On Wednesday of this past week, we had a few hours' break in rainfall. I took advantage of it going in search of a rare, vagrant hummingbird that was reported about 20 miles northwest of us in Corpus. Of course it was seen in a private residential area, but I still thought..."Hey, something to do besides sit at home and sulk about the nasty weather". Got there, scouted out the landscape and talked with the property owner, but to no avail. And since the roads were pretty clear of flooding, I left and drove another 15-20 miles to the edge of the hill country of South Texas and pulled over to check out the Great Egret rookery that I visited in early June [when they were building nests on the pond's edge]. Naturally, once I pulled over, it began to rain. First a light mist, then, another downpour. I got a few photos. They are still on my camera's card, and I will get them uploaded to post next Saturday.
Predicted rainfall 12-15 inches [38cm] total by the weekend. Goodie! And we weren't even close to Hurricane Elsa.
In the meantime, I will share these from earlier this summer:
Predicted rainfall 12-15 inches [38cm] total by the weekend. Goodie! And we weren't even close to Hurricane Elsa.
In the meantime, I will share these from earlier this summer:

RUDDY DUCK
Habitat map: Duck

NEOTROPIC CORMORANT
[there are TWO -the one behind the front one has its wings open]
Habitat map: Cormorant

BLACK NECKED STILT
Habitat map: Stilt

PAINTED BUNTING
Habitat map: Bunting

FERAL PIGEON
Habitat map: Pigeon -everywhere

PURPLE MARTIN
Habitat map: Martin

linking is closed...return Saturday for new tool
i saw a high stepping piegon and read neurotic cormarant. ha ha sorry i can't figure out how to right click and make the spell check work on the chromebook. it is what it is
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteThat is a lot of rain, we could use some rain here. It seem to go around us all the time.
the Ruddy Duck is cute and I love the Painted Bunting. The Purple Martins are sweet. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!
I had to do a double take to see both cormorants!
ReplyDeleteI saw that about your weather on the news, and they said there's flooding again too. I sure hope you aren't in a flood zone! My favorite photo is the Painted Bunting, so pretty!
ReplyDeleteThe stilt looks like his knees are backwards! But I'm sure those are really his ankles. The Bunting is fabulous! And the Cormorant is such a trick of the eye.
ReplyDeletehe stilt looks like his knees are backwards! But I'm sure those are really his ankles. The Bunting is fabulous! And the Cormorant is such a trick of the eye.
ReplyDeleteElsa was mind to us on-the east coast of Florida ut dise raise havoc all the way up to NY City. Ery i e images even though you had to save some for next week
ReplyDeleteUnfavorable conditions are so frustrating. I like the Purple Martin image.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame you missed out on the rare hummer Anni. I guess that tiny birds like that are very susceptible to the changing weather you've had lately. "Gotta keep moving"? I hope you don't catch any of Elsa as it sounds like you have enough water for now. Painted Bunting wins it for me again. Stay safe and dry if can.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link Anni.
When I lived in Illinois, I dreamed of seeing a painted bunting. Now I have a male and female who visit often. I don't think I've ever seen a martin, but I see martin houses on a lot of ranches, so they must be around. Beautiful pics as always.
ReplyDeleteHaces unos maravillosos reportajes de aves, me ha gustado mucho tu blog. Saludos desde el norte de España. http://faunacompacta.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete12-15" of rain...HOLY MOOSEPOOPS!!! We just had 3-5" and our rivers are so swollen, I can't imagine 12" and what it would do. Trust me, I am so grateful for what we got and the fact that we got it because we needed it desperately. Anni, I'm concerned about that bird illness that seems to be creeping up to the Northeast...very concerned...jp
ReplyDeleteGood Grief.. we are in a drought up here in Northern Wisconsin. In fact Northern Minnesota has wildfires making our sky all a haze. Send the rain this way please.
ReplyDeleteI had to chuckle at the Feral Pigeon. The Painted Bunting is beautiful.
Anni - have you heard about this in the news? You're one of my "go to" bird people, and this is very troubling news.
ReplyDeleteMysterious Bird Deaths in the Mid-Atlantic [United States] region
Jun. 28, 2021
In late April, scientists and the public noticed something odd about the birds in the mid-Atlantic region — a surprising number were exhibiting strange symptoms, such as crusty eyes or shaking heads. The birds were often sick or dying. Smithsonian scientists need your help to figure out why.
More info at the Smithsonian Institute:
https://nationalzoo.si.edu/migratory-birds/news/mysterious-bird-deaths-mid-atlantic-region