The American Birding Association's Bird of the Year for 2016....drum roll please!!!
Chestnut Collared Longspur
I only managed to get two photos before it disappeared into the brush...


PYRRHULOXIA -female [the MALE has a bright, red, dappled breast]
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture North - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Pyrrhuloxia
With the rainy, gray day, not many birds showed activity!! Other birds seen that day -

WHITE FACED IBIS - ROSEATE SPOONBILL
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Ibis - Spoonbill

GREEN WINGED TEAL [female] - TRI-COLORED HERON
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Teal - Heron

GREAT EGRET
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat map: Egret

MYRTLE WARBLER - BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Warbler - Heron

WHITE PELICANS - LESSER YELLOWLEGS
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Pelicans - Yellowlegs
Now share your birding experiences:
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Only one day into the new year, and I sighted a 'new' bird! At least new since our decade living in Arizona. Along the Sonoran Desert landscape of USA's Southwestern states and our travels through Old Mexico, this bird was spotted just about everywhere we went...even our Tucson back yard. But in the last eleven years, this is the 'first' I've seen one here in Texas. With my luck, it was on an overcast, dreary, gray day, with no good lighting for photos; not to mention a far distance from the trail I was traversing. The bird I sighted is closely related to the Northern Cardinal of North America. Yet, there are distinguishing markings, colors, and shapes that separate them from the cardinal. First, the beak. With cardinals, the beaks of both genders are red/pink. The cardinal has dark to black throats and around the eye. And the crest is all red. Tho, never mentioned in guide books, I've seen a difference in leg color also...the cardinal is more deep pink to charcoal [as seen here] while the bird I spotted on New Year's Day had pale gray legs, the color of the over-all body. So, the difference in the Northern Cardinal and the bird I spotted a fleeting moment before it flew off is this: Yellow, dingy, beak. Higher, longer crest tipped in red. No black on the face. And MUCH grayer over-all. Oftentimes it's dubbed the Mexican Cardinal. The bird: PYRRHULOXIA. [pronounced peer uh LOX ee-ah]
I only managed to get two photos before it disappeared into the brush...


PYRRHULOXIA -female [the MALE has a bright, red, dappled breast]
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture North - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Pyrrhuloxia
With the rainy, gray day, not many birds showed activity!! Other birds seen that day -

WHITE FACED IBIS - ROSEATE SPOONBILL
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Ibis - Spoonbill

GREEN WINGED TEAL [female] - TRI-COLORED HERON
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Teal - Heron

GREAT EGRET
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat map: Egret

MYRTLE WARBLER - BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Warbler - Heron

