is 2nd in body and leg proportions...that of the Flamingo has the longest.
Now share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Wow,Anni, the rattlesnake was a cool sighting. I am glad you were safe though. Great captures of the Stilts, Reddish Egret is a beauty and I love the Orchard Oriole.Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteWow again! A real live rattlesnake, an animal I used to admire on those b&w films until the cowboy pulled out his six gun and shot it.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of the stilts Anni. Yes they are noisy birds and from that behaviour I'm wondering if that one individual had youngsters hidden nearby?
Stay out of that midday sun and take it easy my friend.
Your coot chicks are just as ugly/cute as ours, but I think your rattle snake is a bit more worrying than our grass snakes.
ReplyDeleteMy heart was in my mouth worrying about what went awry meant because I knew it was a snake.
ReplyDeleteAnd I've heard of having the legs knocked out from under you. The Stilt looks like that applies to its stilts too.
These are wonderful pictures, Anni ! I do not like snakes and I am glad that you were safe !
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend !
um, you can keep those rattlers, thanks! i'm grateful we just have copperheads and moccasins to contend with here!
ReplyDeleteThe Stilt's cute pink legs seem awkwardly long, and its wounded draw-the-interloper-away display is quite comical. I'm glad you didn't have a more threatening encounter with the snake. I'm relieved to live somewhere with no poisonous snakes after too many close encounters with rattlesnakes in San Diego. Though the really harmful encounters were with Black Widow Spiders.
ReplyDeleteWe have a lot of snakes here in FL and I hate to see them. We had a 'good' snake in our yard this week...a black snake. I hope he ate a lot of bugs. You got some neat pics of the stilts. How unusual they are! I'm linking this week! Thanks for the party. Sweet hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteWow Anni, I had no idea the Stilt would do that behavior trying to keep their nest safe. Fascinating, almost like the little killdeer! A great series. I like your regular birds a whole lot ... Not so much the "something new" of course, but I do love that you got pictures and didn't run away screaming like a girl;)))! (I wouldn't have either, tho I probably wouldn't have gotten such good pictures. )
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting as always, sorry to be so late. Family stuff today, yay.
glad you got a photo of the snake adn kept out of its way. Yes I agree with Phil that the Stilt would have had either a nest or young nearby as that is what they do then. All your other bird shots are marvellous.
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni; Oh My!!! Yes, I also fascinated by the pictures you captured trying to keep their nest safe♬♬♬ And the the Reddish Egret made me wish more egret (or heron) species in my area. (haha, I saw the green one in Eileen's post)
ReplyDeleteI couldn't understand the part of your title "~ gone awry!" p:-) What an encounter!!!
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
Quite a snake (pardon my mentioning it)! So far I have not seen a rattlesnake here in my south Florida neighborhood. In New Mexico they are smaller. I had one in our yard and first thought its high-pitched rattle (more like a buzz) was some kind of insect such as a bee or wasp . Happily, as I moved closer to the brush patch to see the insect my mind switched to the possibility that this was just too loud to be an insect, and I quickly changed tactics. Sure enough, it was a rattler, only about 20 inches long. We did see a huge western diamondback at Laguna Atascosa. Like yourd, it was just sitting in the dirt road.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you finally looked down and saw that snake! I HATE snakes! Even the non-poisonous kind. Yes, next time be more specific in your wishing. :)
ReplyDeleteI love spotting snakes. Boy, there's no doubt that's a rattler!
ReplyDeleteAnni, glad you looked down in time. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThose stilts are such cute birds, loved all the photos of these interesting birds and the close-up of the rattlesnake's tail is amazing. Have a great week Anni and thanks for hosting :)
ReplyDeleteWhoa, Anni! Be extra careful out there. I often forget about the snakes, so I should talk. I'm glad you made it out of there safely.
ReplyDeleteThe Stilts, Frigatebird, and Orchard Oriole are birds I would love to see every day. You photos of the Angry/Annoyed Stilt are superb! Thank you for sharing your birding adventures and photos, and for hosting the meme. :)
Oh Anni, you are so fortunate, blessed, lucky and any other good words to describe. I will tell a story on my next blog post this Friday about a snake and me that took place last week ;)
ReplyDeleteI have been very busy so far since this weekend, so I am JUST NOW reading your post and commenting! I did link in, and plan to visit everyone today, but I'm lagging terribly this time with my memes and visits. First, let me say, that Rattler would have rattled me! I thought about that as I walked through the Audobon Reserve, my eyes UP, looking for birds...what if I came upon a rattler! I haven't seen any since we moved here, but that doesn't mean they aren't here! I'm so glad you noticed that one before you got too close. You got some great photos! Also, I love that stilt...it's dance of different "poses" (and song) was delightful! The oriole was so beautiful, and you have to always love the coots!
ReplyDeleteBTW I ordered Wesley the Owl from Abebooks! :-) I'm sorry Ghost Birds tends to be pricey even used. Wish I could find a less expensive source. I tend to always try to spend less than $12. on any given book ( with free shipping), and love it when I can get them for $2. or $3. I ordered a signed copy directly from Bales and paid full price for it though. It was a rare buy for me.
Holy spokes - that was a close call, I say.
ReplyDeleteYour photos of the Frigatebird and other species are very beautiful.
Glad you didn't bite the snake :)
Have a Great Week!
Peace :)
I like snakes but a rattlesnake. Not sure about that.
ReplyDeleteThe stilt probably pretended to be injured so you should get you attention away from the nest. I have seen different kind of birds doing that. When you are away they quickly "heal". :)
The Stilts are lovely, but I have to say, that rattle snake is really quite special. I'm glad I'm this side of the screen though. Pheww.
ReplyDeleteReally great collection of sightings, especially the black-necked stilt. That's a thick rattlesnake for sure!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about snakes but I gotta say! That's a cool find. They are cool critters:) Loving your collection of birds like that Magnificent Frigatebird, I but I hope you keep finding lots of wonderful different things. Good stuff!
ReplyDelete