For this week, it's all about water birds seen in the area and on the islands...
One...
This species was reported as being seen for several different days in the recent weeks...but, each time I went there, it was hidden or left only to return after I was no where near. LOL Then, one day as I was watching a few pied billed grebes playing in the water with their aerobic skills, near the reed I spotted the beautiful red-eyed one way in the distance. Actually too far from me to get sharp images, but oh well!! Yes indeed...
EARED GREBE [winter plumage* *]
* * Summer Plumage Seen on this post
* * Summer Plumage Seen on this post
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge
habitat map: Grebe
Two:
This particular egret was on the boardwalk railing at the same refuge. I could've reached out and touched it with my hand!!
GREAT EGRET
photo taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge
habitat map: Egret
Three:
This is one of my favorites of the duck family. The color is magnificent. Tho, again, it didn't cooperate while I was there; not giving me a full frontal view of its beauty...
CINNAMON TEAL
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge
habitat map: Teal
Four:
This next pair was spotted on a trip to Bishop, Texas in hopes of seeing a reported bird I've not had the opportunity to photograph [a black phoebe]. Tho the phoebe was not found, these beautiful birds displayed their 'colors' perfectly...
HOODED MERGANSERS [male with black 'hood']
photos taken: Park - Bishop, Texas
habitat map: Mergansers
Five:
At a local reserve, on the shore of the bay area, an osprey was dining on his breakfast! I watched for some time...listening to it's shrieking call when it felt threatened with other bird [mostly gulls] fly-overs...
OSPREY
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands- Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Osprey
habitat map: Osprey
Six:
As I walked the boardwalk planks to the elevated observation deck at our 'north bay', this one was watching me...
REDDISH EGRET
photo taken: North Bay Area - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Egret
Now share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:











Beautiful assortment of water birds. I especially liked the Hooded Merganser with his crest raised. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeletebeautiful photos
ReplyDeleteSuper selection Anni. I've seen a couple of Eared (Black-necked) Grebe this winter but never close enough for a photo.
ReplyDeleteGreat mix of photos, Anni! I can't believe the Egret didn't take off with you that close. (The ones around here never let me get even within 30 feet or so of them!)
ReplyDeleteWOW! Those are all special sightings.
ReplyDeleteAll beautiful birds, but it is the Hooded Mergansers that really got my attention!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week-end!
Lea
Gorgeous selection of birds in this post. Have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteFabulous pictures! The one of the osprey is stunning.
ReplyDeleteThese are fantastic pictures Anni, love the Cinnamon Teal but all the birds are just gorgeous! The osprey with his catch is pretty amazing. Thanks for hosting and I always love participating when I have something to share. Have a great week :)
ReplyDeleteWe love seeing the wading birds here in Florida...such a variety and many we haven't identified yet. I love the owl in your banner. hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteWhat a great collection, thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteYour birding skills are impressive. Thanks for sharing these great creatures.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and your shots are excellent !!
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday !
Such great photos of beautiful birds, Anni! The gorgeous Hooded Merganser male was also my favourite. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing and have a happy Sunday!
PS I like the general look of your blog very much.
Hello Anni!:)Wonderful selection of water birds, and I'm just amazed you were so close to the Egret,...it's a bird that usually flies away when I get too near. The Hooded Mergansers seem to be the favourite water bird, and I do think they are very pretty ducks,love the females hair do,:) and your shots of the rust coloured Cinnomen Teals show off their lovely plumagem really well. Have a great Sunday!:)
ReplyDeleteYou've shown us a stunning collection of birds today Anni. Me too, I can't believe you managed to get to close to that egret as to almost touch it. You really captured the red eye of the grebe - we know the same species here as Black-necked Grebe although they are pretty scarce.
ReplyDeleteA couple of birds I'd just love to see are Cinnamon Teal and Hooded Merganser. Guess I'll just have to head west.
Enjoy the week ahead in the warmth of Texas - it's raining here again today. Grrr.
Lovely birds! The grebe is very cute and I love the rusty colour of the teal.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, wonderful birds and sightings. The Cinnamon Teal is one of my favorites. Enjoy your day and thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteThose ducks are just so handsome. What a great mix of birds to see.
ReplyDeleteawesome shots! loved the egret!
ReplyDeleteThey are all so beautiful! I was stalking an egret yesterday, but was never able to get a good shot.
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed with the photos - so many birds that I've not seen before. I especially liked the Cinnamon Teal.
ReplyDeleteit is a wonder how beautiful some birds really are. I can´t remember seeing the Cinnamon Teal before. It´s gorgeous :)
ReplyDeletethe grebe are amazing, i have even seen ducks with those characteristics. and the cinnamon teal, i have never seen that one before either. beautiful images!!!
ReplyDeleteI love grebes, any kind,. Once (only) I was able to get a picture of one with baby on her back. Such a thrill. All amazing birds and great memories. The cinnamon teal I have never seen. Thank you so much for hosting!
ReplyDeleteGreat captures. The eyes are so amazing and different on all these birds.
ReplyDeleteNicely captured, Anni. It will be another couple of months before I will be doing much birding. Still rehabing my knee replacement for a few more weeks then a 4 week trip to Europe. Hope to get some birdies there! Hugs to my fellow Texan.
ReplyDeleteWonderful waterbird photos! I had to link in, though I'm not posting anything new this week. Couldn't miss your meme! I enjoyed getting the videos of my backyard birds, drawn in as they are by the hummingbird feeders! I wonder what my yard visitors are going to be like in Oregon...I know I'll miss my year-round hummers, and the cute little verdins! Have a great week! I'm feeling better, but now my husband is sick!
ReplyDeleteThese waterfowl are great to see.
ReplyDeletePicture 8 is really fantastic. This is a duck that I myself have never seen.
Just beautiful!
Cute collection of duckies, Anni!
ReplyDelete~