WHITE PELICANS - LESSER YELLOWLEGS
photos taken: Mustang Island
habitat maps: Pelicans - Yellowlegs
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
That is one neat bird which I never learned to spell properly. As a kid in New Jersey I longed to see one some day. Got my first good sighting in New Mexico. Beautiful collection of water birds (plus the butter-butt)!
ReplyDeleteIt is a challenge, spelling!!
DeleteThanks for linking up Ken.
Beautiful photos, Anni!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and gorgeous photos !!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend !
thanks Ela
DeleteIt's always great to have a new bird for your lens. You were lucky to see this bird. Congratulations that you can attach it again on your list.
ReplyDeleteGreetings, Helma
it's been a long, long time since I've seen one of those pyrrhuloxias!! Thanks Helma
DeleteHi Anni. Thanks for the information about the Pyrrhuloxia. The Mexican Cardinal is a great alternative name and I'm especially grateful for your advice of how to pronounce the word.
ReplyDeleteThanks for allowing me to join in today. I hope our both of our weather systems improve soon but in any case we're off to sunny Spain for a holiday next week.
I'll be thinking of you in sunny Spain!!!
DeleteBeautiful collection of images. Thanks for another year of hosting! I just love the bright teal on that duck.
ReplyDeleteThank YOU!!!
DeleteHi Anni, great variety of birds and photos. I was happy to see my first Pyrrhuloxia during my New Mexico trip a few years ago, it is a pretty bird. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteLove the herons and the white egret!
ReplyDelete...me too Marleen, thanks!
DeleteAnni, As alwaus thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDelete...thanks for hosting
DeleteYou take such amazing photos. It's great to live in a place where you see a lot of birds along migratory routes. We are seeing so many different birds here in Florida right now. Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteWe along the coast have an advantage over some...and as you say, the migratory route is a big plus!!! Thanks Diane
DeleteFantastic images you've shown us. Anni, you are brilliant.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Bob
DeleteWonderful to spot the Pyrrhuloxia, and thanks for the pronunciation help!
ReplyDelete....it's the spelling of this bird that is a puzzler for me. lol
DeleteThanks Lea
Nice bird - always good to catch up with an old friend!
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Indeed!! Thanks for the visit Stewart. I know how busy you are. And to take the time from your day to come here is much appreciated.
DeleteHello, and belated Happy New Year 2016 to you, Dearest Anni;
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your first sighting of the bird in your state and verifying is always nagging work for me p:-) Great correction of birds as always; I LOVE the flying pelicans very much, my favorite♡♡♡
ps; Before sleeping from now, I'll post about the bird which we could see them do the trick in Japan (not now though). I thought you might have fun watching the you-tube videos I pasted :-)
Night Night, Dear friend;
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
I hope you had a restful sleep my friend!!! And as always I appreciate your visits AND sharing your links.
DeleteHello Annie!:) Glad you were able to add another bird to your long list of firsts, and inspite of the grey day you got some amazing shots of all the birds.
ReplyDeleteHave a great Sunday!:)
Thanks!!! I'm always excited to 'find' a new one.
DeleteYay! You found one in Texas! Too cool! Great shorebird shots too!
ReplyDeleteYes, I did find one...and first person I thought of was YOU!! :-)
DeleteCongrats, Anni! I have never even heard of a PYRRHULOXIA before!
ReplyDelete~
Growing up in Colorado and raising family there for over 40 years, I hadn't heard of them either. 'Til AZ.
DeleteAnni, great find. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank YOU!!
DeleteIt's been so terrible, with rain, for photos. Yours are amazing!
ReplyDelete....thanks Jennifer
Deletehoping you have lots of birding times in 2016!
ReplyDelete...thanks, and I hope to see some birding of yours when you get a chance. I know you're busy.
DeleteNice pictures for a gray day! I don't think I've ever seen a Mexican cardinal.
ReplyDeleteIt's more or less just a desert dweller. Thanks Linda
DeleteHi again Dearest Anni; I've put second link (^^;) If it is not appropriate, please delete it. Haha, I must have really excited what I found♪
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
And thank you so much for your kind comments♪
DeleteI'm sure you're excited as I would be the same.
Delete...and you're welcome. You're a delight my friend.
DeleteA lovely series of birds Anni. I enjoyed seeing the ones that are new to me, like the Pyrrhuloxia. I had a bird to share with you this week, though I am a little late because of computer problems. Have a great week :)
ReplyDeleteOh and the booby you shared was worth the 'delay' in your sharing!! Wow. Glad your computer problems have been fixed.
DeleteThe Pyrrhuloxia does look so much like a drab Cardinal, but cute in form. I felt like I was seeing a rare bird in San Diego when Phainopeplas came to eat my mulberries. I wonder how they knew?
ReplyDeleteYes, I understand...those Phaiopeplas are beautiful tho....we had them in AZ.
DeleteAnother beautiful collection, although your Mexican is quite the taker!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteThanks JP
Deletea grey day, still you got so many fine shots :)
ReplyDeleteOur birds are so normal! Not any new ones! I love yours!
ReplyDeletesure exciting to find a new bird. I guess the excitement is same as me finding a good book to read.
ReplyDeletewow...you managed to snap quite clear picture of it