Park Birds...


For most of the summer months, we have experienced drought and extreme heat. The latter part of August, we finally received some beneficial rainfall, but the steam bath is still here! Over the weekend it's predicted to begin with heavy storming and perhaps flooding in the area. It's either feast or famine! Anyway, I took a couple of short drives to a couple of local parks and spotted these [the ducks and stilt seen here are across the street from one of the parks]; in a flooded sorghum field...


CORMORANT
Habitat map: Cormorant


INCA DOVE
Habitat map: Dove


WHITE WINGED DOVE
Habitat map: Dove


RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
Habitat map: Hummingbird



SUMMER TANAGER[?] -Female
Habitat map: Tanager


BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS
Habitat map: Duck



AMERICAN BLACK DUCK
Habitat map: Duck


BLACK NECKED STILT
Habitat map: Stilt


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Linking Tool is now closed

19 comments:

  1. How neat to see the different types of Doves. We mostly see the Mourning Dove here. And I thought about the Summer Tanager this week and hope I see one soon. Love your photos. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Anni,
    Beautiful selection of birds and photos. The Summer Tanager and the Whistling Ducks are favorites. I love the Stilt too. I do not have many birds on my post today, so I am skipping a link today. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bird photos!
    Thanks for hosting!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice captures. I always look forward to what you show. That Summer Tanager is new to me...did not know the female is yellow. I loved the doves and the cormorants of course. For some reason cormorants fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Anni: I hope that the rain will be modest and not cause flooding - especially of the severity that occurred in Dallas recently. The ducks you label as Gadwalls are American Black Ducks - definitely not female Gadwalls or eclipse males.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David...been updated!!

      Delete
    2. PS....David, I went to your bird blog and I got this warning: Trojan! Do not enter.

      Delete
    3. I have no idea what is happening there!

      Delete
    4. Of course, that anonymous above, is me...Anni. I wish Blogger would get its act together. lol

      Just as long as you are aware. Again, it may be something not threatening.

      Delete
  6. love your beautiful shot of the BLACK NECKED STILT :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What stunning photos! The first one is almost like a trick of the eye. It is so artistic and stunning that it really should be hanging in a museum. And you got the hummer with his tongue out!! I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that sweet little beautiful dove. so precious. things like this trojan just make me so mad that people sit out there and send things to strangers. hope he see your post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bird sightings and excellent captures! Hope the weather improves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the rains stay away Anni. We've had our summer of two or three weks and we are back into a typical September. The Summer Tanager is very lovely - the male of the species is not always as good looking as the subtle females. Thanks for the linky, enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice selections of species and photos. I was focusing on bills and see that the Black Ducks all have bright yellow bills, a male trait, usually more subdued in purebreds and some have rose cheek patches, perhaps suggesting possibility of cross-breeding with other duck species as seen so often in the Mottled Duck. Also the bill of the tanager seems more warbler-like as does the suggestion of breast streaks, but it is not short and chubby like the Yellow Warbler. Camera angle and lighting may be playing tricks.. Of course the size of the bird is critical in its ID.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Anni,
    yes, unfortunately, I'm afraid we'll have to get used to these capricious weather conditions. I hope you won't have any problem with storm and flood...
    However: Your bird photos are beautiful! <3
    I have a few stork photos for you today in my summer review. I'll be making a bigger post about this trip soon.
    All the best in September!
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/09/juli-august-2022-teil-1-was-fur-ein.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww! I can't help but think that all the birds in your pictures are so happy with the water to be in, Anni. I've watched on the news how "feast or famine" your weather has been. You come to mind each and every time I see the weather forecast in Texas. Take good care, my friend. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Anni, :=) Your first photo of the Cormorants with reflection is magical. The White winged dove is such a beauty, and a new bird to me. Wonderful photography throughout your post.
    All the best.
    ps I hope you did not have flooding over the weekend, and all is well.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents